Prediction Round 1: Changes Vs Adelaide Crows + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

In: Fyfe

Out: Hughes, Meek, Wilson (Inj), Banfield, Crowden

Crowden or Aish Medi-sub

Wow this is really hard to do when we have such a fit list, this attempt is me trying to go with what the coaches will.

Then a slightly more risky version of coaches

In: Fyfe, Aish, Treacy

Out: Hughes, Meek, Wilson (Inj), Banfield, Crowden, Henry, Brodie

(Brodie did nothing wrong but if we are bringing Fyfe in then he is most likely, I got rid of Banfield in the first scenario over Brodie due to performance but with Treacy back I can't see us dropping Colyer and Acres has earnt the opposite wing to Aish over Henry in this scenario)

Brodie would be medi-sub

Tucker being fit throws another spanner in the works for one of those wing roles, the Tucker backline experiment should be dead now though
(Wilson being fit also screws these scenarios)

Well..... I went to the freo vs crows game last season.

Freo won 12.12.84 to crows 11.6.72. a bit of a respectable scoreline. Freo were leading 83-60 late in the game. Could if kicked 14-16 goals that day.

Lobb had a few scoring shots in that game, kicked 1 goal and 3 behinds. He should of kicked 3 or 4.

Frederick got 12 disposals and kicked 1 goal and 2 points. He missed narrowly too and should nof kicked 3 goals.

Tabs won the game off his own boot kicking 4 goals.

We are sort of got the similar forward line that got us the win last season.

What about The forgotten men of the freo shockers:
In my opinion:
Aish is better than Acres
Sturt is better than Colyer
Treacy is better than banfield
Tucker is better than Henry
Hamling is better than Cox.
Walker is better than Wilson.

What about The forgotten men of the freo shockers:
In my opinion:
Interesting opinions with some quite different players there being compared.

Hamling v Cox is a hard one to judge as of today, there's question marks around what level Hamling will be after such a long time out.
Walker v Wilson is all about potential v AFL experienced and ready, they are similar types of players however I wouldn't give that one to Walker just yet.

In my opinion:
- too close to call, but Aish has versatility on his side.
- Sturt needs to establish fitness first.
- for sure. And I would select Erasmus ahead of Banfield too.
- at this stage I don't trust Tucker's hamstrings.
- line ball. Keep Cox for now.
- the problem is that we have too many defenders and already need to drop a couple. I'm looking forward to the emerging players forcing their own selection.
Good discussion points. Surprised you avoided Lobb/Meek.

Yesterday showed how much we need Treacy IMO. We need someone who kicks straight and puts on forward pressure. If some people are happy to rush back Aish, I think there's a much stronger case for Treacy.

Lobb should get first crack at the forward/ruck spot but he's on thin ice. Yesterday also showed how much we can't afford to carry passengers. Henry has to work his way into the team from Peel with consistent form. I was hesitant on having Brodie in the same team as Fyfe and Mundy but yesterday's centre clearance dominance to West Coast was a reminder that we can be severely undersized in the middle. I'd stick with all three but rotating between half forward. My best 22 as follows:

B: Ryan, Cox, Logue
HB: Young, Pearce, Clark
C: Mundy, Fyfe, Acres
HF: Frederick, Taberner, Walters
F: Switkowski, Lobb, Schultz
R/Fol: Darcy, Serong, Brayshaw
I: Treacy, Brodie, Colyer, Chapman

Aish, Hamling, Meek, Henry, Tucker, Walker, Sturt, Erasmus, NOD, Blakely waiting in the wings
This is literally the only b22 we should be using against Adelaide. Good work heypenny.

Well..... I went to the freo vs crows game last season.

Freo won 12.12.84 to crows 11.6.72. a bit of a respectable scoreline. Freo were leading 83-60 late in the game. Could if kicked 14-16 goals that day.

Lobb had a few scoring shots in that game, kicked 1 goal and 3 behinds. He should of kicked 3 or 4.

Frederick got 12 disposals and kicked 1 goal and 2 points. He missed narrowly too and should nof kicked 3 goals.

Tabs won the game off his own boot kicking 4 goals.

We are sort of got the similar forward line that got us the win last season.
They're also missing a few good players I think Walker, Seedsman, Laird.

With pretty much a full strength and healthy squad to select from round 1 this is a must win game if we have what it takes to make finals this year.If not it’s going to be the same Old again lol. Pressure right on 😤🙏

With pretty much a full strength and healthy squad to select from round 1 this is a must win game if we have what it takes to make finals this year.If not it’s going to be the same Old again lol. Pressure right on 😤🙏
I watched an interview of Ross Lyon back in the day and his philosophy when playing against Geelong. His philosophy here is still more relevant than ever:

"To compete with the champs you got to stand up and be fierce yourself"

This was referring to their tackling pressure, being fierce in the contest and a general bit of roughing up the opposition. I would like to see more in this department from Freo.

