B: Brown - Butts - Doedee
HB: Smith - Murray - McPherson
C: Hamill - Crouch - Sholl
HF: Lynch - Himmelberg - Sloane
F: Rowe - Walker - McAdam
R: O’Brien - Berry - Laird
Int: Jones, Keays, McHenry, Gollant

Emg: Borlase, Frampton, Berry, Worrell

Not confident about lots of these players but this is the best I can do.

Think it is very unlikely that we will play 4 untried players plus 4 with less than 5 games plus another couple with less than 20.

Fogarty has to be out of the AFL and put in the SANFL side. He needs some success, or responsibility, or humiliation, or whatever.

Schoenberg and Hately have been too poor to be included and need to be told so.

Have no reason other than just hope, in putting Jones in the side. If he plays he must stay in the forward 50. Might swap with Berry but unlikely given my second point.

Finding it sad to consider that I would have put Mackay on the wing if he had been fit. We will be slaughtered across the middle with this line!

FF: Rowe, Walker, McAdam
HF: McHenry, Himmelberg, Sloane
C: Sholl, Crouch, Lynch
HB: Smith, Murray, McPherson
FB: Doedee, Butts, Brown

1st R: O'Brien, Laird, Keays
Int: 4 of Berry, Hately, Jones, Worrell, Schoenberg

Em: Pedlar, Fogarty, McAsey, Thilthorpe

That's about the best I can come up with. We need to decide who needs a month in the SANFL, and who needs time in the AFL to find their feet.

FF: Rowe, Walker, McAdam
HF: McHenry, Himmelberg, Sloane
C: Sholl, Crouch, Lynch
HB: Smith, Murray, McPherson
FB: Doedee, Butts, Brown

1st R: O'Brien, Laird, Keays
Int: 4 of Berry, Hately, Jones, Worrell, Schoenberg

Em: Pedlar, Fogarty, McAsey, Thilthorpe

That's about the best I can come up with. We need to decide who needs a month in the SANFL, and who needs time in the AFL to find their feet.
No Hamill ????

Updates after the trade and draft period:
- Stengle > Rowe. Stengle starting out suspended, I don't rate him as highly as others and think there is a good chance Rowe will be better
- McHenry > Hately. I saw in an AFC update McHenry training with the injured group so I assume he isn't physically right to go at AFL level at this point.
- Hartigan > McAsey, and whichever unplayed kid has the best pre-season in, hopefully Worrell

Pending updates:
- Fogarty to have misunderstood the message and spent all preseason in the gym instead of running, Lynch to come in
- Gollant to lose an arm-wrestle challenge for round 1 selection, Tex to come in
- Milera to have his foot amputated, DMac to come in

FBLuke Brown (29)Daniel Talia (30) (Nick Murray)Andrew McPherson (22)
HBBrodie Smith (29)Jordon Butts (21)Tom Doedee (24) (Jake Kelly 26)
CPaul Seedsman (29)Matt Crouch (26)Lachlan Sholl (21)
HFLachlan Gollant (20)Darcy Fogarty (22)Shane McAdam (26)
FLachlan Murphy (22)Elliott Himmelberg (23)James Rowe (21)
RReilly O'Brien (26)Rory Laird (27)Rory Sloane (31)
IDavid Mackay (32)Will Hamill (20)Harry Schoenberg (20)Ned McHenry (21)
Update after the pre-season

Since McHenry is fit obviously he plays. Sadly I was correct about Milera. Unlike most here my expectations for Hately were low, but he has been even worse than I expected.

I would play Seedsman and Mackay. I think we already have quite a few young players. I think if the older gentleman is much better than the kid then we play the older gentleman. I expect that to be the case with Seedsman and Mackay.

I would not play Tex or Lynch. I think Himmelberg is better than Tex this year, and Fogarty is close enough to Lynch, that they get priority.

Our highly esteemed head coach thinks Frampton is worthy of more AFL games. Our coach is an idiot.

Unlike most I'm not in a desperate rush to get the latest kids into AFL level. I don't think it helped Jones or McAsey. Better to have them play their natural position at SANFL level than get humiliated at AFL level. Best case, 4 weeks into the SANFL season it will be clear Worrell Berry Pedlar Thilthorpe are all well above the level and then we can bring them into play their natural roles at AFL level. If that doesn't happen, bring them all in for 1-2 games regardless as long as they are having a crack.

While this is a young team, it isn't an uncompetitive early Gold Coast / GWS young team. If we go 0-13 with a percentage of 54 then obviously the coach has to be sacked. We have the sort of team which should be competitive most of the time, 6-16 with a percentage of 75-80.

