Unofficial Preview Round 1, Pies V Lions, Sat evening @6:20pm Qld / 7:20pm Vic (Thread closed, see Game Day thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do people think there is going to be a late change tomorrow? I'm as far from an expert as you can get but I think Gault's size or Kennedy's tenacity will be very useful if its going to be a wet weather slog.

Also, does anyone know which of the emergencies remained behind in Melbourne?
According to a poster on this board Karnezis was the only one who trained today

Sure the lions touched us up last year, but in reality they did not have a great year either, the new additions should improve them but there are still quite a few holes in that side.
I am happy this game will more than likely be a war of attrition due to the conditions, it brings us right into the thick of it just like every time we go to Sydney and usually get the chocolates in greasy wet conditions.

For me they have picked the right side for the conditions, Ox and Ramsay over Broomhead and Kennedy is the right call in a tight ugly scrap, less spectacular but won't flinch and will just bang in all day long.

Very Very confident of a win first up, i reckon we are being sold very short by most people first up and ill take the $2.65 on offer for us thanks.

So Karnezis is in Brisbane?

And BenKen and Gault aren't maybe, if they weren't at training?

All three named for the VFL practice match I think.

So Karny could be the in?

So Karnezis is in Brisbane?

And BenKen and Gault aren't maybe, if they weren't at training?

All three named for the VFL practice match I think.

So Karny could be the in?
Still need to have someone there. Never know what happens overnight. Someone could wake up bed ridden And completely unfit to play. Need to have someone there as precaution

I guess he's the most flexible type of the three to come in as a late replacement.

I just don't think the named 22 looks quite right and my first reaction was 'there will be late changes'.

I didn't even realise till someone said it that Balme is into a little smoke and mirrors behind the curtains when it comes to naming the side.

Makes me think it even moreso.

It would be cool if it turns out that the other two are in Brisbane too, hidden in hotel rooms and they are the two who come in ;)

I guess he's the most flexible type of the three to come in as a late replacement.

I just don't think the named 22 looks quite right and my first reaction was 'there will be late changes'.

I didn't even realise till someone said it that Balme is into a little smoke and mirrors behind the curtains when it comes to naming the side.

Makes me think it even moreso.

It would be cool if it turns out that the other two are in Brisbane too, hidden in hotel rooms and they are the two who come in ;)
Someone did get the mail that Karnezis was playing.

Hi guys just a weather update, according to the BOM (http://www.bom.gov.au/places/qld/brisbane/forecast/detailed/), its now only a 20% chance of raining during tomorrows game which has come down from 80% only a few days ago. So it's unlikely to be the wet weather game that everyone on both boards are predicting, although the usual dewy Gabba conditions will still play its part. Good luck for tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know about "pressure for spots" and that concept's valid but in these cases....the young boys have so much more TALENT and speed that its not really a pressure element. Its time for them to get played so that they can form the basis of the next wave.

They may have more talent but at this stage they are not using that talent to full extent. If these players are that good and that ready they would have ripped apart the NAB challenge. They didn't. It is their fault that they didn't get picked. Promise is not enough. Performance is what counts.

I would love to see BK, PK and Broomy all getting games, but they should have put stronger cases forward during the preseason. Broomy in particular has been extremely underwhelming.

People are saying that the Lions midfield is equal to our midfield of 2010 and 2011?Seriously?Where's their equivalent of Swan,Pendlebury,Ball and Thomas?(at his peak)They might have a deep midfield but it's mostly made up of B graders.Beams is probably their only A grader,and he just barely qualifies for that.

Kidding right?

Rockliff-Swan
Beams-Pendlebury
Hanley-Thomas
Redden-Ball
Aish-Sidebottom
Christensen-Wellingham
Rich-Didak
Zorko-?
Mayes-Blair
C. Beams-?

Their mids are bigtime and they bat real deep! Yeah they're average in a fair few other areas, but trashing their midfield is ignorant, IMO.

Edit: I think it might be just an out of sight out of mind thing so it's no big deal.

They may have more talent but at this stage they are not using that talent to full extent. If these players are that good and that ready they would have ripped apart the NAB challenge. They didn't. It is their fault that they didn't get picked. Promise is not enough. Performance is what counts.

I would love to see BK, PK and Broomy all getting games, but they should have put stronger cases forward during the preseason. Broomy in particular has been extremely underwhelming.

So....let me get this straight...a kid (or kids) who can kick both feet, run quickly, kick goals and has plenty of scope for improvement has to do all that in the NAB. Geez a young Swanny or Didak must have set the world on fire in their praccy matches.
In all seriousness, we get kids as talented as Broomhead once every 5-10 years mate. If you wanna waste that vision and skill in the seconds far be it from me to stop you. But from where I sit, (and I've seen a few "good ones" over the years) he's already more dangerous and productive with 10-15 touches a game than honest triers like Goldy and Blairo.

So....let me get this straight...a kid (or kids) who can kick both feet, run quickly, kick goals and has plenty of scope for improvement has to do all that in the NAB. Geez a young Swanny or Didak must have set the world on fire in their praccy matches.
In all seriousness, we get kids as talented as Broomhead once every 5-10 years mate. If you wanna waste that vision and skill in the seconds far be it from me to stop you. But from where I sit, (and I've seen a few "good ones" over the years) he's already more dangerous and productive with 10-15 touches a game than honest triers like Goldy and Blairo.

Look I am a fan of Broomhead but his form over the pre season has been poor. Doesn't deserve a game at the moment regardless of his potential. I am as disappointed as the next guy he is not there, but I hold him responsible, not the match committee.

Kidding right?

Rockliff-Swan
Beams-Pendlebury
Hanley-Thomas
Redden-Ball
Aish-Sidebottom
Christensen-Wellingham
Rich-Didak
Zorko-?
Mayes-Blair
C. Beams-?

Their mids are bigtime and they bat real deep! Yeah they're average in a fair few other areas, but trashing their midfield is ignorant, IMO.

Edit: I think it might be just an out of sight out of mind thing so it's no big deal.
beams might fit in there somewhere. I mean, he was playing for us in 2010 haha

Kidding right?

Rockliff-Swan
Beams-Pendlebury
Hanley-Thomas
Redden-Ball
Aish-Sidebottom
Christensen-Wellingham
Rich-Didak
Zorko-?
Mayes-Blair
C. Beams-?

I doubt anyone would disagree that their midfield is excellent. It is in the top handful in the league.

Add Ben Johnson and Dayne Beams to our 2010-11 list for the two question marks. I think that Collingwood wins every one of those comparisons except for Mayes vs. Blair, and Christensen vs. Wellingham is probably about even. How quickly people seem to forget just how good a peak Swan, Thomas, Ball, Didak were.

I doubt anyone would disagree that their midfield is excellent. It is in the top handful in the league.

Add Ben Johnson and Dayne Beams to our 2010-11 list for the two question marks. I think that Collingwood wins every one of those comparisons except for Mayes vs. Blair, and Christensen vs. Wellingham is probably about even. How quickly people seem to forget just how good a peak Swan, Thomas, Ball, Didak were.
Christensen and wellingham equal? Are you serious.

Anywho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back