Round 1 Team vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

re Jake King

not good enough mate, offers terrific run but sometimes errs with decision making which costs us, we already have enough of those types ;). Also got found out last season and gets dragged to the goal square everytime we play him.

Will struggle to get into our best 22 from here on unless theres monumental improvement (which I dont think hes capable of producing)

Chezzuzz... talk about overreaction

Thompson was in the rehab group

We already have Thursty, McGuane and Moore as tall defenders. Bowden and Schultz can also be used. In the meantime, Carlton are only playing ONE permenant tall foward in Fev and two partimes in Kruez and Cloke. Adding Rance would make us too top heavy

Polo is the only one who is a bit stiff, but clearly the coaching staff believe Edwards is ahead of him. As CoggaRules said, he is also a good match-up on Carlton's nippy fowards like Betts and Gartlett

I give the team a 9/10.

Finally someone with some common sense!!

The season is still 24 hours from starting and everyone on here is already whinging.

Chezzuzz... talk about overreaction

Thompson was in the rehab group

We already have Thursty, McGuane and Moore as tall defenders. Bowden and Schultz can also be used. In the meantime, Carlton are only playing ONE permenant tall foward in Fev and two partimes in Kruez and Cloke. Adding Rance would make us too top heavy

Polo is the only one who is a bit stiff, but clearly the coaching staff believe Edwards is ahead of him. As CoggaRules said, he is also a good match-up on Carlton's nippy fowards like Betts and Gartlett

I give the team a 9/10.

So you don't think Newman and Raines will go to Betts and Garlett, interestingly that leaves Cloke/Kruez, whether they are changing there or not their still talls, Houlihan,Fev and have named Waite at CHF, so who out of them is McMahon going to beat in a one on one, on the ground or in the air.

So you don't think Newman and Raines will go to Betts and Garlett, interestingly that leaves Cloke/Kruez, whether they are changing there or not their still talls, Houlihan,Fev and have named Waite at CHF, so who out of them is McMahon going to beat in a one on one, on the ground or in the air.

maybe he will play on a wing. and why is everyone so in love with polo?

Waite WILL play on Richo after his great effort against him last year in the centenary match. It is unlikley that he will play foward.

I would also doubt Carlton would play Kruezer, Cloke and Fev in the same foward line. Even if we did we would still have Bowden left as a loose man to help out against Fevola.

In your world, we would be forced to play a Thurstfield, Moore, Bowden, or McGuane on either Betts or Gartlett with Raines taking the other one. Betts and Gartlett would run rings around taller blokes.

Newman will take Houlihan, and McMohan will take the useless Wiggins

I don't disagree with you on any that really but let me just ask you this. If TW was not in his 5th year of the 5 year plan do you think he would be playing the same lineup he is at the moment? He needs results so he's going to play the best team no matter what, even if it halts the development of some younger players which could come back to haunt us a bit in the future.

why wouldnt he be trying to win every game? isnt that what coaches are supposed to do? our years of development are over - if you want a spot in the team you actually have to have the promise of making it a better team. we should go into every game with the strongest possible side and the will to win.

On paper, we should maul them!

Heres how I think they'll actually lineup:

Green = clear win for us
Yellow = moderate win for us
Blue = moderate win for them
Red = clear win for them

B: Aaron Joseph Michael Jamison Heath Scotland
F: Ben Cousins Jay Schulz Mitch Morton

Expect carlton's star (lol) tagger to shadow cuz and get butchered. Schulz and Jamison will be an even contest as will scotland and morton. Carlton seem to lack genuine small/mid defenders however and morton could chop up someone like scotland whose main focus is attack.

HB: Jordan Russell Bret Thornton Paul Bower
HF: Nathan Brown Matthew Richardson Jack Riewoldt

Brown to slaughter Russell in every regard...has had his first full pre-season since before '05 and looks every bit as good as he was back then. Richo is god, thornton is not. Nuff said. But Thornton will only play on him if he plays up forward. Otherwise you would think Waite would be the matchup. Still a win for us. Riewoldt and Bower will be an interesting contest. Riewoldt has him in the air and on the ground but will struggle on the lead as bower is more athletic. Bower could cause problems going the other way.

