Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't suit the narrative of the demon Hinkley.

Yeah look it's fine to pile on Hinkley, Davies etc but it has to be justified. In this (rare) case, it isn't.

The dream is getting two first rounders - The reality is one first and a future second. Perhaps some pick swaps but we won't get the true worth of Dan. I want Dan to stay at least for another year under a different coach.

I want Dan to stay full stop and I haven't heard anything from his mouth that suggests he wants to go. As far as I am concerned the recent pages of this thread are based on fake news originating from some Victorian based media source with too much spare time on his hands. Out of interest I Googled the name Callum Twomey and all I got was a series of phantom form guides and Draft predictions. I think this is another piece of phantom shite from a guy who lives in fantasyland.

When you look at the stats and look at the game each week Dan is close to our most consistent player and trading out a sure thing even for two first round Draft picks is a gamble. I think we should be hanging on to the assets already on our list and building on them not trading them off in a game of Draft poker. Dan has done remarkably well under the present dysfunctional game plan and I do not think we need to see how he performs with another Coach.

Until I hear different from Dan or his agent I will assume that Dan Houston is staying.

Last edited:
The dream is getting two first rounders - The reality is one first and a future second. Perhaps some pick swaps but we won't get the true worth of Dan. I want Dan to stay at least for another year under a different coach.

With three years on his contract we will.

Yeah look it's fine to pile on Hinkley, Davies etc but it has to be justified. In this (rare) case, it isn't.
If we don’t get a decent first rounder at least then I WILL blame them.

1. For not having the environment to keep him.
2. For bending over in a trade.
3. For not holding him to his contract because the price wasn’t right.

I want Dan to stay full stop and I haven't heard anything from his mouth that suggests he wants to go. As far as I am concerned the recent pages of this thread are based on fake news originating from some Victorian based media source with too much spare time on his hands.

I don't have much faith in anything the media either, 90% of it is clickbait.

I like Houston as a player (seems like a good bloke too) and would love him at the Dees but I think the asking price will be too high. Which is risky given there are comprimised drafts on the horizon.

Who on earth is giving us 2 first rounders for Houston?

We would be the softest of ***** to not ask for that.

I mean Geelong wanted a 1st for an out of contract esava and settled for 25 lol. Soldos corpse cost a cpl of second rounders and upgraded pick.

He’s one of the top players in his position in the afl. Arguably top couple of players at our club right now but definitely in the top 4.

If we were asking for him from another club the asking price would be butters, 2 decent firsts or Bergman and a top ten pick.

I’m not sure why we should expect less.

we get much worse losing him and another team gets much better.

I'm going to double down.

I think Faz can be the number one seagull down back quarterbacking our attacks from defence.

Faz has been with us for 7 seasons now, he’s a first 22 quality player and useful for the drive he gives us but he’s easily 2 levels below Houston and he’s not suddenly going to become better without him.

Farrells also not as good all round as Houston. I’m a Farrell fan, he’s quality, he’s just not Houston quality nor as good an all-rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would be the softest of ***** to not ask for that.

I mean Geelong wanted a 1st for an out of contract esava and settled for 25 lol. Soldos corpse cost a cpl of second rounders and upgraded pick.

He’s one of the top players in his position in the afl. Arguably top couple of players at our club right now but definitely in the top 4.

If we were asking for him from another club the asking price would be butters, 2 decent firsts or Bergman and a top ten pick.

I’m not sure why we should expect less.

we get much worse losing him and another team gets much better.

Faz has been with us for 7 seasons now, he’s a first 22 quality player and useful for the drive he gives us but he’s easily 2 levels below Houston and he’s not suddenly going to become better without him.

Farrells also not as good all round as Houston. I’m a Farrell fan, he’s quality, he’s just not Houston quality nor as good an all-rounder.

I didn’t say he wasn’t worth it, I asked who would pay it.

Surely if Houston wants out of a recently signed contract extension which has three years remaining on it, we can say to him, "we'll get you home, but we need some give and take on who that club is. We need the best deal out of this".

Surely if Houston wants out of a recently signed contract extension which has three years remaining on it, we can say to him, "we'll get you home, but we need some give and take on who that club is. We need the best deal out of this".

I've more than a passing suspicion Melbourne have been in his ear for a while and have put up a more than generous offer to Houston to get him over there.

Apparently Melbourne have an academy kid next year they are likely to take 1st round. I think they will part with that pick as part of the Houston deal.

This should be a deal that gets done day one of trade. Melbourne should not even be talking to Houston if they think they are paying less.

If Houston goes it's time to rebuild " David King"

lol
He's not wrong really. You can't keep playing a bunch of kids and trading our players as they hit their peak. Trading our Houston is a huge signal that you're not within reach of a premiership. Whether it's our choice or not, it doesn't matter. The result is that in the very short term at least you make yourself significantly worse and lose some quality on-field leadership. If it's been initiated by Houston, then we need to question the types of conversations and relationship we have with our players when extending them. If we knew and we locked him in to keep his trade value, I'd still question the timing given the next few seasons you're going to start hitting peak Rozee, Butters, JHF, Bergman, Georgie etc.

Houston is definitely the better player but Kane has similar stats to him and Faz has usually played as the 2nd or 3rd seagull behind Houston all of his defending life.

I wonder if Faz is the number 1 seagull whether he can lift his game. I mean, his kicking is just as good if not better than Houston. He surprisingly gains more metres per game already, Houston 498 metres to Faz 520 metres. He is a few possies down but with Houston gone, Faz would be the number 1 option running off half back and be actively sort after especially from centre clearances that make their way down back. The possies are Houston 23 to Faz 20. Marks are about the same. Tackling sameish. Houston with more clangers but he gets more attention so that is to be expected. Scoring involvements Houston 4 to Faz 5. Faz would have to increase his intercept game with only 3 a game to Houston's 5.

It just doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that Faz could take over the Number 1 Seagull role as he is close to those numbers already and has the skillset. We will see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back