Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

WARNING TO CLUB:
I WILL NOT RENEW MY FAMILY SEASON TICKETS IF YOU TRADE DAN HOUSTON. (<THAT IS A FULL STOP)

If it is for personal reasons, Port will take unders. We seem to value wellbeing of players

Shame the club they go to doesn’t!

We have taken unders for too many players and paid overs for those that wanted to come to us for their wellbeing.

We need to stop being so damned stupid.

Wait.. so the reason he is looking to move to Melbourne is because he's hooked up with a girlfriend? I thought there was some sort of family health issue.

If it's just because his new partner is from Melbourne, I say play absolute hardball. What the hell, this would set an awful precedent.

Agree. Under those specific circumstances, for the <checks Champion data ratings> allegedly 4th best player in the comp with three plus years left on a contract, someone needs to pay through the nose and it doesn't need to be us at all. That's not even hardball, it's merely fair and legit.

Agree. Under those specific circumstances, for the <checks Champion data ratings> allegedly 4th best player in the comp with three plus years left on a contract, someone needs to pay through the nose and it doesn't need to be us at all. That's not even hardball, it's merely fair and legit.
2 firsts or gtfo/ K Pickett plus change or gtfo.

Anything less should not even be contemplated.

If rebuilding means moving on Dixon, Boak, Burton then I’m all for it
Not sure why Boak's copping it. The other 2 I totally understand but there's been games this season where Boak has been very good for us. Still think he's effective in short bursts, which is why I think he should be a sub for us next year. I get he's taking up a list spot but he's the one player at the club right now that I would let walk out on his terms. If he wants to retire its different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BuT KozzZiE Is WoRHt MorE.
I know, right?!?!?!

Hoyne stated that Dan was 4th overall at the moment and you have to remember that is with only 23 possies a game against the top flight midfielders who average around 30.

It just shows you the amount of juice he has kicking the ball. Just sublime.

I think I mentioned it earlier but he is almost like another midfielder in your team, that is the type of impact he has running off as a seagull with a hot chip. Imagine the opportunities he gets with May, Lever and also McVee intercepting the ball. It doesn't surprise me he has chosen Melbourne at all.

So what I'm trying to say is that Houston has an impact better than most midfielders with 7 less disposals. That's how quietly amazing a player Dan is.

Last edited:
The other aspect in all of this is that the Melbourne List Management Team is IMHO the best in the AFL with both drafting and trading so I have little to no doubt the deal will get done if Houston wants to go back to Melbourne.

They have put up first rounders for quality backmen in the past with May and Lever and Houston is right up there.

Is this different to the last time AA asked him? He sounds like he's reading Bergman's script.

These days it seems contracts mean very little with clubs happy to trade or players seeking to move on.

"Family reasons" being the most flexible and emotive reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back