C: Kade Simpson Marc Murphy Chris Johnson
C: Shane Edwards Shane Tuck Matthew White

I think edwards may tag the underrated Kade Simpson, or at least go head to head and apply some of his trademark tackles. But experience should prevail. Tuck and Murphy are the most consistent players in each respective team and should break even. Matty White to just have the edge over the overrated Chris Johnson thanks to his superior pace.

HF: Ryan Houlihan Jarrad Waite Jeffrey Garlett
HB: Chris Newman Luke McGuane Jordan McMahon

Newman will stick to Houlihan like glue...and should not only negate him but provide us with attack off the flank. McGuane will keep it close with Waite, but Waite will probably kick 2 or 3 and have a good game. McMahon should comfortably control the rookie garlett.

F: Matthew Kreuzer Brendan Fevola Eddie Betts
B: Will Thursfield Kelvin Moore Andrew Raines

Thursfield will probably negate Kreuz and whichever other ruckman they send down there with his pace and reach but if the height difference becomes too much McGuane's leap would be better suited here. Fev and Moore will be close, especially with Fev's heal problems causing a noticeable limp at training. If fit, fev will win, if not, moore could create alot of run from defence. Betts will have Raines measure in pace and will pressure him coming out of defence, I think Betts could kick 3-4 to be Carltons leading goalkicker.

Foll: Cameron Cloke Bryce Gibbs Chris Judd
Foll: Troy Simmonds Brett Deledio Nathan Foley

Simmo is reportedly peaking at just the right time...and as such should recapture his '06 form. Should destroy Cloke/Kreuzer and Jacobs without Browne having to do much. Don't believe the hype, Gibbs isn't elite. Not yet anyway. Deledio has the pace, strength, and attacking ability to make Gibbs look like a fool if they choose to tag him. If they go head to head, watch out for Richmond to bring jackson off the bench and onto gibbs and move lids into the forwardline where he will cause havoc.

Int: Richard Hadley Sam Jacobs Mitch Robinson Simon Wiggins
Int: Andrew Browne Daniel Jackson Richard Tambling Joel Bowden

Our depth on the bench beats theirs, jacobs/browne cancel each other out as do hadley/jackson... and wiggins/tambling are arguably similarly rated in terms of output instead of position. That leaves mitch robinson vs the 2 time all-australian best and fairest winning Joel Bowden...who I still think has alot to offer.

Predicted result:

Richmond by 30 points...
Richmond best: Deledio (BOG: 35 disposals, 3 goals), Richo, Tuck, Foley, Brown
Carlton Best: Simpson, Judd, Murphy, Scotland

why wouldnt he be trying to win every game? isnt that what coaches are supposed to do? our years of development are over - if you want a spot in the team you actually have to have the promise of making it a better team. we should go into every game with the strongest possible side and the will to win.

This is where some people have no idea. If you want to think that go ahead but prepare to be dissapointed. You really think Rance, Vickery, Post, Connors, Collins, Thomson, Hislop, Putt, Hughes, etc are going to come in and have immediate impacts? No, they need game time at the highest level. Some of these names are going to no doubt feature in the future once all the older players retire within 2 years. We are by no way out of the woods yet. Use logic and sense, stop looking past the truth into fairyland.

Waite WILL play on Richo after his great effort against him last year in the centenary match. It is unlikley that he will play foward.

I would also doubt Carlton would play Kruezer, Cloke and Fev in the same foward line. Even if we did we would still have Bowden left as a loose man to help out against Fevola.

In your world, we would be forced to play a Thurstfield, Moore, Bowden, or McGuane on either Betts or Gartlett with Raines taking the other one. Betts and Gartlett would run rings around taller blokes.

Newman will take Houlihan, and McMohan will take the useless Wiggins
No I'd play Newman and Raines on Betts and Garlett, our three talls on their 3 tallest, it's not as if Moore or McGuanne haven't played on smaller players before and the point remains why is McMahon getting a game in our defensive half before Rance or Polo ??
and based on your thoughts of their line -up

Fev - Thursty
Garlett - Newman
Betts - Raines
Cloke/Kruezer - Mc Guanne
Houlihan - Polo/Rance
Wiggins - Moore , which would allow him a little freedom to come across in front of Fev ala last season !

