Round 1 Team vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Question Tigers fans , as I havent kept up with other teams recruits over the off season, is the Andrew Browne named on the bench the one that used to play for the Dockers? Or another one?

Tem looks pretty good. I reckon you boys should get the W. Good Luck.

Oh and I hope Cuz carves it up with 40 touches and 4 goals.

Definitely a different one.

Question Tigers fans , as I havent kept up with other teams recruits over the off season, is the Andrew Browne named on the bench the one that used to play for the Dockers? Or another one?

new one. 18 years old.

There has been word that first gamer Joseph will either line up on Cousins or Brown. Hope so because he would get towelled up.

On the lineup, the changes I would make would be:
IN
Polo
Collins/Thomson
Rance
OUT
Edwards
Bowden
Tambling/White

Going off form though Polo is extremely unlucky and If I was him I would be very pissed off about this whole situation. If he doesn't get a fair go this year don't be suprised if he asks to be traded. Cotchin and Johnson out of the midfield, how much more of a chance can he get?

:)BASED on what? We haven't played a game yet and you're ready to make changes?
And we come out tomorrow and score a good first-up win - what then?
The team chosen was predictable and for all intents and purposes the right one.
The pressure is certainly on certain players to perform but this is where we're at!
Polo was stiff - yes - but he's competing against Edwards, White, Jackson and to a lesser extent Tambling for a spot. One of them slips up, he's in. Good position to be in!!
Let's just see wht this team can do, hey?
PS Johnson out of the midfield ... I don't think he's any certainty to get back in, barnzy - even when fit!

nah mate, rookie ruckman elevated to the senior list. 18 years old in his first season of afl footy. first game against carlton in a mcg blockbuster if you dont mind ;)

The pressure is certainly on certain players to perform but this is where we're at!
Polo was stiff - yes - but he's competing against Edwards, White, Jackson and to a lesser extent Tambling for a spot. One of them slips up, he's in. Good position to be in!!
PS Johnson out of the midfield ... I don't think he's any certainty to get back in, barnzy - even when fit!

Agree.....

Its crazy people cant be happy with a round 1 lineup. There is much more then what we see that goes into choosing a team.

Round 1 is a chance to prove yourself. If everyone plays well, it should be unchanged. but as soon as you slip up, your gone becasue there is someone ready to take your spot. This is what we have needed for so long.

Flying out tomorrow morning and i cant wait!!!!

My views are Tambling has no confidence and untill he can attack the footy hard and not shirk the contest he doesn't deserve a spot. Thomson goes hard at it. Bowden does some ok things but is getting on, can only play the loose man and can't win a one on one contest. He's just going to retire within a year or two anyways, not to mention his brain fades that cost us goals. Getting games into young players should be a priority, Rance is into his 2nd year and looks the good just needs game time. Until Edwards can learn how to hit the target he shouldn't get a game either.

You know whats going to happen? Once we finally think we are ready to really tackle that illustrious flag, let alone making the finals these players are going to be 22, 23, 24 years of age ( peak period ) with 10-30 games experience. Not ideal if you ask me. Please if you disagree with any of that let me know.

Whilst 5 of the back six look good (I would have had Polo instead of McCheese) its basically the same team that ran around all last year.

Have this bunch improved that much over the pre-season to win round one, let alone match everyones expectation of playing finals footy.

Big Ben doesn't make that much of a difference.

Hope the boys put up a good fight, but I think we still have some ways to go.

There has been word that first gamer Joseph will either line up on Cousins or Brown. Hope so because he would get towelled up.

Not so sure about that. Ablett played arguably his worst game in a long time when matched up on Joseph. While Joseph can find the ball, he's shown he's more than willing of sacrificing his own game for the sake of the team.

Not so sure about that. Ablett played arguably his worst game in a long time when matched up on Joseph. While Joseph can find the ball, he's shown he's more than willing of sacrificing his own game for the sake of the team.

I watched that game, he was very good. Can't see him holding either of these two back though, especially Brown. We will see though.

Whilst 5 of the back six look good (I would have had Polo instead of McCheese) its basically the same team that ran around all last year.

Have this bunch improved that much over the pre-season to win round one, let alone match everyones expectation of playing finals footy.

Big Ben doesn't make that much of a difference.

Hope the boys put up a good fight, but I think we still have some ways to go.

I think thats the thing though, we finally have a pretty solid starting 22 and don't particularly need to change players around all the time.

