Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, when the doyen of Advertiser football writers Simeon Thomas-Wilson says he's staying, he's staying.
I assume it is a quote from Dan rather than ST-W's opinion.

Chewy316 has said Dan's definitely going and his sources would be better than ST-W's.

Chewy316 has said Dan's definitely going and his sources would be better than ST-W's.
Considering how adamant he was in that interview I’d say 100% he’s staying.
He’s going to look like a total tool if he goes now, definitely does not come across as that sort of person.
Maybe he was looking at going and that’s why the word was out there but if it was something has changed.

Considering how adamant he was in that interview I’d say 100% he’s staying.
He’s going to look like a total tool if he goes now, definitely does not come across as that sort of person.
Maybe he was looking at going and that’s why the word was out there but if it was something has changed.
I agree he'll look like a tool, and as I posted when this rumour first gained traction some weeks ago, an outright liar. At least one poster with inside knowledge is adamant that Dan will request a trade and will not be at Alberton in 2025.

It's a no lose situation in my view if he's staying we keep a dual AA and if he's just fibbing in the media to take the spotlight off during finals we'll get high trade value, I have no issue either way he's given us good service.
I actually think its a net loss if he stays provided his worth and age. Genuinely think we miss out by not cashing in.

I actually think its a net loss if he stays provided his worth and age. Genuinely think we miss out by not cashing in.
I tend to agree, we could get ourselves some handy picks or players, Port seem to hang to players until they have no trade worth and then delist. Why is Clurey still on our list if they don't intend to play him, his trade value is now nothing.

On the other hand if Josh takes over next year, we could have another go at a GF, Dan would be handy in that case.

I tend to agree, we could get ourselves some handy picks or players, Port seem to hang to players until they have no trade worth and then delist. Why is Clurey still on our list if they don't intend to play him, his trade value is now nothing.

On the other hand if Josh takes over next year, we could have another go at a GF, Dan would be handy in that case.
Clurey never had trade value he's just a depth player, at his best he would've struggled to garner a late 2nd rounder.

Houston could play for another 6 years.

I think he’ll stay next year then move to a Melbourne based club the year after. Just going on the fact he’s repeated the same statement in the media multiple times not just once.

Heard his interview on Nova. Said all the right things like he loves the club, the fans and Adelaide. But just said he’ll play for Port next year. Nothing about playing beyond that or wishing to be a one club player.

Of course I could be off the mark.

It's funny because colleagues of STW have called me asking what I know about certain Port things to assist in their investigative articles for the Tiser 😂.

You've missed a bit of what I've said. Before Melbourne became a dumpster fire he was 100% going. Things have changed. He still wants to get to Victoria but whether there will be a team who is willing to pay the two 1st round picks is another question.

He's not lying when he says he's staying at Port next year - because no team has come to the party to meet Port's valuation yet. But if that changes, so will his stance of staying at Port next year.

There's still 6 and a half weeks until the trade period finishes so plenty of twists and turns left in this one.

It's funny because colleagues of STW have called me asking what I know about certain Port things to assist in their investigative articles for the Tiser 😂.

You've missed a bit of what I've said. Before Melbourne became a dumpster fire he was 100% going. Things have changed. He still wants to get to Victoria but whether there will be a team who is willing to pay the two 1st round picks is another question.

He's not lying when he says he's staying at Port next year - because no team has come to the party to meet Port's valuation yet. But if that changes, so will his stance of staying at Port next year.

There's still 6 and a half weeks until the trade period finishes so plenty of twists and turns left in this one.
Port has to keep insisting on two 1st round picks and not waver.

Don’t know if you know whether Dan doesn’t want to see Port short changed in a trade deal. That he wants to do the right thing by the club

I actually think it’s a net loss if he stays provided his worth and age. Genuinely think we miss out by not cashing in.

This is where I’m at.

But that also depends on what we get.

If we get less than 2 firsts we may as well keep him as there’s limited benefit to him leaving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's your strategy though? Wait til players become dual All Australians and then trade them when they reach 28 years old?

What's your strategy though? Wait til players become dual All Australians and then trade them when they reach 28 years old?
No that's not what i'm saying, if Dan wants to go then he gets what he wants and we get well rewarded. We have nothing in this years draft so if a player wants to go home well that puts us back in the draft. If Dan wants to stay well that's fine too but remember when a player gets home sick, may be he would be better off going home.

We are not pushing Houston out, that's his decision so if he ends up leaving we need to get the best possible return.

With Dan at least you know what you get, a two time all Australian player who is most probably one of the best kicks going around.
You take a pot shot at the draft you could get a top player or an Andrew Moore.
Most likely something in between that’s capable of playing AFL.
It be nice to get two top players but it would be more likely we get another Sinn or someone like that.

Depending on the makeup of the rest of the squad, then YES!

Middle of a dynasty with them as a key cog? NO.

With a young upcoming set of players in their position and we can get 2 first rounders? YES

For example if (big if) Dixon was 28 and making AA teams, I wouldn’t trade him as we don’t have the quality coming through.

With Dan at least you know what you get, a two time all Australian player who is most probably one of the best kicks going around.
You take a pot shot at the draft you could get a top player or an Andrew Moore.
Most likely something in between that’s capable of playing AFL.
It be nice to get two top players but it would be more likely we get another Sinn or someone like that.
Agreed but it's in his hands, ultimately the club knows who they want and if Dan finds his way home so be it, we will get a good return for him.

Agreed but it's in his hands, ultimately the club knows who they want and if Dan finds his way home so be it, we will get a good return for him.
I personally don’t think he’s going but yes we definitely need to stand firm for once on our demands.
I do have a problem with that as the club have a past of being too nice when the hammer falls.
I take that into account when I make my opinion that I would prefer him to stay.
I just don’t trust the people running the show.

I personally don’t think he’s going but yes we definitely need to stand firm for once on our demands.
I do have a problem with that as the club have a past of being too nice when the hammer falls.
I take that into account when I make my opinion that I would prefer him to stay.
I just don’t trust the people running the show.
Yep spot on, we must stand firm and get his true value if he leaves, I don't trust the club either, it might get interesting.

I actually think it's a net loss if he stays provided his worth and age. Genuinely think we miss out by not cashing in.
Yeah, like when we got lucky enough to trade prime Shaun Burgoyne for the picks that got us Andrew Moore and Jasper Pittard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back