Toast Round 1 = Geelong 103-125 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The poster you responded to wasn't getting ahead of himself.

It was a great win that ought to be celebrated. No team plays a perfect game or executes flawlessly 100% of the time.

In the see-sawing contest of last night Collingwood prevailed in a magnificent manner. That is what is worth acknowledging and celebrating.

Ponsford said that those who wrote us off on account of last year's narrow victories were wrong. Based on what we saw last night, it's had to argue with that.
How would you feel if the game ended at three quarter time and we had lost? How would the game have turned out if they had 3 fit players on the bench rather than 1.

We were messy and inefficient for the first three quarters. Gave away the easiest goals way too often. The boys stuck at it, never gave up and I feel we were pulled over the line due to Geelong fatigue and some individual brilliance. Our structure and execution was off. But like I said somewhat normal for round 1, and we celebrate the win.

The club will be looking at it more from the perspective of what they need to improve is what I was getting at.

… and because their scoreboard flattered them due to unbelievable accuraccy for goal.

Confidence can do a lot for performance, and easy to be confident running onto the ground round 1 with the gold AFL logo on the guernsey.

How would you feel if the game ended at three quarter time and we had lost? How would the game have turned out if they had 3 fit players on the bench rather than 1.

We were messy and inefficient for the first three quarters. Gave away the easiest goals way too often. The boys stuck at it, never gave up and I feel we were pulled over the line due to Geelong fatigue and some individual brilliance. Our structure and execution was off. But like I said somewhat normal for round 1, and we celebrate the win.

The club will be looking at it more from the perspective of what they need to improve is what I was getting at.

On the flip side, How would you feel if their kicking for goal was normal instead of freakishly accurate? Turn that 16-3 into something more normal like 11-8 and we are well in charge at 3/4 time. We actually had more scoring shots every quarter, and ourselves were quite accurate.

Freakish accuraccy is something you can’t plan for or develop coaching strategies for. Sure at times our backline leaked and som tweaks are needed to prevent run ons, but that’s partly a by product of our game plan

Last edited:

We're playing a style that will improve as we get cleaner and our defenders get the risk/reward balance better in the second half of the year. I thought even when we went down by 3 or 4 goals a few times that we were looking surprisingly sharp with the ball for round 1. It was exciting.

I decided to watch the game again.

Geelong goals

first goal - Noble with a silly kick across the defensive 50.

Second goal - they kick a goal after we kick a behind. Our defensive structure broke down. Moore’s spoil straight into Tuohys arms didn’t help either.

Fourth goal - forward 50 stoppage breakdown. The ball ended up there after a very silly WHE attempted hanball to Elliot.

Fifth goal - forward 50 stoppage breakdown. Again.

Sixth goal - Center clearance. Hawkins left all by himself to lead and take a mark. Naicos was his closest player.

We can definitely improve defensively, which makes things very exciting!!

Great post. We gifted Cats so many golden opportunities, especially in first half. It was very frustrating.

What I was very impressed in 2022 is that you could see them learn from mistakes as the season went on. At first, it was probably tweaks to the gameplan -after first 3-4 weeks. Then they tweaked it week to week and tightened up blatant weak areas.

What impressed me about last night, was we improved quarter by quarter. The coaches and playing group make the changes/improvements during games now. Obviously this also happened in the back end of 2022 to. But it’s fantastic to see the players know the system so much better than 12 months ago.

All the things I saw in first half (conceding easy goals, poor stoppage accountability etc) and even in the 3rd by wasting opportunity - they continued to fix and improve until they put their foot on the throat from red time in the 3rd to the final siren.

From red time in 1st it was 36 to 15. So from that moment on we beat the cats by 110 to 67. Pies kicked 17.8 to 10.7. It’s basically the opposite of 2018 GF.

We owned the cats in red time in every quarter. That’s not by accident. And it’s certainly reminiscent of eagles best work to win the cup in 2018 by kicking 11.11 to 6.7 from red time in Q1.

This is exactly what elite coaching looks like. And I’m all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hi all,

Come in peace. Blistering by you lot last night. Daicos out of the back line with those ridiculous targets he was hitting is what set it up in my opinion. That and RUNNING.

Question, it's on the tip of my tongue, but who is your runner? Annoys me how much they show the coaches on the footage these days and now it's worse because I know the face but I can't think of his name!

All the best for the season.

WHE was terrible almost all night. How you can call his first half magnificent is beyond me, felt like every time he touched the ball he messed up, and I’ve been a defender of his for the past couple of years.

The positive I took from WHE last night was he seemed to get more of the ball which is encouraging. They also seem to be swinging around as a utility from fwd to defence too which I think is a good thing.