Pretty happy with the side we have put in, Rance will get a look in soon im sure and Polo just has to accept he is a Best 24 player.

We are coming up against a pretty unexperienced Carlton line-up we have a chance to kick-start our season in a big way!

Polo very unlucky, Rance unlucky, White lucky, and Edwards very lucky but i can understand why those two where picked and im happy with that.

Polo is slow but is tough and uses the ball well, and i think it would be prtety hard for him to break into our back six at the moment. White and Edwards you would assume are picked becuase of their speed, run the blues off their feet.

Polo is competing with jackson for that spot in the side, both are simular players, tough, use the ball pretty well but both are pretty slow and i dont think we could fit both in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not a Richmond supporter but I'm wondering why Jake King isn't getting a game? From what I've seen he looks like a very solid player that always gives 110%. Is he injured or just wasn't picked? Every time you lads play my mob (essendon) he impresses me a lot.
Whats the deal? No one has mentioned his name at all in this thread

My views are Tambling has no confidence and untill he can attack the footy hard and not shirk the contest he doesn't deserve a spot. Thomson goes hard at it. Bowden does some ok things but is getting on, can only play the loose man and can't win a one on one contest. He's just going to retire within a year or two anyways, not to mention his brain fades that cost us goals. Getting games into young players should be a priority, Rance is into his 2nd year and looks the good just needs game time. Until Edwards can learn how to hit the target he shouldn't get a game either.

You know whats going to happen? Once we finally think we are ready to really tackle that illustrious flag, let alone making the finals these players are going to be 22, 23, 24 years of age ( peak period ) with 10-30 games experience. Not ideal if you ask me. Please if you disagree with any of that let me know.

OK...Joel Bowden. I seem to recall him actually stepping in at key moments last year to win us soe games. Port Adelaide for one ... and a few others.
He's a year or two away from retiring so don't play him. Good logic that! Might escape you but Richo, Troy Simmonds and possibly Nathan Brown and Ben Cousins are a year or two away from retiring. Ditch them too??????
Bowden has earned his spot with sustained performances over time. We are a better team with him onboard at this stage.

Edwards ... actually thought his pre-sason was quite good by all reports. He's earneda spot too.

IMO, Tambling is facing a make or break year ...he knows he has to perform or others will jump the queue. Pressure is on .. good spot for him to be in. Thomson and others breathing down his neck is a good thing! Time will tell.

To be honest, barnzy, I think the team ha sa nice balance to it tomorrow night. Think we're a good thing. We're predominantly a younger side - a predominantly young side that is starting to come together and has done over the last year and a half. Players like Deledio, Tambling, Edwards, White, Riewoldt, Thursfield, Moore, McGuane, Newman, Morton, Foley, Jackson are all coming along together and aren't exactly old.
Rance's time is coming - but befoire Thursfield, Moore and McGuane...not yet!
Thomson, his time is coming too!

like the side, think it has good balance.

The more I think about it, the more I think Polo might squeeze into the side, not at the expense of tich, but probably White. Sacrifice some raw speed for a shutdown player. I think tich has shown a fair bit this pre season and is further up in the pecking order.

With their bluechip midfield being their strength I think we need a plan B just in case Judd and co. start running amok. Polo is capable of doing a number on Murphy/Gibbs, we definitely need another shutdown midfielder in there. Polo will be included Im sure

Here is the team for the opening game of the season.
Richmond:

B: Chris Newman Kelvin Moore Andrew Raines

HB: Joel Bowden Luke McGuane Jordan McMahon

C: Shane Edwards Shane Tuck Matthew White

HF: Nathan Brown Matthew Richardson Jack Riewoldt

F: Ben Cousins Jay Schulz Richard Tambling

Foll: Troy Simmonds Brett Deledio Nathan Foley

Int: Will Thursfield Andrew Browne Mitch Morton Daniel Jackson

Emg: Andrew Collins Dean Polo Alex Rance

This side is a disgrace, Thompson, Rance, Polo have all shown a lot more than McMahon, Edwards and White over the pre-season, its about time the selection staff stopped excepting medicore efforts, whether they like them personally or not, the naming of this side has just proven that the coaching staff are going to coach along the old safety measure this year and again finish 8-10 th, provided we have no injuries worries. Dean Polo should be extremely peed with the coaching panel, who obviously have something against him because, he has clearly been in our best 21 in the pre-season games, what else can he do ?

