Round 10 Melbourne v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

480px-Not-bad-obama.png

I'll collect the nearest the pin trophy.

Okay, serious time, obviously Melbourne are pretty ordinary at the moment. But it was good to see them lay 76 tackles. Even if you have to field a VFL side the one thing they should be able to do in an attempt to not get hopelessly pumped is to tackle, and anything over 70 is a pretty good effort. I won't belittle them by saying "at least they had a crack" but it's some tiny sliver to hang a bit of pride on.

Okay, serious time, obviously Melbourne are pretty ordinary at the moment. But it was good to see them lay 76 tackles. Even if you have to field a VFL side the one thing they should be able to do in an attempt to not get hopelessly pumped is to tackle, and anything over 70 is a pretty good effort.

Exactly right. Especially since as I've been saying, ineffective tackles have been a major problem for us prior to this week. The fact we laid 76 effective tackles today is a big step forward in that area to say the least.

Thoughts on Lewis, Franklin and Puopolo playing for frees in the 2nd half?

Poor form? Or just part of how the game is these days?

Was it better than Brad Green's efforts against GWS last year?

Damn players from a struggling team showing emotion when something good happens. Bastards, don't they realise they've forfeited the right to celebrate such things? Just ain't right
1y0ZJVf.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on Lewis, Franklin and Puopolo playing for frees in the 2nd half?

Poor form? Or just part of how the game is these days?

I didn't watch the game close enough to pick up on the incidents you didn't mention, but in general terms...

Puopolo 'manufactures' contact in part because of his stature, in part because how he plays. He's one of the few Hawks who's worked out the "cut back" manoeuvre. As often as not he's played on - ala Selwood it's a tackle-breaking method, rather than a free-drawing one.

Franklin was just held and infringed upon constantly all day. It's a self-defeating practice - he doesn't stage, so he doesn't get the free, so his defender infringes "just a bit more" and Franklin lets it be seen - he still doesn't get the free, so the next time he doesn't compete and lets himself be taken out of the contest - even then it's a worse than 50/50 shot at getting the free. He does an amazing job not to "BBBB Hall" someone.

Lewis plays "the game", so it wouldn't surprise me, but he's got something of a reputation with the umps, often does cop a knock but isn't compensated.

Just got back from the game (went out afterwards). My 2c:

Melbourne had a real dip (bar a couple of players). Plenty of tackles.

Understandable but they kept structuring with the assumption that they would lose the next contest which hurt them I thought.

Dawes had a very good game. Don't need to mention Jones who has the same quality game every week.

Hawthorn just cruised at times.

Franklin was severely (illegally) impeded by Frawley in every contest today. Held him without the slightest attempt at the ball. Was quite funny in the end with some Melbourne supporters laughing a lot and making a game of it (encouraging Frawley to try and get away with more). I do prefer the umpire to stay out of it as much as possible but it must have been very frustrating for Franklin with his opponent not even knowing where the ball was whilst bear hugging him.

Round 10 Melbourne v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back