Toast Round 13 = Collingwood 89-51 Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I think what we gained with Kreuger forward more than offset the 5 mins a quarter Cox plays in the ruck.
I’m not saying Freddy replaces Cox I’m saying We play 2 rucks. We have the whole time with fly except during injuries. DC and Cox swap off the bench like before. It’s been a good tactical advantage for us. When DC has been bad Cox steps up like in the Finals series. We don’t beat Brisbane without Cox out pointing the big O.

I think they like the better contest in the ruck, but there will be more options after the bye when Checkers is back. A lot may depend on whether Krueger can back that up. And Howe's form the last two games in Billy's role poses another question. I think he's got his mojo back.
frampton playing second ruck with Gawn being in such form made sense. But I’d like to see how Freddy goes giving a ruck chop out, Cox wasn’t in great form prior to injury and it would be good to see if Freddy provides an option.

If we look at the stats, think we've been a bit hard on Schultz. He has 1 less goal than Bobby for the year and has played 1 less game.

That said, Bobby's form has been a bit disappointing. Many credits in the bank, but has largely not had the impact ball in hand this year, missing goals and targets. Small forward is a fickle role, so as long as players, especially those known to be quality, are putting in the effort you stick with them.

Definitely can't doubt the effort from Schultz, he's been great defensively, and lately, competing in the air.
Comparing the two, Schultz has held his own. Two of his inbound passes were wayward and costly. I hope Bobby is just saving his best for the finals.

frampton playing second ruck with Gawn being in such form made sense. But I’d like to see how Freddy goes giving a ruck chop out, Cox wasn’t in great form prior to injury and it would be good to see if Freddy provides an option.
I think we'll go with Frampton as second ruck again next week. No idea what we'll do after the bye.

I think they like the better contest in the ruck, but there will be more options after the bye when Checkers is back. A lot may depend on whether Krueger can back that up. And Howe's form the last two games in Billy's role poses another question. I think he's got his mojo back.
Howe was great. Could tell his confidence was up with the attempted hangers, then sticking one. Dean's form is another factor, though more comfortable with Frampton on the taller forwards.

Krueger will be the interesting one. If (and it's a large one) he stays fit he's going to be tough to keep out. The goals won't always come like today (could easily have had 5), but he's a big goal threat, much more than Cox or Frampton. Question will be, do we accept a lesser second ruck for more damaging forward play? And then, whether Krueger can handle the dual role, not many can do it well.

Speculation for now, based on one game, but Krueger has his chance at least until Mihocek, and maybe Cox, return.

Again would like to make people aware of SEN Sync. Dwayne and Whateley made the viewing experience bliss compared to those campaigners. Its amazing how Dwayne in particular tones down the puns on radio
Well aware of sen sync.
But appreciate the community announcement!!

Just wanted to vent!!!!! :)

I’m not saying Freddy replaces Cox I’m saying We play 2 rucks. We have the whole time with fly except during injuries. DC and Cox swap off the bench like before. It’s been a good tactical advantage for us. When DC has been bad Cox steps up like in the Finals series. We don’t beat Brisbane without Cox out pointing the big O.
Can definitely do this. Krueger taking the McStay role. Mihocek, Cox, Krueger all playing forward.

Then when McStay is available, a decision needs to be made.

Howe was great. Could tell his confidence was up with the attempted hangers, then sticking one. Dean's form is another factor, though more comfortable with Frampton on the taller forwards.

Krueger will be the interesting one. If (and it's a large one) he stays fit he's going to be tough to keep out. The goals won't always come like today (could easily have had 5), but he's a big goal threat, much more than Cox or Frampton. Question will be, do we accept a lesser second ruck for more damaging forward play? And then, whether Krueger can handle the dual role, not many can do it well.

Speculation for now, based on one game, but Krueger has his chance at least until Mihocek, and maybe Cox, return.
I'd like them to try Frampton as ruck from defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A great win, but we were fortunate at times, could have been much closer. Had a lot of things go our way. Dees missing goals, or having them overturned, our players intervening at just the right moment defensively, then at our end we had several flukey goals.

