Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Round 13 Preview – Friday 7 June 7:40pm AEST

Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions

I had pre-written a lot of this preview before Friday night, and was planning to start by discussing how both the Lions and Dogs were the same teams this year: massive underperformers despite still having some great fundamental underlying stats. A lot of advanced metrics prior to round 11 had the Dogs and us as the best two teams after Sydney, despite the win-loss record.

1717290668711.png

…and then the Dogs had to go and have their most impressive win of the season, beating Collingwood by 3 goals and ruining the whole comparison I had written out.

I have to hand it to the crafty pies though for giving up a couple of late goals to ensure that they maintained their incredible close game record. The Pies just know how to avoid losing the close games by conceding late goals!

Injury lists – Aside from the four out for the season, based on the week 11 injury list Starce might be a chance to come back, while Will Ashcroft is still 6 weeks away.

For the Dogs, Weightman and Naughton are a month away, and Harmes and Vandemeer suffered apparent hamstring injuries in the win against the Pies. Darcy is a likely out due to a 2 week suspension, but there is a chance that Ed Richards and Liberatore are back from concussions. Rhylee West was given a one week ban but I wouldn’t be surprised if he challenges that.

Last time we met – Round 3 2023 - Bulldogs 10.7 (57) dftd Lions 7.11 (53).

The dogs held us off all night and kicked away late and won thanks to five goals from Jamarra Ugle-Hagan. Our ball movement was dour, and our key forwards disappointing as we slumped to a 1-2 record. Funnily enough, it was probably Gunston’s best outing for us if we appropriately ignore the West Coast game.

Highlights

SeasonRndHome TeamAway TeamGroundDate
2024R13Western BulldogsvBrisbane LionsMarvel StadiumJun 7 (Fri 7:40pm)
2023R3Western Bulldogs1.24.38.410.7(67)dftdBrisbane Lions1.32.76.87.11(53)Marvel StadiumMar 30 (Thu 7:20pm)
2022R16Brisbane Lions1.56.912.1116.12(108)dftdWestern Bulldogs2.55.77.99.13(67)GabbaJun 30 (Thu 7:20pm)
2021SFBrisbane Lions5.36.59.911.12(78)lost toWestern Bulldogs3.46.67.1111.13(79)GabbaSep 4 (Sat 7:20pm)
2021R4Western Bulldogs3.37.69.1010.13(73)dftdBrisbane Lions2.13.46.68.6(54)Mars StadiumApr 10 (Sat 1:45pm)

Form wise we have really struggled against the Dogs away. We’ve never beaten them away from the Gabba under Fages, and our last victory in Melbourne against them was in 2014.

Where are the Dogs at?

Sitting at 6-6 with wins against the Suns, Saints, Eagles, Tigers, Giants and Pies, they are the typical Luke Beveridge Dogs team. When healthy they are blessed with great talent up forward and in the middle, with Bont still to me the best player in the competition and capable deputies along side him. The second best percentage in the comp indicates that they are capable of better than a 6-6 record.

Bevo’s been playing selection games this year that have annoyed people on twitter who talk about fantasy football in their bios, but I’ve generally been on his side. Sanders was a young player learning his craft so subbing him out and dropping him was ok – despite it frustrating people who spend too much time paying attention to kick and handball counts. McRae is a good accumulator, but was never athletic so with Treloar being fit pretty much all year and Richards showing he can contribute in the midfield, his opportunities have been more limited though he’s back in the team currently.

The treatment of Bailey Dale was a bit weirder, given that their defence is the weakest part of the team. He’s back now and playing good football. Down back, they can be suspect when they don’t take intercept marks, having very low numbers in some of their losses.

Where are we at? What is our Brand? What do we stand for? When will woke Fages stop the PC Press Conferences? Does David King repeat himself all the time?

Yes:

Where are we at? Nowhere good. Last year I was watching games and posting in the stats thread regularly to try dissect whether the tweaks to our gameplan would take us over the edge. And for most of the year I wasn’t quite sure we had it, until finals when it was nearly enough.

I guess the thing that is stumping me is where has the drop off come from – and outside of the forward line which I’ll get to in a bit, it is not super obvious where the problem is. In fact, on a lot of key statistical metrics that previous premiers performed well in, we are more than good enough:

1717290806833.png

1717290828325.png

Beyond individual player form and selection, which I'm sure will be hotly debated in the comments, to me our biggest issue has been our biggest strength for years – our forward connection and converting inside 50s into shots, and then converting those shots. We are #1 for inside 50 differential by quite a bit but 10th for scores per inside 50 at 42%. Last year we were second at 45% - so the drop off is significant, but ultimately isn’t crazy.

