Preview Round 11: Carlton v Essendon, Friday 7th June 7:50pm, MCG - Team post #834

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sydney moved the ball better than Essendon in the conditions. Fletcher/Hooker/Hibberd most of the time were behind the ball, but Sydney were just too good and cleaner going forward.

The MCG suits our game style, even more so than Etihad.

The conditins where pretty soggy ie the ball, just a run of the mill kick was tricky, sydney really handled those conditions really well, andyes you play the mcg better, should be a great game.

You lost to Richmond, Collingwood and St Kilda - sides which we beat comfortably.

You also barely scrapped past the Lions and arguably would've lost had their best defender not been out from suspension.
image.jpg

Levi has never kicked straight, and that is the problem. A BIG problem in a key forward. And given that he has been at the club for a number of years, I would have thought his action would have been analysed to the minutest detail to try and fix the problem, but to no avail.

Sorry folks, but facts must be faced. I love his contested marking, his pack crashing, his effort, his attitude. But I hate watching him line up for goal from anywhere outside the goal square, and even then I watch from between my fingers.
I was happy to see Levi take his set shots on goal against GWS, hoping he would gain confidence. But in big games it might pay to mix things up a bit. There can be set plays during Levi's shot at goal preparation to have quick goal kickers lurking for the handball receive and shot at goal on the run. Can't overdo it as it becomes predictable.

Is Levi a better kick on the run than set shot? Barry Hall made an occupation by frequently running around the player on the mark to improve the angle.

We could look for more opportunities to use our fleet foot brigade in Garlett, Yarran, Armfield, Betts who could be immediately setting up for the handball receive as soon as Levi takes the mark. Steven Milne has picked up so many cheapies this way.

It's not just Casboult where improvement is needed. Hampson needs assistance and Kreuzer used to be highly accurate with set shots. Fortunately, Waite is back to alleviate matters. But essendon is, unfortunately, a formidable opponent at present. We should be firing on all cylinders to challenge the top teams.

What is Barker doing to drastically improve our forward effectiveness? We should be using our massive array of forward talent more imaginatively.

You lost to Richmond, Collingwood and St Kilda - sides which we beat comfortably.

You also barely scrapped past the Lions and arguably would've lost had their best defender not been out from suspension.

But we did beat Brisbane in Brisbane, a significantly harder proposition that beating them in Melbourne, which you failed to do. We also beat GWS by 94 points, and yet you could only beat them by 39 points.
We only lost to Geelong by 17 points, yet you lost to them by 28 points.

Want me to keep going with some more irelevant stats, or should I quit whilst I am way out in front?

:rolleyes:

But essendon is, unfortunately, a formidable opponent at present.
Geelong, Hawthorn & Sydney are formidable teams.

Fremantle, Essendon, Carlton, Richmond and Collingwood are in the middle group and hoping to make the top four.

Adelaide, WC & Norf next rung down if they have some luck and get on a roll to make the top eight.

Competition is as even as I can remember.

I was happy to see Levi take his set shots on goal against GWS, hoping he would gain confidence. But in big games it might pay to mix things up a bit. There can be set plays during Levi's shot at goal preparation to have quick goal kickers lurking for the handball receive and shot at goal on the run. Can't overdo it as it becomes predictable.

Is Levi a better kick on the run than set shot? Barry Hall made an occupation by frequently running around the player on the mark to improve the angle.

We could look for more opportunities to use our fleet foot brigade in Garlett, Yarran, Armfield, Betts who could be immediately setting up for the handball receive as soon as Levi takes the mark. Steven Milne has picked up so many cheapies this way.

It's not just Casboult where improvement is needed. Hampson needs assistance and Kreuzer used to be highly accurate with set shots. Fortunately, Waite is back to alleviate matters. But essendon is, unfortunately, a formidable opponent at present. We should be firing on all cylinders to challenge the top teams.

What is Barker doing to drastically improve our forward effectiveness? We should be using our massive array of forward talent more imaginatively.

Levi seems to be a better kick when on the move. He also hits it better when he is bending the ball, kicks a really good banana.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club thinks its more of a mental thing as opposed to a technical thing. Apparently slotted 9 goals and kicked straight in the two weeks leading into the GWS game in the VFL. Working heavily on mental side as nervousness is a killer for Levi. Backing him in to come good. Watch this space.

It could be a mental thing. He does twitch the ball around a lot before he settles down to start his run up. Much as I hate to say this... maybe he needs to borrow the grass tossing thing that Lloyd had to help him settle his nerves before taking the shot.

It could be a mental thing. He does twitch the ball around a lot before he settles down to start his run up. Much as I hate to say this... maybe he needs to borrow the grass tossing thing that Lloyd had to help him settle his nerves before taking the shot.

Is it me or am I the only one thinking that Levi should be aiming at far post every time he has a shot?

Levi has plenty going for him and seems to complement Kreuz really well. I'm sure he'll be working hard at his kicking and I'll back him to come good.

Remarkable to see him in this position given 12 months ago, didn't seem to be in anyone's calculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back