Round 1 Team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

For me it shows that WHE does not really command a spot. WHE was listed as the 7th forward. Why would that be?

Why not have the placeholders as Crisp, Maynard, Nick Daicos, Elliott?

People starting WHE on the bench, tells me he is not that good,

People starting WHE on the bench or apportioning random descriptors like "7th forward" tells me they can't get past preconceived ideas they have of him as a footballer. He had a very good year playing predominantly as a wingman.

Agree with your first point re Grundy.

I agree, the bench is not for “useless players”. Seems to me he is borderline 22 and by mid to late next season won’t be a guaranteed best 22. DefinItaly a highly skilled player and was very pleased when we recruited him.

However, if you want to be in the trade game, you gotta give something to get something. WHE is an attractive trade piece that I believe we could replace fairly quickly.

At the moment, he's an incumbent starting 18 player on a wing. Up to others like Poulter to force him out of that spot over the preseason. McRae may see that differently from Harvey, time will tell.

I think thats a great game plan for swannie.When it comes to WHE we really are playing a 28 year old like a 1st or 2nd year player

WHEs stats are down below with four other players. Hard to tell which is defintely his.

Bit of a pointless exercise really without context. If anything though, the top list is arguably the pick of them. Pretty sure that's WHE. Poulter the 3rd.

Bit of a pointless exercise really without context. If anything though, the top list is arguably the pick of them. Pretty sure that's WHE. Poulter the 3rd.

How much a year do you think WHE is on ? How much are Poulter and other kids on ?

Thats the point. We arent getting what we pay for nor is he that far ahead of the kids. Take into account three of those stats were of first year players who were more than likely medical sub which id imagine lessens their averages.

How many times was WHE medical sub?

Theres a reason he remains on our list and T Phillips doesnt

WHE plays on the wing, rarely in the forward line these days. So likely he plays ahead of poulter.
If Swanny were playing and I was doing the team for R1 I'd select him in the 22. Where he starts is irrelevant. It's a game played over 4 quarters. Your take on being selected on the bench is wrong.

it’s very relevant. You can talk about the 22 all you like. The better teams have depth and their bottom half dozen are still good players.

So forget the bench then - WHE is at the bottom end of our best 22 and does not represent value.

We didn’t wait for Travis Cloke to become good enough to take over CHF…….the club moved on Tarrant and said here you go the position is now yours.

Daicos on one wing and Poulter on the other.

How much a year do you think WHE is on ? How much are Poulter and other kids on ?

Thats the point. We arent getting what we pay for nor is he that far ahead of the kids. Take into account three of those stats were of first year players who were more than likely medical sub which id imagine lessens their averages.

How many times was WHE medical sub?

Theres a reason he remains on our list and T Phillips doesnt

What difference does that make. Adding a zero relevance factor to a discussion already lacking in context isn't really all that helpful.

it’s very relevant. You can talk about the 22 all you like. The better teams have depth and their bottom half dozen are still good players.

So forget the bench then - WHE is at the bottom end of our best 22 and does not represent value.

We didn’t wait for Travis Cloke to become good enough to take over CHF…….the club moved on Tarrant and said here you go the position is now yours.

Daicos on one wing and Poulter on the other.

That's your opinion, I'll happily disagree. Thought he'd had a very good year. Still a good way ahead of Poulter on 2021 performances.

What difference does that make. Adding a zero relevance factor to a discussion already lacking in context isn't really all that helpful.

You can deny lack of context if you cant answer the question , thats fine.

Point is, we aren't getting value for money and age. Play the kids , get games into them. Games into WHE is a lost cause for where the club is at.

We have salary cap issues at end of 2020 and shell off three best 22 players for peanuts.
WHE is still with us as there would have been no takers. Would not be getting a game in top 8 teams.

He isnt a winger and not a 2 way runner like Phillips was. For all Phillips flaws with disposal, he was the best two way runner we have had in years. We have now replace him with someone who is more timid at the contest and a bit player.

Madgen for all his haters on this board is giving us better output for money and age.

You can deny lack of context if you cant answer the question , thats fine.

Point is, we aren't getting value for money and age. Play the kids , get games into them. Games into WHE is a lost cause for where the club is at.

We have salary cap issues at end of 2020 and shell off three best 22 players for peanuts.
WHE is still with us as there would have been no takers. Would not be getting a game in top 8 teams.

He isnt a winger and not a 2 way runner like Phillips was. For all Phillips flaws with disposal, he was the best two way runner we have had in years. We have now replace him with someone who is more timid at the contest and a bit player.

Madgen for all his haters on this board is giving us better output for money and age.

Umm, we were a top 8 side in 2018 and 2019 and 2020 and he was getting a game. Arguably had a better season this year than last so not sure where that leaves your claim.