The biggest issue by fire is shot conversion. If the whole competition had scored according statistical averages based on shot location, we’d be having a very different conversation about this team:

1717290845153.png

Unfortunately, conversion is a skill and our best forwards are all among the worst in the competition. I don’t think it is an insurmountable problem to fix over the medium term, as we rebounded from dreadful conversion to being one of the best teams in 2021-222.

Improving our ball movement and the speed of ball movement would go a long way to getting higher quality shots too.

Selection and Gameplan - Hipwood in for Ryan is an absolute certainty. The big one to be debated will be whether Rayner gets dropped. I think the bye might have saved him and he’ll be given a week or two before match committee faces the music and drops him. I’d probably avoid bringing Starce back if there is any doubt as Answerth has been perfectly fine.

Gameplan wise Bont has consistently killed us and I expect we’ll send Dunkley or Berry to him. I know Berry has been playing better as an inside mid, but I actually don’t love the balance when both him and Dunkley are in there – it leaves two players who I think are more focused on their opponent than hunting the footy, and it did nothing to actually mitigate the Hawks’ clearances last week.

There’s an opportunity with so many of their best forwards out to lock down on Ugle‑Hagan. I expect Lobb to try tag Harris and we might rotate Payne onto him to ensure Harris has a match up he doesn’t have to worry about.

If we can get supply forward and our forwards can kick straight we have a chance. But I’m not counting on it.

Tip: Hard to see us beating the dogs in our current form even with all their outs. Bont has dealt with us comfortably before and I don’t think we have an answer. If libba is back and is anything like himself, their midfield will have too many options and they’ll get enough ball forward that they’ll score more than us. I don’t think we’ll be thrashed like we were by GWS, but a close but comfortable win for the Dogs seems likely to me.

Dogs by 3 goals

Watching Port and West Coast play Reid and JHF on the ball consistently - through form and lapses - is exactly what I wish we'd do with Rayner. We could give him 4-6 weeks (until Croft returns) to give it a shot. It could fail miserably. It could exceed expectations. Point being, we need to find out if he's up to it.

His set of skills were exactly what we were missing v the Hawks. Neale can't do it all on his own. Let Hugh spend more time on the wing/using the ball on the outside and give Cam his minutes. Let him sink or swim.

Watching Port and West Coast play Reid and JHF on the ball consistently - through form and lapses - is exactly what I wish we'd do with Rayner. We could give him 4-6 weeks (until Croft returns) to give it a shot. It could fail miserably. It could exceed expectations. Point being, we need to find out if he's up to it.

His set of skills were exactly what we were missing v the Hawks. Neale can't do it all on his own. Let Hugh spend more time on the wing/using the ball on the outside and give Cam his minutes. Let him sink or swim.

Maybe it was seeing it in action live but I'm officially out on Bez and Dunkley attending the same centre bounce. No issue with rotating Bez in more than the first 8 weeks of the year, but it leaves two guys who really aren't hunting the ball there and puts all the onus on Neale to actually win the footy.

Too defensive in outlook and when they do get the ball, neither of them actually hurt going the other way through ball use or leg drive.

Maybe it was seeing it in action live but I'm officially out on Bez and Dunkley attending the same centre bounce. No issue with rotating Bez in more than the first 8 weeks of the year, but it leaves two guys who really aren't hunting the ball there and puts all the onus on Neale to actually win the footy.

Too defensive in outlook and when they do get the ball, neither of them actually hurt going the other way through ball use or leg drive.

I tend to agree. Dunks and Bez should rotate with Rayner up forward so we've always got Neale, one of Dunks and Berry and Rayner on the ball. If we need to tighten up at times, we can always rotate our defensive guys onto the ball and create lots of stoppages.

Maybe we could instruct Berry to hunt the ball and get it to an outside player?

Our missed shots on goal by experienced players really has been a team momentum killer in games.
Hopefully it will turn around. Simply put to make the 8 or win more games than we lose it will have to.
This year with our 3 leading goal kickers it is 50/50 that they likely miss, whereas last year they likely kicked the goal.
Daniher: This year 20.21 Last year 61.37
Cameron: this year 18.16 Last year 59.27
Hippy: This year 11.10 Last year 41.29
We are halfway through the season so likely all three will fall well short of their 2023 tally.
Zac bailey was our 4th biggest goal scorer in 2023 but he has only played in 6 games and missed 5.
At least his accuracy has been good.
Bailey: This year 7.2 last year 29.19

Lohmann sits 3rd on our goal scoring this year at present with 14.10.
He is making up for the absence of McCarthy and Bailey to some extent even though he has played all 11 games the first 3 being as sub.

