Review Round 14, 2024: Box Hill Hawks v Port Melbourne, 29 June 2024, 2.05pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

We will not be getting anything close to a 2nd rounder if he leaves that is for sure. His high draft pick does not mean much anymore.
A pick shuffle akin to what we made with GC for Scrimshaw is about he best we could hope for.

FWIW - We gave up our Rd 3 for GC’s Rd 4 and Scrimshaw.

Get a deal like that done with Freo or WCE and move on.

plenty of others too, lesser lights, but still premiership players such as Beau McCreery, Jake Bowey. Elijah Hollands pretty handy too, wouldn't mind him.
despite all the BS spouted here, our top 10 selections in 2020 and 2021 have been really poor.

????
lower benchmark?
AA and possible Brownlow medallist Gulden?
Top-10 mid-fielder Holmes? (would be leading Geelong's B and F atm)
Gun forward Henry?
wow, reality check needed lol.

PS Ginnivan was a rookie, and no, I would not have taken him at pick 6, and in hindsight, not sure I would take him in front of Tyler Brockman either.

????
lower benchmark?
AA and possible Brownlow medallist Gulden?
Top-10 mid-fielder Holmes? (would be leading Geelong's B and F atm)
Gun forward Henry?
wow, reality check needed lol.

PS Ginnivan was a rookie, and no, I would not have taken him at pick 6, and in hindsight, not sure I would take him in front of Tyler Brockman either.
No one had any of those players in the top 10 revisionist fricken history.

As a matter of fact we were going to pick Holmes with our second pick but Geelong jumped in front of us on draft day and picked him and we ended up with Seamus who I still see as good player for us in the coming years

absolute BS. One of my best mates was on the board at Geelong at that time, they thought both Holmes and Henry were top 10 quality. He also mentioned Gulden as being a future gun, and would have taken him top 15 if they had a pick. Indeed Geelong placed a bid on Gulden with their second bid (32) and Sydney matched it as an academy pick.
I was with him at the Dick Witt on draft night.

Difference between the greats of the draft (Geelong) and the rest. ( including Hawks)

irrespective of that, this is not part of the argument, the statement was "cold comfort there were no stars behind DGB in the draft", a ludicrous statement.

absolute BS. One of my best mates was on the board at Geelong at that time, they thought both Holmes and Henry were top 10 quality. He also mentioned Gulden as being a future gun, and would have taken him top 15 if they had a pick. Indeed Geelong placed a bid on Gulden with their second bid (32) and Sydney matched it as an academy pick.
I was with him at the Dick Witt on draft night.

Difference between the greats of the draft (Geelong) and the rest. ( including Hawks)

So hawks couldn’t actually have drafted gulden?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stinking up the thread?
oh, you mean saying the actual truth rather than drinking the kool-aid?
ridiculous statement saying there were no good players after DGB, yet I'm stinking up the thread?? lol
equally ridiculous statement saying no-one saw Holmes/Henry/Gulden coming, I know first hand that is utter BS, and am reminded about it every time I play golf with the source.
Hawks have turned it around since those days, there is no doubt we have recruited masterfully this year ( recruited, not necessarily drafted) and we are a five goal better side with the addition of Chol/Ginnivan/d'Ambrioso, all of whom we got for very little.... awesome job there Macca, but that doesn't mean we didn't get 2020 (and I personally think 2021) horribly wrong.

stinking up the thread?
ridiculous statement saying there were no good players after DGB, yet I'm stinking up the thread?? lol
equally ridiculous statement saying no-one saw Holmes/Henry/Gulden coming, I know first hand that is utter BS, and am reminded about it every time I play golf with the source.
Hawks have turned it around since those days, there is no doubt we have recruited masterfully this year ( recruited, not necessarily drafted) and we are a five goal better side with the addition of Chol/Ginnivan/d'Ambrioso, all of whom we got for very little.... awesome job there Macca, but that doesn't mean we didn't get 2020 (and I personally think 2021) horribly wrong.
So u had a source from Geelong who didn't have a pick inside the top 20 had to sell picks to get Holmes at pick 20 something claiming that he was top 10 was this before or after the draft or was 4 years later? Never mind the other 17 teams. Also I wouldn't want to dredge Stephen wells and his drafting over the last 10 years his misses are similar in number to his hits. What he has done well is trades and free agents. What helps in that scenario is the location and land deals. Nothing against Wells he knows what he is doing but he isn't God in the draft. He bats as well as most.

stinking up the thread?
This is why you’re not apart of the decision process. DGB was the clear best option, KPD was a need and he has immense talent. Mentioning Ward/CMacs draft of 2021 is just laughable, Ward is a super talent and CMac is aswell, even at pick 20 odd.

DGB may not make it but this doesn’t make it the wrong choice, because hindsight is super easy, and the list needs and clear talent he has was there to see.

He still could make it too, so again, it’s laughable.

Cmac was a pick 26!! I don't think a top 10 pick would sway us to trade him right now. Ward, he plays in a position we're stacked in, but in time he'll show what he's made of. Seriously good player that can change the tide in mid game with brilliant bursts of high quality possessions. Just not ready yet.

This is the thread for Box Hill games not revisionist history opinions. I have been underwhelmed with Box Hill this year. Should be better than last year and are not. Today they were outworked outplayed and not tough enough against a pretty average side. Everytime a side has brought the contested heat this year they’ve not been up to it.
Only hustwaite from the afl listed players was good today. Lewis did enough on his recovery path. Stephens unfortunately is done. DGB is done he did an unforgivable thing today kicked backwards from the wing in the wet and missed the target absolutely brain dead time to move on. Ward worst game for a while jury remains out. Ryan did very little. Serong was good not sure if he is good enough for AFL but happy to give him another year or 2. Philipps similar good but not AFL. Ramsden is coming along nicely another pre season and he should play half a season in the AFL and then be a permanent fixture. Scaife is doing well needs a pre season. Mitchell was ok not pushing for a recall. Bennetts doesn’t get involved enough. Ditto BMac. JOS could be good if his body holds up but jury’s out. Wasn’t the day for tucker.
Not much to take from that a side with that many AFL listed players should have won easily but we’re comprehensively outplayed.

It was enough and I was one of his biggest fans.
Well, he has just come back from injury probably wasn't going at 100%. Conditions were horrible. Hopefully he gets the next 8 or 9 games of continuity where he gets to show what he can do.

Well, he has just come back from injury probably wasn't going at 100%. Conditions were horrible. Hopefully he gets the next 8 or 9 games of continuity where he gets to show what he can do.
I hope you are right has had a wretched run since joining but with mid depth and tight list spots can’t see how he can stay.

I hope you are right has had a wretched run since joining but with mid depth and tight list spots can’t see how he can stay.
Yeah it's an uphill battle for sure. But fate has been cruel to him and he hasn't really had a chance to show what he has got hopefully gets that chance going into the back end of this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 14, 2024: Box Hill Hawks v Port Melbourne, 29 June 2024, 2.05pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back