Possible Match Ups:

Richmond vs Carlton:

B: Chris Newman Kelvin Moore Andrew Raines
F: Simon Wiggins Brendan Fevola Eddie Betts

HB: Joel Bowden Luke McGuane Jordan McMahon
HF: Ryan Houlihan Cameron Cloke Jeffery Gartlett

C: Brett Deledio Shane Tuck Matthew White
C: Kade Simpson Marc Murphy Chris Johnson

HF: Nathan Brown Matthew Richardson Jack Riewoldt
HB: Aaron Joseph Jarrad Waite Brett Thorton

F: Ben Cousins Jay Schulz Richard Tambling
B: Jordan Russell Michael Jamison Heath Scotland

Foll: Troy Simmonds Daniel Jackson Nathan Foley
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer Chirs Judd Bryce Gibbs

Int: Will Thursfield Andrew Browne Mitch Morton Shane Edwards
Int: Paul Bower Sam Jacobs Mitch Robinson Richard Hadley

Emg: Andrew Collins Dean Polo Alex Rance
Emg: Dennis Armfield Shaun Hampson Andrew Walker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we have gone for speed with the poteintisl to run them ragged, problem is disposal is a worry. edwards/ jackson/ white. geez these blokes are quick but they cant deliver the footy. it could come back to bite us. rance, collins, polo are unlucky. forget about dropping tambling and mchmahon they are terrys love children. we need to make some tough calls on selection but lets see what they do, lets roll the dice and get on with it.

Some people here are sledging Bowden, however others think he deserves his spot.
Do you guys see him playing every game this year or will it depend on form? He was awesome last year so I really don;t understand why you guys don;t want him. You surely can't drop him when he is performing? Where is he at?

He'll keep his spot for as long as he earns it like everyone else. Right now he is quite clearly in our best 22, and I would expect him to remain there all year.

This where some people have no idea. If you want to think that go ahead but prepare to be dissapointed. You really think Rance, Vickery, Post, Connors, Collins, Thomson, Hislop, Putt, Hughes, etc are going to come in and have immediate impacts? No, they game time at the highest level. Some of these names are going to no doubt feature in the future once all the older players retire within 2 years. We are by no way out of the woods yet. Use logic and sense, stop looking past the truth into fairyland.

Yeh but technically every side is developing every year then? footy clubs go in cycles its about turning the the high draft picks u receive into success (deledio/cotchin/tambling). Those players u mentioned despite Vickery have alot of uncertainty about them.

Next year and 2011 are our real years for success(we will still make 8 this year though) because the players retiring after that richo, brown, simmonds etc are and always will be miles ahead of post, rance etc

Some people here are sledging Bowden, however others think he deserves his spot.
Do you guys see him playing every game this year or will it depend on form? He was awesome last year so I really don;t understand why you guys don;t want him. You surely can't drop him when he is performing? Where is he at?

I like bowden, can play on a third forward, although he is nto great one on on, or go up forward. preferable id like to see him FF, **** shultz and hughes but i guess will have to wait and see... he does give us good experience.

Its a good side when you look at the total list.
We recruited in the off season for depth and while a case can be mounted for Polo, Rance and Thomson - I'm sure they know where they stand.
Our side has much more experience than the Blues - they have a lot of new players where we look very settled.
Even if you were to accept that the talent between the 2 sides is even, our edge is in experience and stability.

Agree mhill. I actually thought the team wrote itself, no surprises at all. Polo and Thomson and maybe Rance the only ones that could possibly consider themselves stiff, but I wouldn't have thought so.

This could be the easiest game for us to win all year, we have just about a full list to choose from missing only cotchin and Johnson who would have slipped in if fit but the replacements more then make up for this cousins for cotchin and any of 5 or 6 players for johnson.

This is as strong a team as we can put on the park really so if we dont win we could be in for a very bleak season. Im expecting Raines and Cousins to tear this game open.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 Team vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back