News Round 1 - Collingwood vs North - Selected Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't be surprised if he's in the side to play a role on one of their mids..
This is what I was thinking, there's a few games where Clarke has a matchup in the middle on "slower" mids, and this is one. Ziebell seems like the perfect matchup for Clarke, although at times that would mean that Marty is in the centre four setup, which I don't want at all.

I like Marty Clarke. Smart selection because he has great endurance which is a big factor round 1. You can see across the board barely a player is able to run out the game, which is something Marty has a slight advantage in his make up.

I was stoked when I heard that Sammy Dwyer was in for his first game, really good effort and kudos to the Pies for giving him a shot at it.

We went through the same type of thing with Sam Gibson last year, and he ended up being a very important part of our 22.

Also, all the best to Brent Macaffer on his return from the serious knee injury!

Good luck guys!

Hmmm I'm a little concerned about our lack of outside pace. No Thomas, Young, Didak, Seedsman, and even Fasolo (plus Wellingham). The side looks a little one paced. If Seedsman is good to go I'm really shocked that he isn't starting; he is clearly best 22 in my books even with a fully fit list.

Well done to Dwyer, he has certainly earned a spot after a strong pre-season.

Hey all,

A bit belated but thought I'd get the selected teams up for everyone.

We've decided to go with a separate thread this year for team selections.

It will work much better if someone from the board gets it up ASAP after the teams are announced.

As you can probably tell the mods often won't get it up quick enough. This was as soon as I could do it for example.

Anyway here they are:

Collingwood
B: Nathan Brown, Nick Maxwell, Ben Reid
HB: Alan Toovey, Heath Shaw, Harry O'Brien
C: Steele Sidebottom, Dane Swan, Jarryd Blair
HF: Jamie Elliott, Travis Cloke, Quinten Lynch
F: Ben Sinclair, Tyson Goldsack, Brent Macaffer
Foll: Darren Jolly, Scott Pendlebury, Dayne Beams
Int: Marty Clarke, Sam Dwyer, Ben Johnson, Jordan Russell
Emg: Jack Frost, Paul Seedsman, Josh Thomas

NEW: Sam Dwyer (Port Melbourne), Quinten Lynch (West Coast), Jordan Russell (Carlton)

North Melbourne
B: Shaun Atley, Scott Thompson, Michael Firrito
HB: Jamie Macmillan, Nathan Grima, Ben Jacobs
C: Aaron Mullett, Ryan Bastinac, Kieran Harper
HF: Ben Cunnington, Robbie Tarrant, Daniel Wells
F: Lindsay Thomas, Drew Petrie, Lachlan Hansen
Foll: Todd Goldstein, Andrew Swallow, Jack Ziebell
Int: Liam Anthony, Leigh Adams, Sam Wright, Sam Gibson
Emg: Taylor Hine, Will Sierakowski, Majak Daw

NEW: Ben Jacobs (Port Adelaide)

This is the first chance I've had to see the selected team.

Seems Reid didn't make it up? Surely Frost comes in as a late change.

Disappointed to see Sinclair in, I think we have better options. Clarke is an interesting selection.

Surely rumours of Seedsman injuring himself are false if he's named on an extended bench.. From that I reckon Frost could make way seeing as we have Reid in, Clarke and Johnson out because I don't really think you can have all of Harry O, Shaw, Seedsman, Russell, Johnson and Clarke in the same team. Neither showed a whole lot in the nab. Or Clarke and Dwyer/Thomas, although I'd love to see both Thomas and Dwyer debut.

An astute, and unambiguous, observation...

Why would he do that?

I am very surprised to see Dwyer in the team. I would have palyed Seedsman ahead of Dwyer and made Clarke the sub.

The most intresting part of selection for me is Frost named as an emergency. Can someone please tell me if Reid has been seen on the training track, because I dont this we will be playing Reid, Brown and Frost in the same side when we also have Toovey, Maxwell and Glodsack (if needed) who could play as talls.

Basically we give up too much run by playing all 3 talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey all,

A bit belated but thought I'd get the selected teams up for everyone.

We've decided to go with a separate thread this year for team selections.

It will work much better if someone from the board gets it up ASAP after the teams are announced.

As you can probably tell the mods often won't get it up quick enough. This was as soon as I could do it for example.

Anyway here they are:

Collingwood
B: Nathan Brown, Nick Maxwell, Ben Reid
HB: Alan Toovey, Heath Shaw, Harry O'Brien
C: Steele Sidebottom, Dane Swan, Jarryd Blair
HF: Jamie Elliott, Travis Cloke, Quinten Lynch
F: Ben Sinclair, Tyson Goldsack, Brent Macaffer
Foll: Darren Jolly, Scott Pendlebury, Dayne Beams
Int: Marty Clarke, Sam Dwyer, Ben Johnson, Jordan Russell
Emg: Jack Frost, Paul Seedsman, Josh Thomas

NEW: Sam Dwyer (Port Melbourne), Quinten Lynch (West Coast), Jordan Russell (Carlton)

North Melbourne
B: Shaun Atley, Scott Thompson, Michael Firrito
HB: Jamie Macmillan, Nathan Grima, Ben Jacobs
C: Aaron Mullett, Ryan Bastinac, Kieran Harper
HF: Ben Cunnington, Robbie Tarrant, Daniel Wells
F: Lindsay Thomas, Drew Petrie, Lachlan Hansen
Foll: Todd Goldstein, Andrew Swallow, Jack Ziebell
Int: Liam Anthony, Leigh Adams, Sam Wright, Sam Gibson
Emg: Taylor Hine, Will Sierakowski, Majak Daw

NEW: Ben Jacobs (Port Adelaide)

Can this be post #1?

Excited to see Dwyer at afl level.

Frost being overlooked is a little perplexing, but I guess if we get too light on for talls in defence we can always send Goldsack back to plug a hole (though Frost would have been preferred).

Match fitness does become a slight issue with Frost now though. IMO he is the ideal match up for Hampson next week because great defenders they may be neither Brown nor Reid has a leap on them that will trouble Hampson in the air whereas Frost seems to be more capable in that area.

Frost's last match was against Geelong 2 weeks ago so if he's picked against the Blues it'll be 3 weeks since his last match and IMO that's pretty poor man management at this time of the season. On a side note don't expect Seedsman to line up against the Blues next week he struggles to run out games ATM and hasn't kicked a ball in anger since the Brisbane match which will be 4 weeks next Sunday....

Well one thing we can be certain of is that we won't be run off the field with Johnson, Russell and Clarke all on the bench. It does look slightly unbalanced but if Seedsman is injured its about as good as we could possibly field.

We should see a good deal of Blair and Sidey in the middle with no real mids on the bench

I think the selectors have got it pretty right. I like Clarke in the team. Thought his NAB cup was much better than people give him credit for. Hoping that the year back in the system will help him and he can have a big year. He adds to that depth we have

Dwyer's 1st NAB cup game was a bit underwhelming but since then he has improved steadily. Hope he can do a "Barlow" so to speak and be a guy who steps up to AFL level without any fuss. Big game this week. We need the win. Want to face Carlton next week with four points so we can put them 8 points behind us after 2 rounds

GO PIES

Remove this Banner Ad

News Round 1 - Collingwood vs North - Selected Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back