A few points about Henry,
I think most were pretty happy with what he did last week, particularly his ball use inside 50.
We are certainly putting a lot of emphasis on good ball use & I think JLo would most likely think Henry has the potential to add to that.
If the coaches think he has potential to be a very good wingman for us, then they need to back him in for a block of games & not yo-yo him in & out as that will destroy his confidence.
This would be fine if we were a bottom 4 side with no expectation to play finals.
But it’s round 1 and we are being talked up as contenders for that 6-8th position on the ladder. The four points in Adelaide are crucial and Jlo will pick the best side possible to win the game here and now (as he should).
If Henry needs more development time (I think he does too) well then he can get it down at peel. With a fully fit squad there should be no passengers at AFL level this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched an interview of Ross Lyon back in the day and his philosophy when playing against Geelong. His philosophy here is still more relevant than ever:

"To compete with the champs you got to stand up and be fierce yourself"

This was referring to their tackling pressure, being fierce in the contest and a general bit of roughing up the opposition. I would like to see more in this department from Freo.
Agreed, I still see no evidence of any tough players who would give it back if a team mate is being scragged or flattened. Been a weakness for Freo for years, been great to get rid of the DH‘s but our team continues to be easy prey for snipers. We are too nice!!

Agreed, I still see no evidence of any tough players who would give it back if a team mate is being scragged or flattened. Been a weakness for Freo for years, been great to get rid of the DH‘s but our team continues to be easy prey for snipers. We are too nice!!

All of our players retaliate when they see something done to one of their team mates. I see it all the time. I really don't know what you want to see, half the team suspended? They really can't win with supporters sometimes.

Make or break game coming early?

In reality we need some away wins to play finals and this is an opportunity we cannot miss. The psychology of a win will also be massive for our young side, and vice versa.

Need to let Cyclone off the hooks a bit.

Didn't you see Acres absolutely monster Chesser potentially putting the young guys career in jeopardy? (yes I have visited the WC Board)

They're also missing a few good players I think Walker, Seedsman, Laird.
Yeah true.

Did walker and Laird play against us last season?

Walker and Laird not playing in round 1 increases freos chances a fair bit.

Laird out injured means one decent defender/midfielder out. He was their club champion last season too.

Walker out means tilthorpe will be double teamed.

If both fit, i want both Lobb and tabs to play. Both are contested markers and both will cause problems to the crows backline

Yeah true.

Laird out injured means one decent defender/midfielder out. He was their club champion last season too.

If both fit, i want both Lobb and tabs to play. Both are contested markers and both will cause problems to the crows backline
Yeah all three played.

Yeah all three played.
If Taylor Walker played against us last season, that means Griffin Logue would of man marked him.

Logue did an ok job last season. Even though walker kicked 2 goals and 3 behinds.

Logue shut him down in 2020 but walker was woeful and constantly out of form in 2020

Yeah true.

Its a bit of a mixed bag of ins and outs based on last year because even though Seedsman and Laird were in their top 3 possession winners, Sloane and Crouch weren't there and will likely lead their midfield this time around. Kelly another player from their defence who has moved on with free agency.

One interesting thing for us in the midfield is that Cerra was subbed off early in the 1st quarter with injury. Our key defenders all available.

Rd1 2020 we started very slowly against Essendon (hardly laid a tackle early IIRC) before coming at them hard in the last Q. Fell just short but really should have won that game in we played 4 quarters,

Rd1 2021 against Melbourne we looked terrible early. Skills were poor and we just looked unorganised.

For mine, a sign of growth will be for us to come out hard in round 1 and really put our best foot forward. Coaches and players have had 5 months to get ready for this game: lets start the season strong.

Rd1 2020 we started very slowly against Essendon (hardly laid a tackle early IIRC) before coming at them hard in the last Q. Fell just short but really should have won that game in we played 4 quarters,

Rd1 2021 against Melbourne we looked terrible early. Skills were poor and we just looked unorganised.

For mine, a sign of growth will be for us to come out hard in round 1 and really put our best foot forward. Coaches and players have had 5 months to get ready for this game: lets start the season strong.
My memories of round 1 last year differs from yours. We dominated the early contests and could have been 3-4 goals ahead except for butchering chances.
I agree with your Essendon summary

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 1: Changes Vs Adelaide Crows + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back