Game Day Round 14, 2023 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t wait to get up out of my seat and wave my scarf to NTUA, signalling the start of the Port Power Sports Hour hosted by Hinks and The Koch!

Without Stanley in to pants is like he normally does I think we can dominate the center square for a period and set up the win.

Pear by 25pts.

Maybe we can wear the original Geelong looking guernsey?

Our Magenta guernsey would look fantastic in a night game against Geelong.
Not even joking.

Port: Magenta with black shorts, black socks.
Geelong: Hoops with white shorts, hooped socks.

View attachment 1712970

Where are you on the curve?

I'm approaching I get my hopes up, a win tonight would nearly get me there. However it's still very hard to fully invest and believe. Even tonight I'm kinda confident, but I'm really not. I certainly would never put a bet on it that's for sure. Plus it's so early in the year, that we could still have the bottom fall out of our season as it has in the past, super quickly.

So anyway, carn Port! Get it done. Going to be extremely tough, especially with our terrible record in big prime time games at home. However we've been winning games that we'd regularly lose throughout this hot streak, so why not keep it rolling. Fingers crossed the streak lasts at least 1 more week. Our season could be defined by a win like this, putting us on top, and in an amazing position for the run home.

I'm still inbetween I get disappointed and I start to believe again. I'll get the belief back after the Collingwood game. We got thumped by them and everyone seems to have forgot.

I'm still inbetween I get disappointed and I start to believe again. I'll get the belief back after the Collingwood game. We got thumped by them and everyone seems to have forgot.
We're a far different team to the one we fielded in round 2 - I'm quietly confident about round 19. But let's worry about tonight first!!!

Without Stanley in to pants is like he normally does I think we can dominate the center square for a period and set up the win.

Pear by 25pts.
Their ins are under done; the last two years aside, the Cats struggle after a bye.
Look at their emergencies; I expect some late changes.

We paid pick 12, Ladhams, and a future second rounder for him and a future third rounder. It's a lot, so supporters would quite rightly want to see some results from him. Definitely far too early to write him off and it's silly to be upset that he's in the side.

But it's also okay to state that he hasn't shown much at either level so far. I want him to. We'd all love him to. He hasn't yet.

With regards to what else I would have done? At the time, I woulda kept Ladhams, our future second rounder and used our first rounder on Tyler Sonsie. He hasn't done much either, although he's done a bit more than Sinn so far.

With hindsight bias, absolutely woulda taken Mitchito Owens instead haha, but he slipped through 20 picks, so no one saw how good he was gonna be.
The objective was to un-load Ladhams, the first round swap was part of the steak knives deal to get Ladhams out of Alberton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sinn is out of form and lucky to keep getting selected, but playing an out of form Josh Sinn still makes a nice change from the days of playing an out of form Kane Mitchell or Jake Neade. At least we might actually get some long term benefit out of giving Sinn gametime.

View attachment 1712970

Where are you on the curve?

I'm approaching I get my hopes up, a win tonight would nearly get me there. However it's still very hard to fully invest and believe. Even tonight I'm kinda confident, but I'm really not. I certainly would never put a bet on it that's for sure. Plus it's so early in the year, that we could still have the bottom fall out of our season as it has in the past, super quickly.

So anyway, carn Port! Get it done. Going to be extremely tough, especially with our terrible record in big prime time games at home. However we've been winning games that we'd regularly lose throughout this hot streak, so why not keep it rolling. Fingers crossed the streak lasts at least 1 more week. Our season could be defined by a win like this, putting us on top, and in an amazing position for the run home.
I anchored myself to the bottom right of that Pyramid of Disappointment from about the 2 minute mark of the 2021 PF and didn't shift away from it. The gallows humour it allowed for made the shitful 2022 season and the first 3 weeks of this season so much easier to take, it really is the hope that kills you. Much of this comes from growing to loathe Ken Hinkley, but I know I'm not alone on that.

The longer this winning streak has gone I am finding myself moving along the bottom of the pyramid - from the surprised shrug of "Sydney lose two key defenders and lose by a puff of wind", to the weirdly frustrating last quarter of the Gather Round monsoon (after rolling over in the Showdown in the exact same position) "where the hell was that in the PBs?" thought, to beating semi-competent but not great teams like St Kilda and Essendon in games we'd have lost in prior years, to Butters pulling us over the line against Melbourne in another game we'd have blown in previous years, followed by not shitting the bed against a new coach bounce Richmond, and then a "maybe we're good again?" feeling beating the Dogs again.

None of this matters if we don't get to a Grand Final and I still absolutely loathe Ken, but the longer the streak has gone on and the chance for an unlikely top 2 finish presents itself, the more difficult I am finding it to be apathetic about our games and remove the emotion from the result, I'm going in to tonight genuinely nervous. It's the hope that kills you.

Massive game once again tonight.

I went into last week hoping they'd split the Bulldogs and Cats games, knowing that 11-3 would be a great position heading into the bye. But after winning the first it's only natural to want the second as well.

Geelong are a good team but I don't consider them to be the powerhouse they've been in previous years. Port at their best should win but anything is possible given a 3rd 6 day break in a row compared to coming off the bye fully rested.

If this team is to do damage in September they need to finish top 2. Which means in all likelihood a minimum of 17 wins will be required. Makes tonight a must win in that context.

Interesting that Chris Scott said earlier this week he expects his midfield to at the very least match Port's midfield. I think that's where the game will be won or lost. Here's hoping us fans can go into the weekend (and the bye) on a happy note.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back