Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t tell me Rachele has hurt your feelings has he!

When the dust settles and the emotion of the night (congrats on beating 15th facilitated by sniping our best player) - just take a look at how you view these things. I can only guess you were one of the many booing rankine off tonight.

We have seen the impacts these concussions have. Rankine showed boxers arms tonight (a sign of genuine brain insult). Former players have suicided - and yes, it’s correlated.

Doesn’t hurt to maintain some grace / respect about it.
Tell your story walking

Did Rankine actually loose consciousness? I have looked at the vision and he appears to be moving while laying on the ground. During the last quarter I thought I heard Riccuto say that a player had passed the concussion protocols and he rounded off with, 'that is good news'. I am not sure if he was talking about Rankine though, he could have been referring to Lachie Jones.. Rankine did give a thumbs up as he left the ground on the Cow Cart. Adelaide were quick to substitute Rankine and I assume that was because he was concussed but that might not be the case. It will be interesting to see if Rankine is forced into the AFL concussion protocols.

I am left wondering if the heckling by Port fans as the Cow Cart left the arena was because some of us felt the Cows were milking the situation. Probably not as the medical staff take no chances these days.

Ben Dixon's ill informed and judgmental comments during the 3/4 time break need to be looked at by the PAFC and raised with the AFL. It would probably be pointless but worth doing if only to teach the air heads employed by FOXTEL to keep their big mouths shut. Dixon said Houston's bump was 'the worst we have seen all year' and that he made 'head high contact'. Talk about passing judgement and influencing the tribunal.

It is also worth noting that the umpires took no action other than to police the resulting scuffle. Out of it all Jason Horne-Francis appears to come away with a free. Not sure how that worked.

Did Rankine actually loose consciousness? I have looked at the vision and he appears to be moving while laying on the ground. During the last quarter I thought I heard Riccuto say that a player had passed the concussion protocols and he rounded off with, 'that is good news'. I am not sure if he was talking about Rankine though, he could have been referring to Lachie Jones.. Rankine did give a thumbs up as he left the ground on the Cow Cart. Adelaide were quick to substitute Rankine and I assume that was because he was concussed but that might not be the case. It will be interesting to see if Rankine is forced into the AFL concussion protocols.

I am left wondering if the heckling by Port fans as the Cow Cart left the arena was because some of us felt the Cows were milking the situation. Probably not as the medical staff take no chances these days.

Ben Dixon's ill informed and judgmental comments during the 3/4 time break need to be looked at by the PAFC and raised with the AFL. It would probably be pointless but worth doing if only to teach the air heads employed by FOXTEL to keep their big mouths shut. Dixon said Houston's bump was 'the worst we have seen all year' and that he made 'head high contact'. Talk about passing judgement and influencing the tribunal.

It is also worth noting that the umpires took no action other than to police the resulting scuffle. Out of it all Jason Horne-Francis appears to come away with a free. Not sure how that worked.
JHF took a mark before the umpire held up play to get Rankine off the ground.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

JHF took a mark before the umpire held up play to get Rankine off the ground.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Thanks for that.

So obviously the umpires did not see anything to require a free to Rankine? I guess they are not required to award a free but you would think they could and would have if it was warranted? If this was a deliberate head high hit in the eyes of the umps they would have whistled up play and awarded a free to the Cows before JHF had a chance to take a mark.

I have looked at the vision many times and cannot see any head high contact. The point of impact was in the chest region but there may be other vision that will tell a different story. The way Ben Dixon was going on you would think Houston had run 20 metres, let Rankine have the point of his shoulder in the jaw and put him in hospital.

Last edited:
Yeah look Dan made a mistake and should have held Rankine up rather than bumping him front on, and concussions are awful and I genuinely wish Izak all the best in his recovery as this shit goes well beyond football.

But the last thing in the world this thread needs is lectures from the racists whose players were trying to snipe ours all night long. Sort out your own backyard.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t tell me Rachele has hurt your feelings has he!

When the dust settles and the emotion of the night (congrats on beating 15th facilitated by sniping our best player) - just take a look at how you view these things. I can only guess you were one of the many booing rankine off tonight.

We have seen the impacts these concussions have. Rankine showed boxers arms tonight (a sign of genuine brain insult). Former players have suicided - and yes, it’s correlated.

Doesn’t hurt to maintain some grace / respect about it.

People get knocked out all the time. It happens to almost everyone at some point in their life. It's not a good thing but CTE is usually caused by REPEATED head trauma. Repeat concussions, minor hits in training, cumulative impacts.
Is getting laid out cold good? No of course not, but let's not give Rankine the last rites because of one KO.

In terms of CTE, someone like Todd Marshall is much more of a concern, showing concussion symptoms repeatedly from minor impacts.

Was it intentional or careless?

Was the impact high or severe?

Was he hit high or to the body?

Looked intentional despite being in play, guidelines suggest high impact rather than severe, and it was to the body - 2 games.

If the impact is graded as severe, won’t play until next year.

Remember last year when braynard literally ended Brayshaw's career and almost killed him but the AFL decides that was ok and he was free to play?
Or when Darcy Moore almost killed petracca?

I don't recall the media lining up to send either of those players to the gulag like Dixon and Healy did last night.

Edit: lol remember Kingy giving gaffy a hug, after he coward punched a teenager off the ball? King said Houston should get 8 weeks btw.

You mean we shouldn't listen to the guy in his late 40's wearing skinny jeans, air Jordans and a mullet that he's kept from the late 90's?
Bloke looks like how you'd dress a character in a remake of the movie Big

Crows
Let’s ruin their season
It’s our grand final
Their fans are toothless bogans
Celebrate at the crowd!

Also Crows
Don’t bump us too hard.

Crows
Let’s ruin their season
It’s our grand final
Their fans are toothless bogans
Celebrate at the crowd!

Also Crows
Don’t bump us too hard.

Also Crows:

**** yeah that’s the one we wanted to lose for a higher pick.

Pure nuffies

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back