Toast Round 14: Carlton 48-72 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win, I love the performance of the youngsters, Brown's, Daicos, IQ they will be up and down but all of them have a crack and it paid off today. Last few weeks so many times on this board it has been "C brown or this youngster should never play again" but they just need game time and leadership from senior players which they appeared to get today.

I’m usually more gracious in victory, but get a big dog up ya Carlton ya ****s! I’m feeling buoyant, so I’m gonna do a review because I ****in can! Amazing things happen when you spread the workload and everyone plays their role. 22 1v1’s on the field, win majority of them and you’ll usually win the game. I reckon we’ve got a fair few guys who can put their hand up and say they did that without being great! My most pleasing thing from the day (other than likely ending Carlton’s finals hopes and keeping them goalless in the second half) was seeing Stephenson, Thomas and Cox all positively contribute to a great win. Their input really does make us a significantly better side.

Jack Crisp - I personally felt like he was off a beat early, seemed too casual and was doing some ordinary things. However as the game built, so did he and his run and carry never lacked.

Taylor Adams - Only has 8 touches in the first half, but was one of the big reasons why we started to motor. He’s just a work horse, never says die.

Josh Daicos - just oozes class. It’s refreshing to see someone so clean.

Isaac Quaynor - Not gonna lie, thought he was poor early. That 50 he gave was seriously dumb, Betts was getting a hold of him and he just didn’t look in the zone. BUT, to his credit, he bounced back incredibly for a young player and made an impact.

John Noble - genuinely stunned how much hate this guy gets. He’s not immune to making mistakes, but at least he has a bit of dare about him. I’m a big fan.

Jamie Elliott - loving the role he’s playing in the middle. He’s a different mover and he’s the explosive pace we’re missing out of the middle.

Scott Pendlebury - was good without being great, always has time and makes the right decision.

Tom Phillips - much maligned, rightfully so. In fairness to him, he was better today, but needs to bridge the gap between best and worst within games.

Darcy Moore - had another AA fancy down the other end of the field and the cream rose. He was immense! Don’t wanna speculate, but he seems content, confident in his body and just enjoying footy.

Brayden Maynard - Locked down, was great on Jack Martin, barely let him get a sniff. Just did his job and did it well, nothing fancy.

Tyler Brown - really liked his game. Held his own against Cripps when his time came, which was probably the most pleasing thing for me. Maybe still a touch too defensive minded when it’s time to go forward, but it’s hardly a criticism.

Brodie Grundy - I’ll fight anyone on this. He’s a victim of his own extremely high standards. People in this forum have bashed him for “taking his money and running”, take a hard look at yourselves. The bloke signed 7 years, he’s all in on this club, and he plays his heart out. Just because he’s had some moments this year where he’s been beaten or hasn’t dominated what we feel is a lesser opponent doesn’t mean he’s all of a sudden not worthy.

Chris Mayne - role player at best now. Didn’t think he was bad today, just a middle of the road guy who’s form is a bit of a barometer of how we’ll go in any given game.

Josh Thomas - has been put to the sword multiple times in this forum, and justly so. He played great today and really gives our forward line a whole new dimension when he plays like this.

Jaidyn Stephenson - I was questioning his physicality early, I was starting to worry that being dropped didn’t send a rocket up him. Well it was definitely pleasing to see him start to get dangerous again, hopefully this is a confidence builder.

Callum Brown - I’m still undecided. No doubt he’s got wheels, his one wood is pressure. I personally didn’t notice him a lot today, had a few chances to impact and made the most of them.

Will Hoskin-Elliott - I don’t wanna be a hater, but he stands out for all the wrong reasons sometimes. Poor game imo.

Jordan Roughead - probably the same analysis as most weeks. Just a no glory, no fuss full back. He looks slow off the mark sometimes but he did his job.

Brody Mihocek - playing the hardest position on the field. CHF. Another one who just did his job.

Jack Madgen - surprised he only had the ball 9 times. Makes me nervous sometimes and have had my reservations, but he’s developing.

Mason Cox - I don’t wanna go too early, but I THINK he’s starting to click. I’ve just noticed a few things about his demeanour. He’s a real confidence player, he’s clunked a few grabs and when he stood over Jones late in the game that just makes me excited.

Darcy Cameron - probably the only true disappointment of the day. Only managed 53% game time, but probably more so as a result of having no impact.

Such poise and while not as mercurial as his old man, still has enough of the Daicos magic

Not as mercurial YET but is certainly moving in the right direction. If he can be half as good as his old man we’ll have a gem. And then there’s his younger brother......

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I hope this win restarts our season.

That last quarter was the best quarter we've played since Geelong.

We were confident, we contested, we ran into space, we provided options, we used the corridor, we moved the ball quickly ... and we won the game as a result (and everything we haven't been doing in the last 2 months).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As confusing as it was It's no more confusing than you choking on your food.
Dude your watching a game of football.
The correct end to your sentence should have been "I almost spat my beer out"
Agree but I’m on call for work and may have to go at a moments notice.

tenor.gif

I like the stability of having Maynard crisp Moore 'start' in the back 50... then making these odd runs through the guts when they see what's up ahead.. bloody reading the game.. and not being held back.. and having players cover for em when they do.. do that.. that's what I have been looking for a long... long time.. it didn't look ad hoc today..
Is there a better HB line in the comp than Crisp-Moore-Maynard? Genuine quest.

Hoskin-Elliot has been a passenger recently. Give him a rest in the 2s and bring in

Out: Cameron, Mayne, WHE
In: Ruscoe, Greenwood, De Goey/Bianco/Rantall

I was okay with WHE but he had a Absolute Shocker today

That's all you've got after that win? You're a hard man to please Dave. BTW, Carlton came off a 9 day break and we ran all over them.

I felt they outplayed us in the 1st Half and then Even 3rd Qtr and we then Pulled away with Good Footy in the last Qtr

No love for Jack Magden? Wake up Collingwood supporters. Maybe if he changed his name to Mag-jic he might get a bit of love. FMD. The modern day supporter is so superficial.

Moving on to Josh Thomas. The guy has been pilloried by most on this forum but he always gives his all. After weeks of effort without much reward today it finally clicked. Can all of those who have bagged him relentlessly in the last eight weeks fall on your covid infected sword?

Excellent win without four of our best. My Carlton loving only brother and my Carlton loving father have felt my wrath tonight.

No love for Jack Magden? Wake up Collingwood supporters. Maybe if he changed his name to Mag-jic he might get a bit of love. FMD. The modern day supporter is so superficial.

Moving on to Josh Thomas. The guy has been pilloried by most on this forum but he always gives his all. After weeks of effort without much reward today it finally clicked. Can all of those who have bagged him relentlessly in the last eight weeks fall on your covid infected sword?

Excellent win without four of our best. My Carlton loving only brother and my Carlton loving father have felt my wrath tonight.
I feel like Madgen has been getting quite a lot of love around these parts over the last month.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 14: Carlton 48-72 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back