Preview Round 1 v Port Adelaide @ AAMI Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll be staggered if we go with Polo over Siposs.

It depends how the coaches want the team mix to be.
If they want another midfielder in the mix then Siposs would be a pretty poor choice. Polo ahead of Ray is a stranger decision.
Add Armitage, Steven and Ledger and we have a surprising number of in and under players.

I'm a fan of Sippa and his future as an AFL player, but his preseason hasn't reflected any great form. Would have thought it would be good for him to bag a few goals in the VFL. I'd note that he's comfortably younger than Markworth who was only just drafted.

And the forward line is already tall enough with Rhys (who has shown some form).

Whilst Polo's kicking was a bit stinky last week, his ability to swing through the midfield and then go into defence was noteworthy, along with seemingly playing "taller" than 187cm. It wasn't as if he couldn't find the ball in traffic.

If a mid was picked over a forward, why wasn't Ray picked over Polo?

Super interesting call, maybe Polo has torn up preseason and is a secret weapon? Eh, somehow doubt it.

I didn't think Ray was that good at VFL last week. I could be wrong but I always though of Polo as more of an in and under player than Ray, but thats confusing too, with all of Steven, Armo, Ledger, Hayes.

Ray was dropped to VFL a few weeks back, Polo was back their due to illness & needing extra game time. Ray has had shocking preseason and was very surprised to see him named in 18 yesterday.

Currently our major deficiency is contested footy. Polo not the best in this aspect however along with Armo he's serviceable and will support Hayes in this area more so than Ray. I don't mind this particular selection.

From memory, both Faz and Deano were pretty solid in the last VFL practice match. But whilst Polo was solid again in round 1, Faz was just OK. A couple of efforts weren't at his usual standard.

I would've thought Siposs would've taken Schneider's spot at HF but maybe Milera played himself into that spot with his effort last week. Jones in is the one that surprises me because he has no offensive game at all.

Hey guys, did you notice that Milera got named? For his debut?

Bloody fine effort!

Considering all the hype was about Saad the entire off and pre-season. To come back from an injury and seemingly out of nowhere demand a spot in our side...Well, he was pretty good in the NAB cup.

Impressive as.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would've thought Siposs would've taken Schneider's spot at HF but maybe Milera played himself into that spot with his effort last week. Jones in is the one that surprises me because he has no offensive game at all.

Plenty of people find his kicking offensive. I'm just hoping he gets a straight out tagging role.

Plenty of people find his kicking offensive. I'm just hoping he gets a straight out tagging role.

You're a funny bastard sometimes. Other times, just a bastard :D

why is dean polo playing in our team?? he is an average player who i think will bring nothing to future and will impact the game less than ray and less or as much as siposs would.
he is a richmond reject??

Hey guys was wondering what's a good pub to watch the port game in the city? The Mrs is a saints supporter, was thinking the peacock in northcote, but was wondering if there's a good venue you guys frequent for interstate games?

No love for Polo? Well.. I'm coming to his defence.

Thought he was decent the games he played in the second half of last year. Sure, he might not have great disposal by foot, but his contested ball work is right up there. He can also play a shut down role on a mid.

From reading what a few of you have been saying about his selection, its all about the style of player he really is and that we have others to get the job done. But I think we need him in the team.

Hayes - Can you really expect a bloke who's been out for a season to come back and impact the game like he did in 2010? Not in his first "real" game back

Armitage - From what I've seen in the NAB Cup, he's been very average, and that highlights his second half of last year where in my opinion he dropped away

Steven - Again, hasn't had a great NAB Cup, fell away late last year and you need more than two contested ball players in todays game

Ledger - 3rd AFL game, I don't expect him to carry the load of contested work in the midfield

Polo gives you that option. Remember that a young guy will most likely be subbed on/off so you need older heads in there to help out.

I don't expect to get much of a positive response from this, but I'll come back after the game and see how the thinking here is, whether playing Polo in the side was more of a positive than a negative.

Whilst I agree with everything you say SammyFish25, I thought Polo's preseason work showed very little.

If we are selecting players on exposed form / performances, he didn't quite make it.

I rate Polo's work ethic and contested footy. Also he is not a tiny man, and I think it helps to have a bit of grunt out there to add to the physicality - especially when you have kids to stand up for.

Polo is OK by me.

It depends how the coaches want the team mix to be.
If they want another midfielder in the mix then Siposs would be a pretty poor choice. Polo ahead of Ray is a stranger decision.
Add Armitage, Steven and Ledger and we have a surprising number of in and under players.

Disappointing for Siposs but still a pretty exciting team with Cripps named with Milera in there as well. Sunday can't come soon enough.

I can't understand Polo over Siposs

Its easy. If you want a forward you choose Siposs. If you want a mid you choose Polo.
I dont believe for a minute that Polo was chosen over Siposs, its simply that a midfielder was chosen over a forward.

I'm a fan of Sippa and his future as an AFL player, but his preseason hasn't reflected any great form. Would have thought it would be good for him to bag a few goals in the VFL. I'd note that he's comfortably younger than Markworth who was only just drafted.

And the forward line is already tall enough with Rhys (who has shown some form).

Whilst Polo's kicking was a bit stinky last week, his ability to swing through the midfield and then go into defence was noteworthy, along with seemingly playing "taller" than 187cm. It wasn't as if he couldn't find the ball in traffic.

The non-selection of Siposs might be a great move - because he was looking to be almost an automatic selection, given his talent. It is a reminder that the club want to focus on earning your spot.

Lets hope he responds the way the clubs hope - by having a blinder in the Zebs and forcing his inclusion next week.

Lets hope he responds the way the clubs hope - by having a blinder in the Zebs and forcing his inclusion next week.

Considering he is named as an emergency and Sandringham play Sunday as well, he might not play at all this week. Don't the emergencies travel over with the rest of the team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 1 v Port Adelaide @ AAMI Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back