Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd on Footy Classified made the point last night that midfielders who kick multiple goals are becoming the stars of the comp, no longer the big KPFs.

He talked about Luke Parker kicking 5 for Sydney against GWS being the star and the difference, playing midfield and pushing forward and talked about Dusty starting the trend, Dangerfield and now Petracca, who he thinks is the best player in the comp.

If Dan plays midfield and pushes forward he has a better kick and longer kick than the above and he can do the Steph Curry type play and goal from 45-55m out. Let's hope he keeps going at around 2 goals a game and finishes the year in the 30-40 range.

It won't be easy, but his elite kicking gives him a big chance. Rest him in the forward line for part of the game when the other mids are playing well.

And the umps love goal kicking mids more than mids who only kick a few the last 5 years or so. I will ignore 2020 because it was a shortened season.

Martin in 2017 kicked 37 goals/25 games when he won the brownlow and followed it up with 31/23 and 31/23.
In 2016 he kicked 9/22 got 25 brownlow votes, next year he got 36. Then went down to 19 and 23 after setting such a high bar in 2017. Total disposal give a good indication the mix of mid and forward time, 2016 - 684, 2017 - 744, 2018 - 583, 2019 - 600.

Dangerfield in his brownlow year 2016 kicked 24 goals from 24 games with 35 votes, next year it was 45/24 + 33 votes and 2019 it was 27/24 + 27 votes. Disposals 2016 - 762, 2017 - 718, 2019- 650

Petracca in 2021 was 29/25, 23 votes, 730 disposals. In 2017 he played mainly forward 26/22, 2 votes, 414 disposals.

Bontempelli in 2021 31/26, 33 votes, 695 disposals. 2016 26/26, 20 votes and 633 disposals.

Let's look at Port's main midfielders of the last decade who spent time pushing or playing forward.

Wines in 2021 10/24, 36 votes, 777 disposals. Best year for goals 2017, 15/23, 18 brownlow votes and 628 disposals. 2017 was Ollie's 2nd best year for brownlow votes and disposals.

Boak in 2013 first year as captain 20/23, 13 votes, 581 disposals. 2014 19/24, 21 votes, 644 disposals. matched 2014 in 2017+18 playing the BS high half forward years 2017 - 19/22, 10 votes, 495 disposals 2018 19/22, 2 votes and 481 disposals.

Ebert kicked 17 twice. 2012 17/22, 9 votes, 504 disposals. 2016 17/21, 2 votes 386 disposals.

Gray's 4 dominate years made 2014 42/25, 14 votes 622 disposals, 2015 25/21, 13 votes 552 disposals, 2016 25/19, 19 votes 499 disposals, 2017, 47/23, 12 votes 436 disposals. He made all Oz side in 2014,15 and 17. In 2018 he made All Oz but spent more time up forward 36/21, 8 votes and 439 disposals.

Houston with 2 goals, 36 disposals and probably 3 brownlow votes has started 2022 well to catch all of the above. I doubt Dan will get hard tagged too often, so if he keeps winning the ball, especially close to 50m out from goal, he should be having shots on goal, unless hitting targets.

Houston with 2 goals, 36 disposals and probably 3 brownlow votes has started 2022 well to catch all of the above. I doubt Dan will get hard tagged too often, so if he keeps winning the ball, especially close to 50m out from goal, he should be having shots on goal, unless hitting targets.
Good post, but if he keeps playing like he did on the weekend this will change fast.

Could mean Ollie or Karlos gets absolutely off the chain.

great game by the kid and has been improving every time i watch him
Will he be playing midfield all year or was it just the way things worked out last week

looks like a 25+ poss player now

Plan is to play him through the midfield all year. With the emergence of Bonner late last year along with Lachie Jones and even Bergman down back, there's a plethora of backs that have allowed him to push further forward this season. Only question mark I have with him is his speed (sometimes it looks like he's moving in quicksand) but otherwise he has all the necessary traits to be an elite midfielder of the competition.

I only saw bits and pieces of the game but I thought it was interesting on the new Port podcast with Rockliff and Fantasia they were talking about how we were trying to get the ball to Houston in the middle so I'm glad to hear we're recognising what a great kick he is and making use of it. That to me says he'd be a prime target to be tagged though, since it's normally those outside receiver types who are the easiest to shut down. If that's the case we'll see how good his tank is since it'll come down to him outworking his opponent.

Last night i spent about 90 minutes looking for a graphic either Rendell put up on Footy SA or was on Footy Classified that looked at our midfield main 3 and compared them to other teams.

I thought I put it in the stats thread or somewhere in here, but can't find it anywhere, and it had our 3 mids Wines, Boak and Drew and showed their average disposals 33,27 and 17.7 respectively.

