Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Fremantle & Changes for R9 vs Bulldogs

Best 5 vs Freo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a depressing game. Although the worst thing was the umpiring. We were pillaged. But I counted 4 head high tackles in a row, 2 by them, 2 by us, and no free. I'm just sitting there thinking 'I have no idea what the rules of this game are anymore'. 10 meter kicks are fine, except when Dusty takes the mark :huh:. It's just so bad it makes watching the game painful.

We had no run from behind. When we did take the game on we were OK. But we were totally outsized inside and in our forward line.

People attacking Dow miss what he was doing. Dow was trying to play as the main inside 86-90kg mid. He did a great job of mitigating the fact that he was totally out of place in his role. We had that all over the place, except the backline. That made it very hard. So many of our players were basically playing in the wrong spot all day it sucked. Doesn't excuse the lack of dare. But the kids hopefully learnt something playing out of their weight class.

On some of the players.
Brown, pretty good. Happy. Love his kicking. Looks like a long term 2nd tall, quarterback type.
Sonsie, nice kicking and a lot of good thinking, but often not great completion. Look slow or too outside, or something. If he can play that connecting outside-ish mid role he should be fine, or even very good.
MRJ, patchy. Some great stuff, some meh stuff.
Hugo, good. Looked better in spots. Lot of work with
Brown, lovely skills at times. Didn't impact a lot, but those few things show you what he can do.
Lefau, great job. But he is a 2nd tall. Or even third tall doing the defensive job and providing assistance. Not the main man.
Miller, really good, and the aggression looks good.
Young, solid, kicking is better,.
Mansell, good. But his role requires us to get the ball forward so he can do the defensive stuff and maybe hit to scoreboard.
Dow, great intensity and movement, few nice skills. But he needs the beast guy to play alongside. He is not your main man.
Campbell, ball didn't get to him very much. Was OK on the little he had.

Older guys mostly meh. Vloss, Baker, Nank, Martin good. Pickett had an impact but his role to fill holes. Without him we have problems in players filling those holes - but relying on Marlion to play inside and outside mid, ruck, forward and tag shows how screwed we are. Short is very slow and looks to have lost some edge (hopefully just coming back from injury thing)

I haven't seen a full game for a while due to clashes. I saw this to see the kids. i saw a lot of talent. But we have bare cupboards for genuine contested mids, and KPFs. If a team focused on the contest and intercept marking we're shot. Freo did that with some decent ball movement at times. But right now we'll only beat teams that can't compete. As supporters we have to accept that we can't compete atm. Blaming kids etc is poor. Getting upset of senior players consistently missing easy 30m passes is another things though. We're down on confidence and need players back.

Ultimately what a lot of us feared before the game… Freos bigger and more experienced midfield controlled the game

Not sure what the answer is right now until we get some more experience back in the midfield even with Prestia back in I still think it might be a bridge to far against the dogs on ball brigade who are also very strong

So that guys nickname is Dick Little 🤔

Ok, we know the midfield is decimated and we have no key forwards so hard to keep the structure going.

Some support Mansell to be in the side and keep going on about him and Campbell playing more as high half forwards but what use is that to the team when we are not kicking goals. Today I saw countless times the ball go over the top and we had no small forwards playing deep to run on to the ball.

Mansell 8 disposals and 2 tackles. Kicked a goal mid-way through the last. Enough is enough time to go back to the ressies, get a kick and maybe muster a goal.

Campbell that's 6 games now with no goals and 1 tackle.

They are not providing enough and surely not on the scoreboard. They should not have a mortgage on these positions.

Junior had a shocker but he has runs on the board from his last 3 games.

Ins: Balta, Hopper, Prestia, Ryan, Coulthard OR Cumberland, (I'd prefer Prestia not come in but wouldn't be surprised if they rush him back in. I would much rather McAuliffe to come in.
Outs: Mansell, Campbell, Naismith, Banks, Dow

We are too short up forward. Ryan and Balta will help. If Balta rucks we have Ryan there with Lefau assisting. Vice versa if Ryan rucks and Balta as the main forward.