You don't like him, I get it. But he plays his role. He's just about our best lead up outlet mark, he's just about the best in the side at initiating offensive run and connect, he has very good pace, and he's consistently among our better ball users.

Not sure why you feel the need to compare with a guy no longer at the club but happy for you to post the GPS comparisons between WHE and Phillips. Should be interesting reading. Especially the "at pace" and offensive/defensive splits.

Also not sure why you need to further broaden the discussion to players who play completely different roles.

Umm, we were a top 8 side in 2018 and 2019 and 2020 and he was getting a game. Arguably had a better season this year than last so not sure where that leaves your claim.

You don't like him, I get it. But he plays his role. He's just about our best lead up outlet mark, he's just about the best in the side at initiating offensive run and connect, he has very good pace, and he's consistently among our better ball users.

Not sure why you feel the need to compare with a guy no longer at the club but happy for you to post the GPS comparisons between WHE and Phillips. Should be interesting reading. Especially the "at pace" and offensive/defensive splits.

Also not sure why you need to further broaden the discussion to players who play completely different roles.

Can you sum up his first quarter in the Essendon game?

2018 he was top shelf

2019 and 2020 he was poor. This year he was poor. Should be in his prime but he has gone backwards.

I do like him. I just dont think he is important to team structure like a Mihocek. Elliott. Maynard. Moore.

Hes a bit player that is under performing. This thread is about where he lines up in 2022 in the 22. For me its out of the team , or he gets first crack and if he isnt performing he is dropped for youth.

People are labelling him a winger, hence comparison to Phillips who was salary cap squeezed.

Ill leave it there. You like what he is contributing, i think we have better options and he isn't pivotal to us moving forward. Id rather 15 to 20 games into Poulter next season than 15 to 20 into WHE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backline - our best defenders you know who they are.

Midfield - again you know who they are, but add Daicos and perhaps a mature recruit from the PSD, and Reef.

Forwards - hopefully Johnson added to the mix. Seems a hard area for us to beef up.

Can you sum up his first quarter in the Essendon game?

Your point?

Can you point me to the player in our squad who didn’t have games or periods in games that weren’t optimal this year?

Backline - our best defenders you know who they are.

Midfield - again you know who they are, but add Daicos and perhaps a mature recruit from the PSD, and Reef.

Forwards - hopefully Johnson added to the mix. Seems a hard area for us to beef up.
simple. straight to the point. I like it.

2018 he was top shelf

2019 and 2020 he was poor. This year he was poor. Should be in his prime but he has gone backwards.

I do like him. I just dont think he is important to team structure like a Mihocek. Elliott. Maynard. Moore.

Hes a bit player that is under performing. This thread is about where he lines up in 2022 in the 22. For me its out of the team , or he gets first crack and if he isnt performing he is dropped for youth.

People are labelling him a winger, hence comparison to Phillips who was salary cap squeezed.

Ill leave it there. You like what he is contributing, i think we have better options and he isn't pivotal to us moving forward. Id rather 15 to 20 games into Poulter next season than 15 to 20 into WHE.

Sheedy, Cameron, Buckley and Harvey all seemed to think differently. I’ll wait to see what McRae thinks but it’s looking to be a trend. I think Round 1 in 2022 (OP of thread) WHE will be in the team. Onus is on others to take it from him.

I’ll leave it there.

Potential Round 1 Team

B: Maynard - Roughead - Howe
HB: Pendlebury - Moore - Quaynor
C: Crisp - Adams - Sidebottom
HF: Henry - Mihocek - N.Daicos
F: Elliott - Weideman - McCreery
R: Grundy - Lipinski - DeGoey

INT: J.Daicos - Cameron - J.Ginnivan - Noble
Sub: WHE (if not traded)

- Still the biggest issue is putting a score on the board.
- Pendlebury due for a move behind the ball, comfortable our back 6 if healthy will be A grade.
- Still unsure where Nick will start in our best 22.
- Lipinski and Weideman the 2 players we are currently linked to, both fill needs (i'm not pumped about Weideman) Lipinski i can see having a Jack Crisp like resurgence with his career.
- Really looking forward to seeing what DeGoey can do with a full preseason training with the midfield group, his last 10 games showed what he is capable of.
- Still some really good kids that we'll get to see develop further next year with Poulter, Bianco, Macrae, McInnes, Ruscoe (In Defence)
- Ash Johnson the wildcard who could very well be in this team round 1.

Potential Round 1 Team

HB: Noble - Moore - Ruscoe
C: Quaynor - Adams - Bianco
HF: Henry - Mihocek - Sidebottom
F: Elliott - TBD - J Daicos
R: Grundy - Crisp - DeGoey

INT: N Daicos - Cameron - Pendlebury - Macrae

- I loved Ruscoe down back, would leave him there and free IQ to be more forward of centre whilst at same time can be an elite defensive sweeping winger.