I wonder how long until the assistants start posturing internally to try to be the one who gets the reins when Nicks is sacked. Might have started already.

Since McHenry is fit obviously he plays. Sadly I was correct about Milera. Unlike most here my expectations for Hately were low, but he has been even worse than I expected.

I would play Seedsman and Mackay. I think we already have quite a few young players. I think if the older gentleman is much better than the kid then we play the older gentleman. I expect that to be the case with Seedsman and Mackay.

I would not play Tex or Lynch. I think Himmelberg is better than Tex this year, and Fogarty is close enough to Lynch, that they get priority.

Our highly esteemed head coach thinks Frampton is worthy of more AFL games. Our coach is an idiot.

Unlike most I'm not in a desperate rush to get the latest kids into AFL level. I don't think it helped Jones or McAsey. Better to have them play their natural position at SANFL level than get humiliated at AFL level. Best case, 4 weeks into the SANFL season it will be clear Worrell Berry Pedlar Thilthorpe are all well above the level and then we can bring them into play their natural roles at AFL level. If that doesn't happen, bring them all in for 1-2 games regardless as long as they are having a crack.

While this is a young team, it isn't an uncompetitive early Gold Coast / GWS young team. If we go 0-13 with a percentage of 54 then obviously the coach has to be sacked. We have the sort of team which should be competitive most of the time, 6-16 with a percentage of 75-80.

I wonder how long until the assistants start posturing internally to try to be the one who gets the reins when Nicks is sacked. Might have started already.
I'm starting to think that's why Burns came here. May have smelt blood in the water with Nick's. If we go 0 and 22 this year Nick's will definitely be sacked. The AFL handing us the toughest draw of any team is pretty disgraceful and wouldn't have pleased Nick's at all.

Last edited:
What I think will happen:

B: Brown Butts Macpherson
HB: Doedee Murray Smith
C: Sholl M Crouch Keays
HF: McHenry Walker Lynch
FF: McAdam Himmelberg Rowe

1R: ROB Sloane Laird
INT: Seedsman Kelly Schoenberg Jones
EM: Mackay, Mackay, Mackay (let's not kid ourselves, he will be in given any opportunity)

What I think should happen:

B: Brown Butts Macpherson
HB: Doedee Murray Smith
C: Sholl M Crouch McHenry
HF: Lynch Himmelberg Sloane
FF: McAdam Walker Rowe

1R: ROB Keays Laird

INT: Schoenberg, Berry, Hamill, Worrell

WHY?
Keays in the middle to provide some actual effort. Sloane to play forward. He rotates between FP, HF and wing, that's it. No middle time.
McHenry on the wing to get himself involved. Be a pest.
Walker to FF. Hopefully to provide some goal kicking.
Lynch will definitely come back in. At least provides some options forward of centre. I don't like it, but I'm being reasonable.
Berry showed enough in his quarter and a half that he was comfortable at the level. Play him through the midfield rotations along with Schoenberg. Tell Berry to unleash at the contest. He will learn really quickly what being an AFL mid is all about against Geelong.
Worrell gets the last spot over Kelly. We know what Kelly offers (not much). Worrell can play as that extra defender. He can play on tallish players, on smaller players and on mobile types. He can also play wing and/or forward if needed. He will learn about intensity and focus really quickly.
Hamill to play wing rotation and half back.

WHY Not?
No McAsey. Leave him for now. Let him build confidence.
Jones. Hasn't done enough. Send him back to SANFL. Put him in the guts alongside Hately and Pedlar. Tell him his job is to win the ball first and foremost. No other considerations.
No Thilthorpe. We are going to get smashed. Thilthorpe at CHF won't help that. Instead I'd hold him back until we play North in round 3. Bring him in then and give him a chance to build some confidence. Will make a world of difference. Then play him for the next 5 games or so, before resting him again.
No Seedsman. Like Kelly - what's the point?

I'm starting to think that's why Burns came here. May have smelt blood in the water with Nick's. If we go 0 and 22 this year Nick's will definitely be sacked. The AFL handing us the toughest draw of any team is pretty disgraceful and wouldn't have pleased Nick's at all.
It's not an accident. The VFL are very unhappy with us.