His disposal efficiency was 50%, the worst for any of our players last night. He’s usually a much better decision maker and user of the ball than this, but his disposal cost us. Hopefully he improves next week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And to think this forum was pessimistic about getting Bobby Hill….he’s a jet.
Exactly what I thought we were getting was on show last night

As for Reef…he’s coming of age in that he knows he belongs at the level
He looks physically stronger
Was brilliant in his cameo…should have kicked 3 too.
He will play a lot of games this season

It was a very exciting match to watch.Of course we can improve defensively,but I think that will come throughout the course of the year as it did last season.

To my mind,we actually dominated the second half,not just the last quarter.Geelong only dominated for about one five minute period in that quarter when they kicked three goals,all from free kicks and 50 metre penalties.Their only other goal came from a free kick as well when Maynard hacked the ball off the ground from one side of the ground to the other..A really harsh call from the umpire.

I think Geelong’s insane accuracy and the timely intervention of the umpires disguised the fact that we were the better side for most of the night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pendles still has it. Could easily play a few more years.
My favourite player from another club. I've always wished he was a Hawk, you guys are so lucky to have him.

Pretty big ifs to ponder on but the game didn't finish at 3 quarter time .

Yes, the coaching team will analyse the performance more critically but the great thing building about this team is that they take risks.

The prerequisite of that is not being afraid to make a mistake and to play instinctively i.e. the opposite of what we did when Buckley coached.

Yep errors were made by both sides (did you watch Tigers vs Blues?) but this is the best round 1 footy I've seen us play for who knows how long.

Wowee.

The scoreboard absolutely flattered the Cats. We were gaining the ascendency in the 3rd term before the umpires stepped in to take away all the momentum we had. Credit to the boys to fight back and then smoke them in the last quarter.

This is a truly special side, please for the love of God stay relatively fit, we're a huge show this year. Our running power is unreal.

Oh, Nick Daicos goes ok.

Pretty big ifs to ponder on but the game didn't finish at 3 quarter time .

Yes, the coaching team will analyse the performance more critically but the great thing building about this team is that they take risks.

The prerequisite of that is not being afraid to make a mistake and to play instinctively i.e. the opposite of what we did when Buckley coached.

Yep errors were made by both sides (did you watch Tigers vs Blues?) but this is the best round 1 footy I've seen us play for who knows how long.
If we can keep going right the through middle of other teams structures, we are going to be very hard to beat. Hopefully sides won't be able to nullify it as the season goes on but it's going to be hard for sides to change their structures if we are going right through the middle with that switch kick. If they do flood the middle it only opens them up around the flanks, great game plan

David King was happy as a pig in s**t on all those Fox Footy shows at the end of 2020 reveling in our salary cap woes. He's rarely ever had anything positive to say about the Pies at any other time either.

He can f**k right off.

In fairness to the campaigner, he's one 'expert' that has been pumping us up the past few weeks.

Judy finished watching the game and I noticed our forward structure changed once Howe went down.

We played Reef alongside McStay & Mihocek with Cox/Cameron rotating through.

Reef is good on the ground so when Cats defence didn’t mark he was agile on his feet.

I think we keep the 3 playing together.

I come in peace - just wanted to say wow. Must admit I thought you guys might have overachieved slightly last year, but nope, that was a formidable display. Pace, power, skill and all at high levels of intensity. Geez you're a fun team to watch.

I hope we've developed and can run with you this year, looking forward to seeing how we stack up whem we meet.

PS - hope Howe is on the mend soon.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This term in general is the biggest load of horseshit of all time. You achieve what you put in and deserve, you cannot overachieve.

This term in general is the biggest load of horseshit of all time. You achieve what you put in and deserve, you cannot overachieve.

It’s just a word.

Take out some of the close wins from last year and it’s not hard to see where uneducated outsiders are coming from. But what they have got wrong, it that instead of turning the close wins into losses, we can turn the close wins into comfortable wins.

I don’t think the snark was necessary.

Judy finished watching the game and I noticed our forward structure changed once Howe went down.

We played Reef alongside McStay & Mihocek with Cox/Cameron rotating through.

Reef is good on the ground so when Cats defence didn’t mark he was agile on his feet.

I think we keep the 3 playing together.
It’s him, not Hill that would be scaring the shit out of Ginnivan IMO.

If you're going to make a big deal about inboard kicks that turnover, you're in for a long year with the way we play - hopefully the goals we kick from doing it helps to ease your pain.

WHE has weaknesses, but his disposal is fine, regardless of a couple of turnovers last night
I'm loving the high risk, high reward run hard high pressure game. My view is that WHE is subtractive rather than additive to our team when we play that way.

Adequate (in my view poor given a lack of a strong or accurate kick) disposal isn't good enough, especially when he has plenty of other weaknesses.

He doesn't get a lot of the ball, turns it over more than others, doesn't break lines, doesn't stick tackles to maintain pressure, doesn't win 1:1s, doesn't take contested marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back