Round 12 - Round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Simple Phil,

Have some luck with injuries and we are a chance for 6-2.

Lets not forget that we are playing without Hodge Lewis Crawford and Guerra atm...thats about 100 possies a game.

Need these guys back...Lets hope that in some sort of bizzare fashion that the rest these guys are having at the moment due to injury will keep them a bit fresher later in the season for us.

Get them back and firing and we are a huge chance against anyone.

vs Adelaide (AAMI) - 50/50
vs Roos (MCG) - WIN
vs West Coast (MCG) - WIN
vs Swans (MCG) - 50/50
vs Saints (TD) - WIN
vs Geelong (MCG) - 50/50
vs Collinngwood (MCG) - WIN
vs Lions (Aurora) - WIN

I wouldn't care too much to drop games against the Crows or Cats as long as we are competitive. It is in September I want to beat these teams. But I would really like to us smash Sydney for a change!

vs Adelaide (AAMI)
vs Roos (MCG)
vs West Coast (MCG)
vs Swans (MCG)
vs Saints (TD)
vs Geelong (MCG)
vs Collinngwood (MCG)
vs Lions (Aurora)

be lucky if we win 4-4..

the crows at aami will be hard, the swans at mcg might work in our favour i wont except a loss we must beat them. WC at mcg might be a blow out.
saints will a tough task at the TD. cats will be easy, lions will be easy at tassie..the poos will come out and play with us, might be some reports and just hope we dont loose any one for too long.

so the poos, the crows, the swans and the saints will cause us grief, but the others will be a cake walk.....

Only 1 interstate trip in those games and if we keep our key players on the park we will win more than we lose which will set us up for the all important top 2 finish. Not finishing in the top 2 from here would be extremely disappointing

given that we would be on 10 wins (or more) heading into these games we only 'need' to win 4 - i'd pencil in 3 of those and 50/50 the rest. 14 wins minimum. at the end of this run is about the time the conditioning of the players for the finals becomes a factor where they will be given a flogging to get them ready for september. our last 3 games are ok too, so i'd say 16 games minimum - top 2.

well. crows = tough. swans = win, because we're at home. everyone else except cats and pies we should beat.

once hodgey and guerra etc get back in, we're great favourites for the flag.

lets focus on this week! dogs are going to be tough!

The way things are going we may well have stitched up a top three spot by Round 16. Russell has a history of training them dead with a view to peaking in September.

Given this to happen Brissy and Pies could be losses.

One game at Docklands, a heap at the G. I like it.

6 wins, two (self managed) losses.

Whatever the case this is when we find out how good we really are.
Despite our wonderful start to the season, I still think it's too early for us to be $3 for the flag.
Swans, Crows away, and Cats are the games I'm really looking fwd to, just so that I can assess whether we are a real contender for the holy grail.
Most fans who began looking fwd last season would have picked 09 as the year we might be ready/ripe. Our bright start has many reassessing and hoping/thinking that it could come this year.
I'm holding off until I see what happens in those 3 games listed above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans, Crows away, and Cats are the games I'm really looking fwd to, just so that I can assess whether we are a real contender for the holy grail.

I agree with this, in particular, the Swans (anywhere) and Adelaide in Adel have been 2 sides that have smashed us over the years.

When we lost to the Crows in the preseason, Clarko made special note that we hadn't beaten them in Adel since the early/ mid 90's and that the club was really looking forward to having another opportunity at breaking that duck in June. I would expect to see them set themselves for that game.

Sydney, smashed us last year in R22 when it mattered most (top 4 up for grabs), will be interesting to see how we respond to playing their infamous game style - as it really really troubled us twice last year.

And the Cats, the reigning champs, the bench mark, but also our bunnies - let's hope it stays that way! :D

The game I fear most of that run is actually R18 Collingwood. With all the hype, focus and finals like build up to the R17 Cats game, there is a big chance that the boys could have a let down the week after. I'm sure the coaching staff will address that however, but something I will be watching to see how they back up from such an aniticipated match.

We should be aiming to win at least 6 of those games. 5 is acceptable but anything less would be a disappointment. Lets just be honest we are on top of the ladder and are clear a top 4 side this year. Time to start backing ourselves to win most of the tough 50/50 matches as we have done so far all year.

Roos always give us trouble,especially now after the Pratt saga.
Swans, who knows?
Crows will be hard.

Pencil in a win for Pies,we have their number now.
Cats haven't beaten us in 5 years,no trouble.
Eagles,Saints & Bris all wins.

Possibly 8-0 but more like 6-2 probably.

I can't believe the negativity on the board, compared to most clubs are middle saason run is a cakewalk.