Just adding to my Rayner has had 80 CBAs for the year. JHF has had around 140 and Reid has over 200. One isn't fitter than Cam while the other is - at best - has a slightly better tank. The difference is they're being given ample opportunities to grow and develop in the midfield.

Great preview Thomas

I too wish they would just play Rayner in the middle for the remainder of the season. I’ll cop the mistakes he makes because the eventual upside could be good.

Great preview Thomas

I too wish they would just play Rayner in the middle for the remainder of the season. I’ll cop the mistakes he makes because the eventual upside could be good.

Rayner ranks elite for clearances as a half forward. In comparison, Dylan Moore (probably AA squad level half forward who spends a lot of time around stoppages) averages almost one less clearance a game. Moore does beat him in other half forward stats, but not by a hell of a lot. Given this is Rayners worst position (based off exposed form), it's quite promising when comparing.

He's a role player in this position - let's give him the opportunity to be more!

Rayner ranks elite for clearances as a half forward. In comparison, Dylan Moore (probably AA squad level half forward who spends a lot of time around stoppages) averages almost one less clearance a game. Moore does beat him in other half forward stats, but not by a hell of a lot. Given this is Rayners worst position (based off exposed form), it's quite promising when comparing.

He's a role player in this position - let's give him the opportunity to be more!

Times ticking because I’ve made promises to support the suns which are binding. Farewell nuney.

I don't care much if Rayner gets more midfield time or not.
Just remember that Neale and Dunkleys time in the middle won't change.
That will mean less time for McCluggage, Berry and Bailey to a lesser extent.
Then when Ashcroft returns the dynamics could change greatly again.

Personally, i would rather see how Fletcher, Lohmann and Reville if he finds his way into the team go with stints in the middle.
However, while we are still a chance of making the 8, that probably won't happen.
Rayner may help a little with clearances and some good burst out of stoppages but overall, he won't help our outside run.

I don't care much if Rayner gets more midfield time or not.
Just remember that Neale and Dunkleys time in the middle won't change.
That will mean less time for McCluggage, Berry and Bailey to a lesser extent.
Then when Ashcroft returns the dynamics could change greatly again.

Personally, i would rather see how Fletcher, Lohmann and Reville if he finds his way into the team go with stints in the middle.
However, while we are still a chance of making the 8, that probably won't happen.
Rayner may help a little with clearances and some good burst out of stoppages but overall, he won't help our outside run.

Dunks midfield time could absolutely change. He is a strong forward. Could rotate he and Rayner even when Ashcroft is back.

1) Neale, Dunkley, Ashcroft
2) Neale, Rayner, Ashcroft
3) Berry, Bailey, Dunkley

Good balance in the above, and that's not including McCluggage if he's playing wing and not starting in the centre.

Dunks midfield time could absolutely change. He is a strong forward. Could rotate he and Rayner even when Ashcroft is back.

1) Neale, Dunkley, Ashcroft
2) Neale, Rayner, Ashcroft
3) Berry, Bailey, Dunkley

Good balance in the above, and that's not including McCluggage if he's playing wing and not starting in the centre.
My reply was about some posters wanting Rayner with more midfield time.
You did not mention Rayner above, can i assume he fits in as the 4th midfielder on your list sharing with Dunkley.
I would be very happy if McCluggage goes back to the wing but can't see that happening.
I think one of the reasons Dunkley left the Dogs was not getting enough midfield time, sometimes none at all.
He was playing forward a lot with Beveridge especially his last year. He is a capable forward but no better than some we have.

I doubt we risk upsetting a player that is doing his job well, to accommodate Rayner a lot on here want dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be very happy if McCluggage goes back to the wing but can't see that happening.
I think one of the reasons Dunkley left the Dogs was not getting enough midfield time, sometimes none at all.
He was playing forward a lot with Beveridge especially his last year. He is a capable forward but no better than some we have.

I doubt we risk upsetting a player that is doing his job well, to accommodate Rayner a lot on here want dropped.
I just don’t understand why players aren’t played in positions that enable their strengths to flourish not trying to make players something they’re not.

And Nunez, who you replied to, has been leading the Rayner needs more midfield time in the last two pages (and all year).
You did not mention Rayner above, can i assume he fits in as the 4th midfielder on your list sharing with Dunkley.
He mentioned Rayner in the first sentence, to rotate with Dunkley between mid and forward. Then mentions Rayner as part of the second midfield rotation.
Dunkley won the Bulldogs best and fairest the year he left, playing predominantly forward, and was more damaging that year as a forward than Rayner has ever shown.

