Round 1 Team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

IQ has learnt to actually defend. I believe when he first came to the club that was one of his weaknesses.

For the 2021 season Quaynor had 32 defensive one on ones and lost only 8.

Whereas Noble had 12 contested defensive one on ones and lost 9 of them

The quality of opponent would have been much greater for IQ than Noble.
This is exactly right, Noble's achilles heel is, he's poor defensively one on one
His best position is probably wing, but he's behind J Daicos, WHE, Sidebottom, Poulter, (Crisp)
I could see Bianco supplanting his role as mid/def, but will have to win the position in the preseason
Of course McRae will have his own idea of his best 22
I think it's also possible that Ruscoe takes the 7th defender role. Could be "horses for courses"

Best 22:

FB: Jeremy Howe ~ Jordan Roughhead ~ Brayden Maynard
HB: Jack Crisp ~ Darcy Moore ~ Isaac Quaynor
C: Josh Daicos ~ Scott Pendlebury ~ Nick Daicos
HF: Oliver Henry ~ Brody Mihocek ~ Will Hoskin-Elliot
FF: Jamie Elliot ~ Sam Weideman ~ Beau Mccreery
R: Brodie Grundy ~ Taylor Adams ~ Jordan De Goey
Int: Trey Ruscoe, Darcy Cameron, Patrick Lapinski, Finlay Macrae

IQ has learnt to actually defend. I believe when he first came to the club that was one of his weaknesses.

For the 2021 season Quaynor had 32 defensive one on ones and lost only 8.

Whereas Noble had 12 contested defensive one on ones and lost 9 of them

The quality of opponent would have been much greater for IQ than Noble.

Yeah, I'm not sure making a case that IQ is better 1v1 than Noble was necessary. Doubt it was really ever in question. Doesn't make either of them great. I'm not seeing the improvement in IQ's defensive capacity you allude to. If anything it'd be very marginal.

Yeah, I'm not sure making a case that IQ is better 1v1 than Noble was necessary. Doubt it was really ever in question. Doesn't make either of them great. I'm not seeing the improvement in IQ's defensive capacity you allude to. If anything it'd be very marginal.

You seriously have not seen improvement In how IQ defends 1 on1? Wow ok.

You seriously have not seen improvement In how IQ defends 1 on1? Wow ok.

You have. Wow okay!

What I said is that I'm not seeing the improvement in IQ's defensive capacity you allude to. It was specifically in response to this.

IQ has learnt to actually defend.

His 1v1 is only 1 element to his defensive work but even that hasn't improved greatly this year compared to last IMHO.

I think Noble is a more than serviceable depth option, in that 20-25 list ranking; either one of the last picked in the side or one of the first picked outside the best 22. I think he’d be the 25th best player or so at most clubs. He’s 24 with 44 games under his wing; is he going to improve much from here? Probably not. In 12 months you’d probably like a few players to be ahead of him in the pecking order, like Ruscoe, Poulter and if we choose to play him in a run and carry role early on, Nick Daicos.

For 44 games and for another 20-30 I think he’s been a solid Collingwood player.

Best 22:

Sam Weideman is a shitter version of Jesse White.

This obsession makes no sense to me.

I think Noble is a more than serviceable depth option, in that 20-25 list ranking; either one of the last picked in the side or one of the first picked outside the best 22. I think he’d be the 25th best player or so at most clubs. He’s 24 with 44 games under his wing; is he going to improve much from here? Probably not. In 12 months you’d probably like a few players to be ahead of him in the pecking order, like Ruscoe, Poulter and if we choose to play him in a run and carry role early on, Nick Daicos.

For 44 games and for another 20-30 I think he’s been a solid Collingwood player.
I think some can be too harsh on Noble. He does frustrate me but at least he has some speed which really stands out in our team. Also, it annoys me that he is there to receive 10-15m passes. But then I think if that’s the game plan, you can’t blame the guy because he probably executes it better with his hard running to make a short option than anyone else.

If we abandon that game plan, it will be interesting how he does. He’ll either surprise and be a handy player running it out of defence and kicking long, or he won’t get an easy kick.

