Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out Dan gotta say ive changed my opinion on you !
this situation has pissed me off
port seen the talent in you and gave you a chance at afl and gave you a decent extension now with our team in a good position to finish the year well this sh*t keeps surfacing go chase all the dollars your after hopefully the team you land at finishes last next year grass isn't always greener matey!!
How can you change your opinion of him without knowing if any of the above is true? You’re basing it all on speculation.

Just because he's getting cold feet on Melbourne doesn't mean he's staying at Port. He still wants to get back to Victoria. The issue is finding a club willing to pay the price (two first round picks). Melbourne were willing to do it and that's why Houston's agent steered him in that direction.

I personally think Port should make an effort to bring his girlfriend out here for the next few years. If my mail is correct, she's currently working in admin - not exactly a job that requires you to be in the office in today's paperless society.

But if they can get the two first rounders, he's out of here.
All good mate. Not Having a dig at you or your sources, but at the moment it appears to be closer to Houston staying, as Watto's source said, than a settlement with Melbourne early in the trade period.

All good mate. Not Having a dig at you or your sources, but at the moment it appears to be closer to Houston staying, as Watto's source said, than a settlement with Melbourne early in the trade period.

Yeah I get where you're coming from.
He may stay - but that would stem from no team wanting to give up the price Port have set.

Anyone saying at this time that Houston doesn't want to get back to Victoria next year is absolutely kidding themselves.

There has certainly been cases in the past where a player (or his manager) has wanted a pay rise and ports told them to go away and come back with the best offer.

Either they don’t want to match and the other club then has to co back with a suitable trade or they choose to satisfy the players and they stay.

Melbourne are cooked. Dan is a bloody good player I’d prefer to keep him, unless we could extract a player like Pickett, or Nasiah from StK.

I could see Dan going to StKilda - isn’t his good old party mate Dougal Howard still there…

Why has Houston’s management cooled on Melbourne?

What’s wrong with being honest? If we could grab 6 and 2025, just do it. Would actually wish him all the best and not Boo him on his return. Like the NRL does, it’s a business these days. Dont say I don’t want to go and be shy about it, Port get the best they can for him and at this point, with our list it’s probably picks.

Allows us to start thinking where the next Half Back is, Sinn, Lukocious?

Melbourne are cooked. Dan is a bloody good player I’d prefer to keep him, unless we could extract a player like Pickett, or Nasiah from StK.

I could see Dan going to StKilda - isn’t his good old party mate Dougal Howard still there…
On the Saints board they wanna trade Dougal back to us as part of the deal.. BLOODY GOOD!

Why has Houston’s management cooled on Melbourne?

What’s wrong with being honest? If we could grab 6 and 2025, just do it. Would actually wish him all the best and not Boo him on his return. Like the NRL does, it’s a business these days. Dont say I don’t want to go and be shy about it, Port get the best they can for him and at this point, with our list it’s probably picks.

Allows us to start thinking where the next Half Back is, Sinn, Lukocious?

They're likely to get Perryman in free agency who would immediately slot into the back line.

Lukosius will not play down back. Only wants to play forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I get where you're coming from.
He may stay - but that would stem from no team wanting to give up the price Port have set.

Anyone saying at this time that Houston doesn't want to get back to Victoria next year is absolutely kidding themselves.

Good. That’s how it should be.

Just because he's getting cold feet on Melbourne doesn't mean he's staying at Port. He still wants to get back to Victoria. The issue is finding a club willing to pay the price (two first round picks). Melbourne were willing to do it and that's why Houston's agent steered him in that direction.

I personally think Port should make an effort to bring his girlfriend out here for the next few years. If my mail is correct, she's currently working in admin - not exactly a job that requires you to be in the office in today's paperless society.

But if they can get the two first rounders, he's out of here.
Chewy I honestly think he is leaving.
My source who has been close to the club since R.Ebert days call BS but I can't ignore all of the white noise.
If someone offers the picks we want it wouldn't surprise me if he's gone.
Will be a very interesting conversation I have with my source

I don't think his motivation to depart Port is money. I'd say his motivation to choose Melbourne as his destination would be largely based on their offer to him.

Irrespective, not all players are driven by team success. Hard for us to believe as fans but it's true. Some are driven by individual accolades, some are driven by maximising their earnings, etc.
So..... Money?

So..... Money?

I'll just spell it out for the mildly illiterate among us.

Motivation to leave Port = not based on money, based on wanting to return to Victoria

Motivation to choose specific Victorian club over other Victorian clubs = largely based on money

Hope that's not too complicated for you.

I'll just spell it out for the mildly illiterate among us.

Motivation to leave Port = not based on money, based on wanting to return to Victoria

Motivation to choose specific Victorian club over other Victorian clubs = largely based on money

Hope that's not too complicated for you.

I doubt he will be here next year, we will find a way to get a good trade for him, if someone wants him it's up to them, but do you really want a guy who know has so openly said I want to go home in the lead up to finals? not ideal preparation, should be putting the club first and leaving this until our seasons finished.

I doubt he will be here next year, we will find a way to get a good trade for him, if someone wants him it's up to them, but do you really want a guy who know has so openly said I want to go home in the lead up to finals? not ideal preparation, should be putting the club first and leaving this until our seasons finished.
He hasn’t actually said it openly though, the media somehow got a hold of it. We would be naive to think that behind closed doors these discussions don’t go on at every club every year.

Hasnt effected his performance at all. These things normally happen well in advance of actual trade week

I'm worried Melbourne have ****ed us here.

Promised 2 first rounders to get Dan/Port to the table and now withdrawn.

Now Dan has it in his head he is leaving and we will be pressured to take the next best offer which night not be anywhere near as good.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Now Dan has it in his head he is leaving and we will be pressured to take the next best offer which night not be anywhere near as good.

Yeah they were my thoughts. I feel like Port's plans would be well advanced based on having the draft collateral from Dan. Hopefully we don't settle for anything less than our original cost...

Depending how much one trusts the media. it was Dan's decision a) to leave and b) to drop Melbourne not vice versa.

Tom Morris has said that Port has told any prospective suitor they have to match Melbourne's offer of two x first round - and he says Melbourne were offering this year's and next year's first - or forget it.

The party here with the power is Port. There's only one place he can play if Port's valuation is not met.

Yeah I gather that, but just keep it out of the media until we are done, I gather though that's how Caro etc. keep a job, by airing info.

Port didn't leak the Houston story. That was Steven Silvagni.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back