Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

The real reason that Hinkley/Davies always trades out the Houstons of the side is that you get to replace a finished product with someone that can grow in to the finished product. There is accountability when you're failing with a finished product, but by getting a younger player you kick the can of accountability down the road. Its been going on for 12 years.

Get those two out and Dan can stay.

this is just to butter us up for the incoming "mass exodus" articles that will inevitably get pumped out when hinkley goes, nobody we don't want to lose will go. the players will throw a massive party when hinkley goes, except Ryan Burton the snitch, he isn't invited

this is just to butter us up for the incoming "mass exodus" articles that will inevitably get pumped out when hinkley goes, nobody we don't want to lose will go. the players will throw a massive party when hinkley goes, except Ryan Burton the snitch, he isn't invited
Haha why is Ryan Burton a snitch?

Until now.

Not even now. The quote is other clubs have him on a watch list. They probably have plenty of players on watch lists.

There's been no talk of Houston being unsettled like there were with Wingard etc.

I'm a bit late to the party.

I am a Dan fan and overall since he arrived here as a rookie pick he has applied himself professionally and been a pretty good dude over the journey.

He is a touch soft and could be closer on his man but he is one of the best half back seagulls in the league. Yes, you can replace him but you aren't going to get nearly as much as Houston is worth.

I don't think he is going anywhere but if he was I'd be doing two 1st Rounders for him.

I'm happy to keep Dan Houston any day of the week unless it is a Godfather deal.

Not even now. The quote is other clubs have him on a watch list. They probably have plenty of players on watch lists.

There's been no talk of Houston being unsettled like there were with Wingard etc.

Managers of any club would be spoken too all the time.

It's like saying we haven't sounded out coaching prospects, Scott, Buckley etc...

It’s the timing of the story that makes me think there might be some truth to it. If a club comes knocking with a good deal, why wouldn’t we entertain it?

I would much rather trade out Marshall & Wines, but there market value wouldn’t be anywhere near what Houston’s would be.

I'll give it to the shitshows in charge. Every time I think 'surely they can't add anything new (as opposed to the never ending people that should have been sacked list) to the reasons to hate them and everything they stand for, they still keep on delivering.

If there's any truth to the club wanting Dan gone, it's everything wrong in a nutshell. Selling out to save Hinkley and co., in the hope something new 'is the missing piece' or at least if not then something to hide behind. If Dan is on the trade table I expect stories to leak that he's aloof, doesn't train hard enough, doesn't keep his jumper clean so he can't be picked for Games in Shangai etc.

The club will start shitting on him via their proxies, simultaneously ensuring he then has to be traded as bridges are burnt, whilst driving his price down, as other clubs will know it can't be walked back at that point. Step 1 will be a Rucci article on how trading an established player or two would be wins for everyone and coincidently Dan will be used 'just as an example'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's my point. Club has history in 'being open to players to exploring the market' if it thinks it can extract value
Wingard has been the only decent player that is comparable to Houston though. The others such as Duursma, Howard and Ladhams aren't in that conversation.

Houston would be a surprising player to shop around because not only has he consistently been in a top 3 or 4 players for the last few years, he has recently been added to our leadership group. He is also at the top of his game right now, whereas Wingard was showing signs of decline.

I'm not reading too much into it just yet.

We definitely don't want what's best for the team and the club that pays us hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. What we want is what makes our friend happy ❤️

What a wonderful high performance culture we have cultivated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back