But you are correct that he expressed a desire to play more midfield.

And Nunez, who you replied to, has been leading the Rayner needs more midfield time in the last two pages (and all year).

He mentioned Rayner in the first sentence, to rotate with Dunkley between mid and forward. Then mentions Rayner as part of the second midfield rotation.

Dunkley won the Bulldogs best and fairest the year he left, playing predominantly forward, and was more damaging that year as a forward than Rayner has ever shown.

But you are correct that he expressed a desire to play more midfield.
A reply from Nunez would have been better.

(1) I know this, and he is not the only poster, that's why i used the words "some posters"

(2) I also know this, but he did not mention Rayner in his 3 examples of who plays midfield just 3 choices no Rayner.
I even said "can i assume he fits in as the 4th midfielder on your list sharing with Dunkley."
Thats my assumption not what Nunez has indicated in his post with those 3 examples

So i will assume something again using his 3 examples
1) Neale, Dunkley, Ashcroft.....Rayner
2) Neale, Rayner, Ashcroft.......Dunkley
3) Berry, Bailey, Dunkley.........Neale, Ashcroft & Rayner

Of course, Ashcroft won't be available for another 5 weeks

(3) I don't care if he won their B & F, he wanted out the previous year because of less midfield time.
So, Beverage knowing he was leaving just stuck him forward. He is a good player so winning the B & F was not a huge surprise. What it did show was good character for a player stuck forward by his coach.
2022: Dunkley kicked 18.11 in his B & F year
2022: Rayner kicked 24.21 after a year out with an ACL.
And yes, i know kicking goals is not everything a forward is required to do but goal scoring is very high on the list.

(4) Obviously i agree.

A reply from Nunez would have been better.

(1) I know this, and he is not the only poster, that's why i used the words "some posters"

(2) I also know this, but he did not mention Rayner in his 3 examples of who plays midfield just 3 choices no Rayner.
I have no idea what you are reading. Rayner is clearly mentioned in his second example. 2) Neale, Rayner, Ashcroft.
I even said "can i assume he fits in as the 4th midfielder on your list sharing with Dunkley."
Thats my assumption not what Nunez has indicated in his post with those 3 examples

So i will assume something again using his 3 examples
1) Neale, Dunkley, Ashcroft.....Rayner
2) Neale, Rayner, Ashcroft.......Dunkley
3) Berry, Bailey, Dunkley.........Neale, Ashcroft & Rayner
I think you and I are reading the bolded different. I read that as the different midfield rotation units we would use in a game. 1) starting midfield. 2) first midfield rotation. 3) second midfield rotation.
Of course, Ashcroft won't be available for another 5 weeks

(3) I don't care if he won their B & F, he wanted out the previous year because of less midfield time.
So, Beverage knowing he was leaving just stuck him forward. He is a good player so winning the B & F was not a huge surprise. What it did show was good character for a player stuck forward by his coach.
2022: Dunkley kicked 18.11 in his B & F year
2022: Rayner kicked 24.21 after a year out with an ACL.
And yes, i know kicking goals is not everything a forward is required to do but goal scoring is very high on the list.

(4) Obviously i agree.

I have no idea what you are reading. Rayner is clearly mentioned in his second example. 2) Neale, Rayner, Ashcroft.

I think you and I are reading the bolded different. I read that as the different midfield rotation units we would use in a game. 1) starting midfield. 2) first midfield rotation. 3) second midfield rotation.
Yes, i missed Rayner in one of the examples. Example 2.

You could be correct in me misunderstanding the examples are 1st, 2nd & 3rd midfield rotations in the one game.
If that's the case Rayner, Berry & Bailey look like they are getting equal time.

Until Nunez replies i am still in the dark. Nunez giving you a like to your reply does not help clearing it up for me.

Also, there is before Ashcroft's return and after his return. It is not like Ashcroft is back next week.

Spot on. Instead, give Josh more licence to hunt the ball - with Berry in there, they will work out the right balance,

These next 2 weeks are pivotal. Inb4 the 'no sh*t sherlock' comments. Win both and all of sudden we are back hovering around the 8. Lose 1 and we are done.

These next 2 weeks are pivotal. Inb4 the 'no sh*t sherlock' comments. Win both and all of sudden we are back hovering around the 8. Lose 1 and we are done.
I'm taking an optimistic view but I think we can make the finals even if we lose this week.
This is slightly hopeful but based on us winning out the rest of the year at home including beating GWS and Sydney while beating St Kilda, GC and West Coast away. Doable but unlikely. That gives us 7 wins in a row between Rounds 16 and 22. Sounds easy! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back