Sidebottom at high half forward will be a creative handful and improve i50 quality and let him use those natural goal kicking talents that have been suppressed and Josh can also provide danger. Elliot and Henry are awkward match ups for any side and tempted to squeeze Ash Johnson in to compensate for our glaring deficiency with a different look.

Clearly we are missing that key forward. It needs to be number one on our wish list and we have no one of AFL quality currently unless we do the Darcy switch again and bring in Magden down back. I am all for a Weideman type that can provide a contest doesn’t have to be a superstar. Cox not the answer Cameron the preferred ruck/fwd.

Pendles on the bench as he is smart enough to be employed wherever we have an issue….this is likely to be in the midfield but back or forward I am happy for him to be anywhere as long as we are not dependent on him carrying us.

The midfield is lacking some dynamics so hoping Macrae and ND can bring something more to the mix.

We have some depth old and new but not best 22 material IMO yet

Potential Round 1 Team

HB: Noble - Moore - Ruscoe
C: Quaynor - Adams - Bianco
HF: Henry - Mihocek - Sidebottom
F: Elliott - TBD - J Daicos
R: Grundy - Crisp - DeGoey

INT: N Daicos - Cameron - Pendlebury - Macrae

- I loved Ruscoe down back, would leave him there and free IQ to be more forward of centre whilst at same time can be an elite defensive sweeping winger.

Sidebottom at high half forward will be a creative handful and improve i50 quality and let him use those natural goal kicking talents that have been suppressed and Josh can also provide danger. Elliot and Henry are awkward match ups for any side and tempted to squeeze Ash Johnson in to compensate for our glaring deficiency with a different look.

Clearly we are missing that key forward. It needs to be number one on our wish list and we have no one of AFL quality currently unless we do the Darcy switch again and bring in Magden down back. I am all for a Weideman type that can provide a contest doesn’t have to be a superstar. Cox not the answer Cameron the preferred ruck/fwd.

Pendles on the bench as he is smart enough to be employed wherever we have an issue….this is likely to be in the midfield but back or forward I am happy for him to be anywhere as long as we are not dependent on him carrying us.

The midfield is lacking some dynamics so hoping Macrae and ND can bring something more to the mix.

We have some depth old and new but not best 22 material IMO yet

Out of interest -

Do people think someone like Noble will be under pressure to retain his spot? Do we need to set our standards a bit higher?

We know McRae is big on skills.…….identified that we have plenty of the ball but it does not translate into inside 50s. Nobles ball use is not great.

For me Noble is very vanilla and should be overtake/replaced if we are to develop into a good team.

FWIW Maynes disposal may have been fairly no frills but his actual disposal efficiency was very high (Around 90%) - his calmness and generally good decision making will be missed in the back half. Who is going to step up?

Out of interest -

Do people think someone like Noble will be under pressure to retain his spot? Do we need to set our standards a bit higher?

We know McRae is big on skills.…….identified that we have plenty of the ball but it does not translate into inside 50s. Nobles ball use is not great.

For me Noble is very vanilla and should be overtake/replaced if we are to develop into a good team.

FWIW Maynes disposal may have been fairly no frills but his actual disposal efficiency was very high (Around 90%) - his calmness and generally good decision making will be missed in the back half. Who is going to step up?

I'd be disappointed if any fringe player wasn't under pressure to retain their spot.

Out of interest -

Noble is serviceable, the reason he gets games is his speed and the fact the speedy forwards expose us often. Quaynor is the popular pick off half back but if Noble can hold that position IQ can become a weapon up field.

I don’t see much on our list that displaced him easily, perhaps out of the draft or trade someone emerges to replace

Out of interest -

Out backline is pretty good. Doesn't need too much altering at this point. Noble offers something we don't have growing on trees at this club.
Real pace.
Has more positive attributes than negative imo, so he is a handy player.

Chugg is the only other one that in the future could take his place (Or Quaynor's if he moves up the ground) who is a real back pocket defender.

I'd be disappointed if any fringe player wasn't under pressure to retain their spot.
Noble is serviceable, the reason he gets games is his speed and the fact the speedy forwards expose us often. Quaynor is the popular pick off half back but if Noble can hold that position IQ can become a weapon up field.

I don’t see much on our list that displaced him easily, perhaps out of the draft or trade someone emerges to replace

IQ has learnt to actually defend. I believe when he first came to the club that was one of his weaknesses.

For the 2021 season Quaynor had 32 defensive one on ones and lost only 8.

Whereas Noble had 12 contested defensive one on ones and lost 9 of them

The quality of opponent would have been much greater for IQ than Noble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 Team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back