I think Campbell needs to be reprogrammed as a winger. He's a good runner. Banks doesn't go hard enough and again had zero tackles.
I'm guessing 4 changes Max and I don't think Dow will be dropped yet and probably not Mansell. I think the 4th will probably be Macca given he has been sub the last 2 games and we potential have some other decent experience to come in.

Martin and Riewoldt beefed up
I'd say both just matured rather than stacked on muscle and neither look ripped like the bulk of other teams players. It's like we just ask players to do the bare minimum in the gym instead of pushing gains. Keeping our players lithe obviously isnt helping with injuries.

You can't just play all the kids you end up like Norf. Yes, Grimes and Pickett are no longer in their prime and might be coasting a bit, but they need to play
So... Because they're old they just get a free pass to phone it in each week?
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Hey CB17 we were losing games with nearly all those Senior blokes in last year. We have a terrible list and lots of seriously undersized footballers who've put on nothing after 3 seasons.
You're a complicated man TI. Last year all we read was Mini can't coach, Dimma plays his favourites, We should be playing the kids from you as they're talented.
This year, we have a ton of injuries which has resulted in the kids being played. Now they're undersized and shit.
The weekend just gone:
Freo: S Darcy - 25, 203cm, 101 games. C Serong - 23, 180, 88 games. H Young - 23, 189cm, 65 games. A Brayshaw - 24, 185, 131 games.
Midfield ranked (performance wise top 4 in the league, as is their defence).
Richmond: T Nankervis - 29, 199, 143. L Baker - 26, 173, 117. T Dow - 22, 184, 25. M Pickett - 32, 184, 88.
Alternate Richmond - Nankervis, Taranto - 26, 188cm, 142. J Hopper - 27, 187, 133 and J Ross - 23, 187, 68 games.

There's a fair difference there in size and experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

media putting blowtorch on bevvo and the dooges

if I had a dollar for how many times this has happened in our history I'd be a multi millionaire
Has there even been a million games of footy? Lol

Only kid we played yesterday was Campbell the rest have had over three preseasons at the club and two are still physically undersized and should not play again. It’s the old guys that are really killing us with no effort, constantly beaten to the ball , poor disposal and even terrible discipline. Yze doesn’t have a well drilled side bc the basics are lacking and if you can’t get them right then everything else looks uglier.
Just confirming, Dimma - no good, Mini - definitely no good. Yze - no good?

You're a complicated man TI. Last year all we read was Mini can't coach, Dimma plays his favourites, We should be playing the kids from you as they're talented.
This year, we have a ton of injuries which has resulted in the kids being played. Now they're undersized and s**t.
The weekend just gone:
Freo: S Darcy - 25, 203cm, 101 games. C Serong - 23, 180, 88 games. H Young - 23, 189cm, 65 games. A Brayshaw - 24, 185, 131 games.
Midfield ranked (performance wise top 4 in the league, as is their defence).
Richmond: T Nankervis - 29, 199, 143. L Baker - 26, 173, 117. T Dow - 22, 184, 25. M Pickett - 32, 184, 88.
Alternate Richmond - Nankervis, Taranto - 26, 188cm, 142. J Hopper - 27, 187, 133 and J Ross - 23, 187, 68 games.

There's a fair difference there in size and experience.
That's not what we were discussing and i'm trying to simplify your argument as even with all the blokes you mentioned barring one we were still getting belted last year. Do you understand?

That's not what we were discussing and i'm trying to simplify your argument as even with all the blokes you mentioned barring one we were still getting belted last year. Do you understand?
I think I demonstrated why we are getting belted. Do you understand? Last season we had a coach walk out mid year. Cotch and Jack in their final years, no Lynch.
This year right now no Taranto, Hopper, Ross, Graham or Prestia to run through the midfield. It's been a rooted year and a half. Yze inherited this list. Let's just see where it goes.

Are you happy with the discipline and effort of our skipper and some of the senior players and with the MC?
With Hopper, Prestia, Taranto, Ross, Graham, Lynch, Balta and Gibcus all out, what exactly can the MC do? And I challenge any team to have the equivalent outs and see how they go.
So to summise, given the injuries we have, there's SFA we can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Fremantle & Changes for R9 vs Bulldogs

Back