They were contrasted to Melbourne - Oliver, Petracca and Viney, WB - Bontempelli, Macrae and Treloar, Gee - Dangerfield, Duncan and Selwood and Brisbane - Neale, Zorko and Lyons.

Port's total was 8 to 10 less total disposals per game. Rendell or whoever it was doing the analysis, said Drew or whoever becomes the 3rd amigo in the middle, has to get around 25 to match the others.

Whilst Dan wont get 36 every week, if he averages in that 25 to 30 range then he becomes part of the solution to match the best teams midfield group.

Last edited:
Last night i spent about 90 minutes looking for a graphic either Rendell put up on Footy SA or was on Footy Classified that looked at our midfield main 3 and compared them to other teams.

I though I put it in the stats thread or somewhere in here, but can't find it anywhere, and it had our 3 mids Wines, Boak and Drew and showed their average disposals 33,27 and 17.7 respectively.

They were contrasted to Melbourne - Oliver, Petracca and Viney, WB - Bontempelli, Macrae and Treloar, Gee - Dangerfield, Duncan and Selwood and Brisbane - Neale, Zorko and Lyons.

Port's total was 8 to 10 less total disposals per game. Rendell or whoever it was doing the analysis, said Drew or whoever becomes the 3rd amigo in the middle, has to get around 25 to match the others.

Whilst Dan wont get 36 every week, if he averages in that 25 to 30 range then he becomes part of the solution to match the best teams midfield group.
And Butters 27 with 8 clearances as well. It's a big change from last year, as long as they all stay fit.

Interesting that he left Libba out of the dogs trio. He was the 7th best player across the year per AFL player ratings, though I saw last weekend that Bevo has done a Hinkley and shoved his best centre square mid into the half forwardline, so maybe Rendell was right to.

I though I put it in the stats thread or somewhere in here, but can't find it anywhere, and it had our 3 mids Wines, Boak and Drew and showed their average disposals 33,27 and 17.7 respectively.

It's more than that.

Bulldogs have Bontempelli, Macrae, Treloar, Liberatore, Dunkley and Smith who all averaged 23+ possessions per game in 2021.

Melbourne have Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw who all averaged 23+ possessions per game in 2021.

Geelong have Gutherie, Duncan, Dangerfield, Menegola and Selwood who all averaged 23+ possessions per game in 2021.

Conversely, Brisbane only had two in Neale and Lyons, and Port had Wines, Boak and Amon.

We need Wines, Boak, Houston, Butters and Amon to be averaging 23+ a week to take the next step.

It's more than that.

Bulldogs have Bontempelli, Macrae, Treloar, Liberatore, Dunkley and Smith who all averaged 23+ possessions per game in 2021.

Melbourne have Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw who all averaged 23+ possessions per game in 2021.

Geelong have Gutherie, Duncan, Dangerfield, Menegola and Selwood who all averaged 23+ possessions per game in 2021.

Conversely, Brisbane only had two in Neale and Lyons, and Port had Wines, Boak and Amon.

We need Wines, Boak, Houston, Butters and Amon to be averaging 23+ a week to take the next step.
yeah depth is bloody important, but the analysis was of the main 3 that play in the centre square / attend centre bounce downs and it was a simple comparison of those 3 by disposal.

However they also did this type of comparison, which I forgot about. About 15 minutes ago I found this in the No More Flakey Flankers thread I started after we lost the PF and looks like the analysis was done on the Monday Footy Classified after the PF.

1631603261251-png.1235693

Seems to be having a chop and change role this year.

Started in the middle, then moved to the wing, then half back, especially after Rozee and Butters got a run through the middle and Dumont has come into the side.

Ok looks like he has never started at centre bounce downs this year. But those early games he was pushing up to stoppages then, as he won a lot of ball at/around stoppages in the early games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesnt get the recognition he deserves, but they are starting to take notice!

AFL CHAMPION DATA REVEALS NEW HIGHEST RATED PLAYER

Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne revealed the numbers on SEN’s Sportsday.

Port Adelaide midfielder Zak Butters is the highest rated player in the AFL after 10 weeks. The 22-year-old had a career night last Friday, picking up 41 disposals and kicking two goals against Melbourne.

“The other one I wanted to add in there is Dan Houston. He has now come in as the 10th highest rated player across the season. Port Adelaide having two of the top 10 is probably pretty indicative in terms of what they’re doing right now.”

Last edited:

"(Over the years) he's changed the way he's coached and how he coaches individuals because obviously everyone's different."

The social media team added the bit in brackets - without those words Dan's comment could be interpreted differently. He probably means since Tredders told a few home truths. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back