We should account for Essendon, West Coast, St Kilda (who have been horrible this season) and North.

The games against the Bulldogs, Adelaide (although we did beat them by 8 goals), Collingwood (although we did beat them by 12 goals a fortnight ago) and Brisbane (beat them at the GABBA) are all 60/40 in our favour or 50-50

Fact is, we're the best team in the competition at the moment and we're playing 2 Bottom 4 sides, 1 side playing horrible football and 4 sides we've already beaten comfortably so far this season.

Mark me down for 6-2 with 2 hiccups (vs. Bulldogs/Sydney, Adelaide) along the way, possibly 3 if we get the wobbles.

Realistically, given our run home, a top 2 birth (if not the minor premiership) is there for the taking. After Brisbane we have the easiest run home of the sides vying for top 4 positions (Richmond, West Coast, Carlton)

How will we fare at the end of it?

vs Adelaide (AAMI)
vs Roos (MCG)
vs West Coast (MCG)
vs Swans (MCG)
vs Saints (TD)
vs Geelong (MCG)
vs Collinngwood (MCG)
vs Lions (Aurora)

Strange that you've selected 12-19 - what's the reason for this subset?

Adeliade, Roos, WCE and Sydney:
3 of our 2007 bogey sides.

If we win all 4 put us down as premiers. I'd say we'll definitely lose 1 of these, likely lose 2. Which ones im not sure, in order of confidence is how I see these four:
WCE - poorly performed YTD and in Melbourne they'll struggle.

North - up and down. JUST scraping in a couple of wins which makes them look better than they really are.

Sydney - out of their comfort zone, but they've beaten us 6 times in a row. Can't tell yet if they're a SERIOUS contender or a 6-12th team.

Adelaide - Tough game on their turf. They'll want to atone for round 4 where they never got going and we stopped McLeod Edwards AND Goodwin, that won't happen twice in a row.

The next month is harder to tell because formlines will have changed by then, but as it stands here's my 'confidence ladder' for that month:

Saints - just not up to it this year. Can't get the forward structure right, 2 perennially injured ruckmen. Too much left to too few.

Pies - we just beat them by 10 goals. YES I know they beat Geelong but we match up on them well because they don't tag Mitchell.

Lions - Not quite convinced about this side. I'm sure they'll hit some form by this round, but down in York park we'll do alright I think.

Geelong - Still our biggest threat. One game doesn't make a season. They might drop their bundle before then, but I wouldn't count on it.

OVERALL:
I think every one of these games is winnable, especially if we address our poor starts. Injuries may test us in the first month. We won't win them all (dammit), we won't go 17-0!

Lack of travel over these 8 games is awesome after our frequent flyer start. It's good, especially for the young guys in Kennedy and Morton....

My guess is 5-3.

How will we fare at the end of it?

vs Adelaide (AAMI)
vs Roos (MCG)
vs West Coast (MCG)
vs Swans (MCG)
vs Saints (TD)
vs Geelong (MCG)
vs Collinngwood (MCG)
vs Lions (Aurora)

Big 8 weeks and a real acid test. Reckon 5-3 would be acceptable. Crows, Roos, Swans are bogey sides, Geelong are best side in comp, Collingwood and Brisbane are challengers. Should show us where we are at i would think. Quite possible we could be 11-0 or 10-1 by then. If we can rack up 16 wins for the year, will put us in a very strong position for GF push.

vs Adelaide (AAMI)
vs Roos (MCG)
vs West Coast (MCG)
vs Swans (MCG)
vs Saints (TD)
vs Geelong (MCG)
vs Collinngwood (MCG)
vs Lions (Aurora)

Adelaide & Sydney sick of losing to!Saints Roos & Westcoast we should account for it will be interesting to see how we go in the last 3 all against quality opposition! would be happy with 5-3 so how many wins for a top 2 spot. 15 16?

Games with toughness ratings:

vs Adelaide (AAMI) - 8/10 - good team at their home where we have struggled in the past
vs Roos (MCG) - 7/10 - always makes us work for it
vs West Coast (MCG) - 4/10 - have to be confident this year against them away from home
vs Swans (MCG) - 6/10 - they're tough, but I reckon we're tougher
vs Saints (TD) - 6/10 - we're definately better, but if they click, or if we play like rubbish, they could win
vs Geelong (MCG) - 9/10 - SHOWDOWN!!! Bring it on.
vs Collinngwood (MCG) - 7/10 - like the roos generally tough to beat (except earlier this year)
vs Lions (Aurora) - 6/10 - They played about as well as they could have against us at their home, so we should win

5 wins would be about par. Anything more than that would be good, any less would be poor but not devastating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 12 - Round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Back