This side is a disgrace, Thompson, Rance, Polo have all shown a lot more than McMahon, Edwards and White over the pre-season, its about time the selection staff stopped excepting medicore efforts, whether they like them personally or not, the naming of this side has just proven that the coaching staff are going to coach along the old safety measure this year and again finish 8-10 th, provided we have no injuries worries. Dean Polo should be extremely peed with the coaching panel, who obviously have something against him because, he has clearly been in our best 21 in the pre-season games, what else can he do ?

Chezzuzz... talk about overreaction

Thompson was in the rehab group

We already have Thursty, McGuane and Moore as tall defenders. Bowden and Schultz can also be used. In the meantime, Carlton are only playing ONE permenant tall foward in Fev and two partimes in Kruez and Cloke. Adding Rance would make us too top heavy

Polo is the only one who is a bit stiff, but clearly the coaching staff believe Edwards is ahead of him. As CoggaRules said, he is also a good match-up on Carlton's nippy fowards like Betts and Gartlett

I give the team a 9/10.

OK...Joel Bowden. I seem to recall him actually stepping in at key moments last year to win us soe games. Port Adelaide for one ... and a few others.
He's a year or two away from retiring so don't play him. Good logic that! Might escape you but Richo, Troy Simmonds and possibly Nathan Brown and Ben Cousins are a year or two away from retiring. Ditch them too??????
Bowden has earned his spot with sustained performances over time. We are a better team with him onboard at this stage.

Edwards ... actually thought his pre-sason was quite good by all reports. He's earneda spot too.

IMO, Tambling is facing a make or break year ...he knows he has to perform or others will jump the queue. Pressure is on .. good spot for him to be in. Thomson and others breathing down his neck is a good thing! Time will tell.

To be honest, barnzy, I think the team ha sa nice balance to it tomorrow night. Think we're a good thing. We're predominantly a younger side - a predominantly young side that is starting to come together and has done over the last year and a half. Players like Deledio, Tambling, Edwards, White, Riewoldt, Thursfield, Moore, McGuane, Newman, Morton, Foley, Jackson are all coming along together and aren't exactly old.
Rance's time is coming - but befoire Thursfield, Moore and McGuane...not yet!
Thomson, his time is coming too!

I don't disagree with you on any that really but let me just ask you this. If TW was not in his 5th year of the 5 year plan do you think he would be playing the same lineup he is at the moment? He needs results so he's going to play the best team no matter what, even if it halts the development of some younger players which could come back to haunt us a bit in the future.

In saying that I still think he got the lineup slightly wrong with Polo as emergency while White and Edwards being in the best 22 is debatable. I think everyone would know views on McTurnover.

We already have Thursty, McGuane and Moore as tall defenders. Bowden and Schultz can also be used. In the meantime, Carlton are only playing ONE permenant tall foward in Fev and two partimes in Kruez and Cloke. Adding Rance would make us too top heavy

Polo is the only one who is a bit stiff, but clearly the coaching staff believe Edwards is ahead of him. As CoggaRules said, he is also a good match-up on Carlton's nippy fowards like Betts and Gartlett

I give the team a 9/10.

:thumbsu:AMEN, brother RichosGuns!!

Im not a Richmond supporter but I'm wondering why Jake King isn't getting a game? From what I've seen he looks like a very solid player that always gives 110%. Is he injured or just wasn't picked? Every time you lads play my mob (essendon) he impresses me a lot.
Whats the deal? No one has mentioned his name at all in this thread

I give the team a 9/10.

Except polo should be in and mcmahon shouldn't :cool:
I'm dreading seeing Mcmahon give away a couple of goals with 'unheard of' turnovers :eek:

Couple of posters have stated that White is lucky but he's my big tip to be most improved this year. Has great skills and can run like the wind. Been in the system for a few years now and time to step up...and I'm tipping he will. Should thrive on the focus moving towards the tier 1 onballers where we finally have some depth with Cousins joining Foley, Lids, Tuck etc...

Will be interesting to see if Thursfield does start on the bench or if he has first crack at Fev. Also hoping that Browne holds up. All that is expected from the big bloke is to compete and throw his body around and hope he does. If nothing else, a big bloke should be able to be hard at it and make his teammates stand tall. Missed this for many a year. I hear he doesn't mind body contact...good luck to him.

Moment of truth almost upon us...bring it on!!!

Fly down tomorrow morning and will be counting down the hours to the game.

Go Tiges!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 Team vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back