My round 1 team:

What the club will do first:

Brown Butts Doedee
Smith Murray McPherson
Sloane Crouch Seedsman
Lynch Walker McAdam
Rowe Himmelberg Berry

ROB Laird Schoenberg

Mackay Kelly Fogarty Keays

What I would do:

Brown Butts Worrell
Smith Doedee Hamill
Sloane Crouch Sholl
McAdam Himmelberg Walker
Rowe Fogarty/Thilthorpe Berry

ROB Laird Schoenberg

Pedlar McPherson Keays
Murphy/McHenry

The differences are: Hamill, Worrell, Sholl, Thilthorpe?, Murphy/McHenry, Pedlar as opposed to Mackay, Kelly, Seedsman, Lynch, Fogarty?, Murray.

The result will be the same with both teams but my team will get games into players that will be at the club in 2 years.

Last edited:
B: Brown - Butts - Doedee
HB: Smith - Kelly - McPherson
C: Hamill - Crouch - Sholl
HF: Murphy - Himmelberg - Sloane
F: Rowe - Walker - McAdam
R: O’Brien - Schoenberg - Laird
Int: Jones, Keays, McHenry, McAsey

Emg: McAsey, Hately, Seedsman, Lynch

What will most likely happen:

AFL
B: Brown, Murray, Doedee
HB: McPherson, Butts, Smith
C: Sholl, Laird, Keays
HF: Lynch, Walker, Schoenberg
F: Rowe, Himmelberg, McAdam
R: ROB, Sloane, Crouch
I/C: Seedsman, Fogarty, Hinge, McHenry
Emergency: Mackay

SANFL:
B: Worrell, Borlase top up
HB: Hamill, McAsey, top up
C: Jones, O'Connor, Hately
HF: Wright, Frampton, Newchurch
F: Gollant, Thilthorpe, Murphy
R: Strachan, Pedlar, Berry

Unavailable: Stengle, Milera, Davis, Talia, Kelly, Cook

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Butts looks a likely type. Most people seem to be picking him at FUB but will he eventually push out to CHB when Talia returns?

Seems to move around quite well for a guy that's 198cm.

What will most likely happen:

AFL
B: Brown, Murray, Doedee
HB: McPherson, Butts, Smith
C: Sholl, Laird, Keays
HF: Lynch, Walker, Schoenberg
F: Rowe, Himmelberg, McAdam
R: ROB, Sloane, Crouch
I/C: Seedsman, Fogarty, Hinge, McHenry
Emergency: Mackay

SANFL:
B: Worrell, Borlase top up
HB: Hamill, McAsey, top up
C: Jones, O'Connor, Hately
HF: Wright, Frampton, Newchurch
F: Gollant, Thilthorpe, Murphy
R: Strachan, Pedlar, Berry

Unavailable: Stengle, Milera, Davis, Talia, Kelly, Cook
Is it wrong that I like that SANFL team much more than the AFL team? In 2 years time that SANFL team flogs the AFL version. Which is why more of those guys should be playing AFL.

Butts looks a likely type. Most people seem to be picking him at FUB but will he eventually push out to CHB when Talia returns?

Seems to move around quite well for a guy that's 198cm.
It is most likely he will stay in the team, but of course will depend on how Murray goes and how many games we want to get in to McAsey.
Butts is the most likely, but not guaranteed to stay.

Yes, it's shocking that we have to play every single team that finished above us last year. Some twice!

What an odd contradiction

It is most likely he will stay in the team, but of course will depend on how Murray goes and how many games we want to get in to McAsey.
Butts is the most likely, but not guaranteed to stay.

I'd be persevering with Butts, he was having a good game until he the ankle tweak. You could see he was getting under Dixon's skin and getting him agro like he does when he's getting beaten.

What an odd contradiction
Not really, I explained it in my post

Tex and Lynch have young players at a similar level in their position. Play the young players.

Mackay and Seedsman do not. Therefore play Mackay and Seedsman.

I understand that most will disagree, but that’s what I would do & why.

Tinfoil hat ??

Tex and Lynch have young players at a similar level in their position. Play the young players.

Hang on,you're saying we don't have many mid sized runners but we do have good young KPFs....

You're talking about Adelaide aren't you ??

"Mackay and Seedsman do not." are you serious?
Scholl & Hammil are KPD's are they? I've seen some strange comments on here but that one is right up there.

In fairness to AFL, it would be hard for them to schedule many winnable games for us.
Not really. There was meant to be a rule that ran over the draw, where the previous ladder position was split in to 3rds.
If you finished in the top 3rd, you were meant to play more double up games against top 6 teams and few against the bottom 3rd. Obviously 'rivals' were part of that as well.

We are playing double up games against more of the top 6 than Port are. It's the exact opposite of what they are meant to do. Our only double up in the top 6 should be Port. Their only double up against the bottom 6 should be against us.

This season, with no explanation, they have done the exact opposite. It's not an accident.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 team 2021

Back