This is contributed to by pressure and team defence, most of their shots came from wide, but in the first quarter especially it went further than that. We were being outplayed but nothing went right for the Dees.

We eventually turned it around and got well on top. The Petracca injury clearly helped but will take that as some overdue karma given our injury list.
Yea…….nah

Shoulda Woulda Coulda
Didn’t
He is a registered Collingwood hater (Hodge). Most times I do not understand his mubbling comments on tv. I tend to switch off when he appears. It would have killed him knowning that Collingwood was missing, Pendlebury, DeGoey, Elliot, Mitchell, Mihocek, Cox, McStay, Reef Mclnnes (8) and I will even throw in Murphy.

Undermanned and had our best win of the season against a full-strength Melbourne team on King's Birthday. The cavalry is back in the next few weeks. Missed Pendles, Elliott, Cox, McStay, De Goey and Mitchell this afternoon.

From their best 22 they're missing Lever, Spargo, Hunter and arguably Melksham so not completely "full-strength". Like Murphy for us though, the absence of Brayshaw and Smith can't be underestimated.

Fly's presser

Last week after the Dogs loss you said you would learn a lot about this group in terms of being able to respond and they did today.
"Yeah, I'm really proud of the coaches and I just said that to the players how they put in front of the group early in the week what we needed to do. We had a 10-day break, which is huge at this time of the year to get some energy around some things. Our coaches set this game up really well. Most of the things we planned for we got in terms of from the opposition around clearances and other parts of the game that we knew we had to be on for. In particularly, Hayden Skipworth is incredible for our young players. We've got a young midfield against some really hardened players. I know Petracca being out hurts a lot for them, but Gawn, Oliver and Viney are exceptional midfield players and we beat them in that area today which is really hard to do. I'm just really proud of our coaches today".
Do you feel the team has taken another step forward in their growth after Nick Daicos' influence was nullified today?
"You have method and you have system and you hope the talent takes you above those things and Nick [Daicos] has taken us to new levels at centre bounces and other parts. He got tagged heavily and then got a corky in his shin so he'll be fine. It's up to others to step up. Jack Crisp has had an amazing month amongst others".
Is Nick Daicos in doubt for the North Melbourne match?
"I wouldn't have thought so, no. If I'm listening to his words, he said 'I'll be fine'".
Brayden Maynard played a very good game particularly after all the fallout from last year's final and the emotion around that. What did you speak to him and the group about going into this match?
"Just being really grateful for what we have here. An opportunity to play on this day. It's a bigger meaning for some. He's had a lot going on this week. I won't share the details of it, but off the field it's been really hard for him so I'm sure he wanted to put on a good performance for the stuff that's been happening outside here. He's a proud man and he played exceptionally well, and we love him".
When you say stuff going on off-field, what do you mean?
"I'll leave it. It's unfortunate what's happened in his private life, but I'll leave it at that".
With his on-field, did you have to discuss with Maynard in terms of controlling his aggression because you would have expected the crowd and the opposition to come at him?
"Yeah, and that's what we want the whole group to be. We knew that there'd be a response. They're [Melbourne] a proud group. I know watching them from afar, you go 'jeez, I'm worried by what's coming'. You just knew there would be a response. All week, I didn't want to overplay it but we had to be ready for what's coming. On a rebound, go back to their DNA, around contest and those parts. I'm proud of us for staying in that moment and to absorb it and to accept what was coming and then to still play our way. It was a real pleasing start. You need to start well against a team that wants to come out breathing fire".
Do you think the crowd reaction was over the top? He was copping boos pretty much the whole game?
"I thought they were cheers, mate. I only heard cheers".
You say your a system-based team, but how much better is the system when you have a target like Nathan Kreuger?
"It was important wasn't it. It was a really big game for him. He hasn't played much footy Kreugs in the last...it's been over 400 days since he played last but he hasn't played much footy. He's been in and out. No continuity and I know one thing you'll get from Kreugs is effort and we were really pleased with that. We had good system going forward. I think we had 8 or 9 individual goal kickers. We've kicked 14 goals, and we've been averaging about 12 [goals] so parts of our system looked well connected I thought. Going inside 50 when we were slowed up, we scored well from those phases. Kreugs played his role really well".