Current list, adding in N.Daicos

B - Howe Roughead Quaynor
HB - Crisp Moore Maynard
C - J. Daicos DeGoey WHE
HF - Henry Mihochek Sidebottom
F - Elliott Cameron McCreery
R - Grundy Adams Pendlebury
INT - Noble N.Daicos Macrae Bianco

Would like to see us recruit a key forward and have them up forward with both Mihochek & Cameron.
If we manage to pick up Lipinski then he comes in for one of the players on the bench.

Ash Johnson could be another X-Factor type up forward.

Was hoping to see T.Brown develop into an onballer - hopefully he puts on a bit of muscle in the off season.

Best 22:

Like the look of that centre line

Current list, adding in N.Daicos

B - Howe Roughead Quaynor
HB - Crisp Moore Maynard
C - J. Daicos DeGoey WHE
HF - Henry Mihochek Sidebottom
F - Elliott Cameron McCreery
R - Grundy Adams Pendlebury
INT - Noble N.Daicos Macrae Bianco

Would like to see us recruit a key forward and have them up forward with both Mihochek & Cameron.
If we manage to pick up Lipinski then he comes in for one of the players on the bench.

Ash Johnson could be another X-Factor type up forward.

Was hoping to see T.Brown develop into an onballer - hopefully he puts on a bit of muscle in the off season.

Imo Crisp either needs to be on the wing or on ball. Lipinski goes on the other wing? Poulter?

Need to develop a forward line that is built on pressure. That is why I could not have Sidey/Thomas/WHE as half forwards. We need to become better at being more accountable to the oppositions play makers from defence.

If Josh Daicos could develop a real hard tackling pressure side of his game then he would make a terrific half forward/small forward. He has the goal sense, has compsure with ball in hand etc, gets to the right spot to crumb off the talls.

We also need at least one better ball used down back. Dogs have Caleb Daniel, Lions have Rich/Birchall, Giants Lachie Ash (from the four rounds so far I have watched) - we have no one of that calibre. Maynard/Noble are average ball users. IQ needs to improve his disposal.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best 22:

I’d be tempted to move a Daicos to the forward flank at the expense of WHE and have Poulter on the wing.

Would like Ginnivan in there as well but hard to know who for.

A fully fit list is obviously critical here but that team’s competitive I reckon.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A question to the people who have posted line ups.

In the line up they have posted, who do they believe is the best (close to elite) ball user by foot in the back half of their selected team?

This is one area where we appear to be miles off the pace.

In the line up they have posted, who do they believe is the best (close to elite) ball user by foot in the back half of their selected team?

I think it could genuinely be Ruscoe

Moore and Howe

I haven't posted a line up, but I'd have Nick D cutting his teeth in Noble's spot from this year.

I haven't posted a line up, but I'd have Nick D cutting his teeth in Noble's spot from this year.
If we get Leppitsch as a hybrid backline coach / list management type I'd like him to coach Daicos, as Tigers players rave about his understanding of the game

2021 was a dreadful year for more reasons than the football, here's to 2022, a safer world to live in and just maybe the foundation of a dynasty.

Crisp Krueger Ruscoe
Howe Moore Quaynor

Grundy De Goey N Daicos
Macrea Maynard J Daicos

Mihocek Henry Stengle
Cameron Mclean Elliott

Int:
Dib Ginnivan Adams Pendlebury

Emer:
McCreery Bianco Poulter T Brown McInnes Noble Kelly Johnson
Who the hell is Krueger?

Out backline is pretty good. Doesn't need too much altering at this point. Noble offers something we don't have growing on trees at this club.
Real pace.
Has more positive attributes than negative imo, so he is a handy player.

Chugg is the only other one that in the future could take his place (Or Quaynor's if he moves up the ground) who is a real back pocket defender.

Our backline was good when Howe Moore and Roughhead were firing

Now Howe and Roughhead are on their last legs and nothing to replace them really.

Who the hell is Krueger?
Key position player from Geelong. We were into him last season but he stuck with the Cats. Then they brought in Jeremy Cameron, so he doesn't get games at either end due to their wealth of experienced key position players

Our backline was good when Howe Moore and Roughhead were firing

Now Howe and Roughhead are on their last legs and nothing to replace them really.
Our backline is in huge trouble end of this year. Add to that How many games is moore actually on the park? All the talk about our lack of KPF, but with Howe and roughies likely last year, and the ever constant threat of Moore’s hammy issue returning we are very weak in that area. And people suggest we trade Maynard….our best line would instantly become our worst

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 Team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back