Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to intrude guys... straight up I'll admit that I've got Dan in my SC team however I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts on how he has performed this past month?

In full flight I think he is great to watch and was my tip to truly break out this year but he seems to be labouring atm and lacks intensity. I know he had a shoulder issue earlier in the season but he doesn't have any strapping on it so I figure it should be OK?

He broke out years ago. At the start of the season though he went to another level. Was one of the best players in the league until his shoulder imo.

Has been up and down ever since. Will be good one week and average the next. He’s also playing a weird position where I’m not quite sure he’s a midfielder or a defender. Playing a back sweeper deep midfield role similar to how we play Dbj. Relying on those two to drive us forward, which works and is a big part in us beating teams.

But still his intercepting has dropped well away and even his pinpoint kicking while still awesome has been occasionally unreliable.

He broke out years ago. At the start of the season though he went to another level. Was one of the best players in the league until his shoulder imo.

Has been up and down ever since. Will be good one week and average the next. He’s also playing a weird position where I’m not quite sure he’s a midfielder or a defender. Playing a back sweeper deep midfield role similar to how we play Dbj. Relying on those two to drive us forward, which works and is a big part in us beating teams.

But still his intercepting has dropped well away and even his pinpoint kicking while still awesome has been occasionally unreliable.
Totally agree with everything you said, looked better on Friday night so hopefully he can get back to that early season form. He was absolutely flying & great to watch. Thanks for the reply :)

No strapping on the shoulder hopefully his over it was much better Friday night.
Is so important to us with his ball use into the forward 50.

We looked pretty good early in the year when Houston and Butters were hitting targets inside 50. These are the players you want with the ball 50-70m from goal.

Dan looked like he was recapturing his early season form On Friday. If we can get Butters up and running too, we will be a shot.

Playing a back sweeper deep midfield role similar to how we play Dbj. Relying on those two to drive us forward, which works and is a big part in us beating teams.

And this is also why we struggle against the better teams, they find a way to nullify both Houston and DBJ, whereas the lesser teams seem content in letting them run loose.

It didn't look like Collingwood put much time into stopping Houston.

This is where I believe Lienert is important, as he can play a similar role. Burton can also do it, but seems to play more defensively.

Wow. I hate long contracts but ah well, guess it'd take a miracle for him not to be featuring in our 25-26 sides at a minimum

Only 24 (thought he was older) not bad for rookie draft pick-up. Oozes class, reminds me of batsmen you hardly notice raising his bat to the crowd

on reaching 50 and then only getting a round of applause because the PA announced it. He's like the overdrive gear, motoring along in languid mode

yet the scenery flashes past.

Onya Dan well done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only 24 (thought he was older) not bad for rookie draft pick-up. Oozes class, reminds me of batsmen you hardly notice raising his bat to the crowd

on reaching 50 and then only getting a round of applause because the PA announced it. He's like the overdrive gear, motoring along in languid mode

yet the scenery flashes past.

Onya Dan well done

an all rounder as well

elite in the air for his size and tough at ground level

To the end of 2027 makes this a 6 year deal, really. I can’t recall Port having a player contracted for the next 6 seasons before. It is a huge vote of confidence in a guy who was our last pick in the rookie draft. Well done Dan.

No surprise it was Carlton sniffing around. Voss is already modelling the Carlton midfield on Port 2021- Cripps=Wines, Hewitt=Drew, Walsh=Boak Cerra=Butters. Clearly he wanted Houston=Houston.

Come a long way from getting dropped for Shanghai 2017 because they hadn't printed a guernsey with his number on it.

But was that the reason?

Iirc Dan made a pointed remark about games being gifted to some players and not others.

He was playing well at the time and as for not having a guernsey with his number on it, if that's what the club trotted out at the time I call BS

One of the most dependable players in the side. Can play a variety of roles. I don't like him on ball but as a flanker/wing he is a truly gifted player. As good a kick inside 50 in the comp (now let him show off that skill as opposed to bombing it in deep, Ken).

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back