So many times when the game was in the balance, Melbourne would successfully find a Collingwood player in the clear with a turnover pass. How much of that is your system, discipline and pressure and how much of that is playing a team low on confidence?
"It's hard to measure that. We can only look at what we're trying to do. You can see there was a real energy for them to go through the corridor so we tried to coach around 'field the corridor.' When you get a little bit behind on the scoreboard and we're a little bit the same, it's 'let's take more risk'. With risk comes opportunity to turnover if we're ready for those things. I go back to my opening comments about what the coaches had set up for the players we knew this would come at some stage with the way they wanted to move the ball so we trained it all week and there it is and at three quarter time it's 'hey hey, here it comes again, be ready'. It's hard to measure".
Can you let us into the "three little pigs" theme?
"Haha, how did you get that? If you're going to come huff and puff and try to blow your house down. That was it. Three little pigs. We just wanted to make sure our house was made of bricks today and we went to work not on what Melbourne were going to do, it was about how we would protect our house and keep it in order".
Harvey Harrison looks like he took another step forward in his development?
"Yeah, he's finding AFL footy fun at the moment and he's living in that in his 11th game. He didn't perform at the level he has been last week, and he's a proud guy as well. He gets to work and he's an important player isn't he at the minute? Kicking goals for us".
Steele Sidebottom had another solid performance. He really enjoyed the occasion.
"Yeah, I'm not sure if I've ever seen Steele get off the ground like that. He couldn't quite kick the goal from outside 50. We're pleased for Steele who's been working hard in his craft. We still think there's a little bit of life in those legs".
How symbolic was it that Jack Crisp frequently went up against Clayton Oliver and put him under pressure and had him do undisciplined things at times?
"Crispy is one of the best defensive players in the comp right now. His pressure around the ball has been enormous. His running on top of the ground and breaking out at centre bounces. He's at the height of his game. He had a slow start to the season. No coincidence that our team has started to play a bit better because of his performances".
The impact of Jeremy Howe especially in the first five minutes with that amazing smother on Bayley Fritsch when Melbourne had two free players, which then led to a Collingwood goal.
"I thought for as good as we were, they [Melbourne] didn't take their chances early. I don't want to undersell that we had everything on our own plate today, but there were some missed opportunities early in the game that could have tipped the scoreboard in a different way so we had to fight through that. There's a patch in the second quarter where they [Melbourne] dominated territory and we held our nerve and didn't get scored against, and we then got a couple late which helped us. The scoreboard might not be a true reflection of how tight it was at times".
The impact of Jeremy Howe seemed to be integral. How did you see it?
"He was super today. We're looking at our forward line and going 'can we get Howie forward', but then there's a cost down back. I thought it was one of his best games of the year for sure".
In your mind, what is the Collingwood house. What is that structure made of?
"We went to work on our system, our defensive system. How we defend the ground. How we set up certain phases of the game. We look at contest and the balance around those things and then some of our DNA stuff is attached to that. Nothing extraordinary".
You've got a well-documented long injury list, how pleased are you with your team to be able to withstand it and thrive on it?
"Today was a significant outcome. We've been working towards swimming against the current and I've said that before with our injury list. There's no one coming back next week. This same group has had opportunities. We've been fighting. Maybe not quite good enough here and there in the last few games, but today was a better four quarter performance from some of those younger guys and our senior guys kept the glue together a little bit more. It's been a tough period for us. We're getting through it and it's nice to get some nourishment today which we didn't get last week".

Kreugs whilst not breaking anything or anybody still managed to provide a moment of comedy genius. Not sure if many people noticed him standing on the mark facing the wrong way….and then unable to correct himself because of the stand rule 😂😂😂
😅

Also decided to try 3rd man up in the ruck contest. It’s not 2016 Kreugs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 13 = Collingwood 89-51 Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back