Ross Lyon sacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

I removed the post.

Doesn't change the fact that Essendon fans and coeterie groups ONLY want ex-players as coaches, and want any coach from outside who comes in, to fail.

Like Sheeds you mean?

I’m not criticising Essendon though. It’s pretty much the best of both worlds. The fact Caracella played for the Dons and was good, appeals to the nuffies. The fact he has also experienced other environments and has been described as integral to their success makes him a good appointment.
sorry. wasnt making out you had. More backing the argument up :)

Having Cara and Truck around means we have 2 assistants touted to be good prospects for the Senior gig
Could add credence to Worsfold to Freo, but i reckon he does another year and we weigh things up at the end of the 2020.

It'd be insane to bring Lyon back to Saints.

New coaches bring their supporter base universal hope and goodwill: Lyon @ Saints? Nup

New coaches need time and patience from the supporter base to do what they need to do: Lyon @ Saints? Nup
His ex-players all seem to back him
Goddard, Riewoldt and Dal Santo have all said he's the man StKilda should get.
Whether they carry weight or not, surely a hard one to ignore given his record there.

We're right to do so. Knights was a horrific gameday coach and average as hell across.everything he touchd. Place went from stagnent and needing new life to a rabble.
You're missing the point which was the reaction to Hird compared to the rest. That said, Sheedy didn't play for Essendon either and he had heaps of time there.

His ex-players all seem to back him
Goddard, Riewoldt and Dal Santo have all said he's the man StKilda should get.
Whether they carry weight or not, surely a hard one to ignore given his record there.

Well, yeah, it's not my club so I really don't care ...

... I just reckon it'd be an insane move. Not sure that a return of the prodigal son works for senior coaches.

Lyon clearly rated effort over skill, even when they were doing well it was a ugly ugly rolling maul and fall back and flood.

didn't or couldn't change the plan

his game plan exhausted players and possibly led Freo to more injuries than usual

which saw Freo get big injury concerns mid season

glad for the game he is gone

On topic, I’m happy to be in the minority but I think Ross Lyon is a good coach in the right context. Freo couldn’t quite get there 13-15 and rebuilding has never really been his bag. I also think that he is the type that would wear thin after five or so years with a playing group.

Something was clearly going wrong behind the scenes at Freo that media insiders were constantly hinting at and Neale leaving was a bad look.

All things being equal though, he’d be a good coach to apply some finishing touches to a solid team that has underperformed.

Lyon clearly rated effort over skill, even when they were doing well it was a ugly ugly rolling maul and fall back and flood.

didn't or couldn't change the plan

his game plan exhausted players and possibly led Freo to more injuries than usual

which saw Freo get big injury concerns mid season

glad for the game he is gone
He's a very good chance to be coaching your club next season imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthew Knights, never played for Essendon, undermined from day 1 by ex-Essendon players (lloyd, Watson) and coetrie groups and sponsors.

Sponsors even threatened to pull out if Knights continued as coach (so now sponsors decide hiring and firing. Step off).

James Hird- causes the most devastating scandal in AFL history, yet fans and sponsors stick by him, despite Knights or Worsfold not ruining the club as much as Hird did.

If a non-"favourite son" had done that, he would have been sacked immediately, not deified like James Hird.

John Worsfold, who also never played for Essendon, and had to clean up the s**t Hird had left the club in, was undermined from day one.

Interesting that Matthew Lloyd has actively petitioned to get both Knights and Worsfold sacked, but said nothing about what his mate, James Hird did.
Do you think it was Knights the poster was referring to as Essendon's most successful coach that didn't play for them?

Damon, dont disagree with most of your thesis but do disagree with Blakely being our best user.

Mundy is comfortably our best user.

Fair enough, and they've had to waste Mundy deep forward at times, too.

Blakeley is one of the better ball users at the club, and he's missed 8 games this year, which along with missing Stephen Hill for most of the year, and again getting nothing from Harley Bennell, hurts a lot.

A small part of me hopes he gets another crack.

Love him or hate him, he's taken teams to 4 Grand Finals and not won a single flag which does not reflect his coaching ability at all.

No one had a more distinct tactical style than Ross in his time in the AFL and he deserves the utmost respect for that. Took some moderate lists to the zenith and couldn't quite pull it off. Kudos Ross.
Did he? The alternative narrative from some of my saints supporting friends is their list was top notch and that Lyon had every chance to get them the silverware. His reputation will depend on which way you see it. Can't say he ever troubled anyone with his teams playing attractive football.

Lucks a fortune though. Perhaps all he lacked was that bit of luck.

Wasn't he the guy who rejected Andrew McLeod? Also the Bears got sweet FA to build their list.
Actually forgot about the old bears. Fair enough

Yeah Neesham didn't pick up McLeod. However it wasn't a case if just a straight swap. Few more complications as McLeod didn't really want to play out of WA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon sacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back