Preview Round 15 Changes - Port vs Brisbane @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor?

In less than a quarter he had a shot on goal that narrowly missed and an excellent pass inside the forward 50 for a mark.

Anyway what was the knocks on Evans in his draft year?

Logan was considered a first round pick at the start of the year as I recall but didn't have a great season. His grandfather died which he said affected him.

In the end he is a tall half back flanker with an outside game, they have to be outstanding to be picked.

I'm not sure he's ready but wish him well. Hope expectations are realistic, he is an 18 year old debuting in a high pressure game.

I've become so meh on Soldo & Sweet lol
Neither were ever good, and the fact that we used a possible top 10 pick out of desperation to effectively get Soldo and Ratugolea (while burning another former first round pick to get BZT) is an absolute indictment on all concerned.

I remember him being one of our best defenders and feeling like an absolute rock whenever the ball went near him. He then had 1 bad game in the final against brisbane when the whole team was poor and he was immediately dropped. Compare the treatment of Williams to golden boys like Mcentee and Lachie Jones and there is a stark difference.
Jones gets dropped regularly.

No idea what the go is with McEntee. Given up trying to understand it

Neither were ever good, and the fact that we used a possible top 10 pick out of desperation to effectively get Soldo and Ratugolea (while burning another former first round pick to get BZT) is an absolute indictment on all concerned.

You are like a dog with a bone about this.

What was the alternative? Not changing anything, and just bringing in kids with picks and how many ready made key defenders and ruckman can you find in the draft? The cupboard was pretty bare on the list, so we needed to bring in some players to fill these spots.

Yes Esava, BZT and soldo probably haven’t been as good as we’d hoped for but they’ve been okay and i think we would be in much deeper poo without them. They’ve all shown enough to suggest they can be decent players for us, it was probably never going to yield immediate dividends.

Clurey is average and pretty cooked, and McKenzie has been unsighted for the year so not sure what we would’ve done with the defence if we didn’t make those off season moves.

I suppose we could’ve rucked with vinsentini for the whole year and hoped he was competitive enough and never got injured.

A better meh than Lycett but prefer Visentini in TBH

I would ordinarily agree.

Dante hasn't played a game for weeks.
Needs a sanfl game or two.

I've no doubt we fed Sweet a pile of BS to get him over here so I'll give him a game or three and if he doesn't own it we start loading Dante up with game time.

Watching the Hawks game against Meek who is currently the best Ruck in the AFL Dante did a fair bit that was OK. Meek had plenty on him as far as experience and size goes. One more pre-season Dante will match the bigger guys.

Logan was considered a first round pick at the start of the year as I recall but didn't have a great season. His grandfather died which he said affected him.

In the end he is a tall half back flanker with an outside game, they have to be outstanding to be picked.

I'm not sure he's ready but wish him well. Hope expectations are realistic, he is an 18 year old debuting in a high pressure game.

Can you elaborate on the following please?

'they have to be outstanding to be picked'

I can name a few who are far from outstanding yet they have been selected in the Mid Season Draft by Port and then been gifted AFL careers by Hinkley and co.

I also wish young Evans all the best but it seems that mid season draft picks are guaranteed a game before the end of their first year. The kid appears to able to take a mark which is good.

Last edited:
I would ordinarily agree.

Dante hasn't played a game for weeks.
Needs a sanfl game or two.

I've no doubt we fed Sweet a pile of BS to get him over here so I'll give him a game or three and if he doesn't own it we start loading Dante up with game time.

Watching the Hawks game against Meek who is currently the best Ruck in the AFL Dante did a fair bit that was OK. Meek had plenty on him as far as experience and size goes. One more pre-season Dante will match the bigger guys.
The jury has to still be out as to whether Visentini will make the grade as a first choice AFL ruckman, but I believe he has the athletic ability to be worth a crack as a key outer defender, and a coach like eg Jack Cahill would have tried him in that type of role with the Maggies well before now to see if he was up to it.

Of the other two ruckmen Sweet is the more conventional type, and it hasn't been hard to see why the tiggers tended to use Soldo as a pinch hitter because he has definitely struggled in the last few weeks as the main man at Alberton.

Last edited:
Not often Ken makes four changes but after the last few weeks someone had to pay. Not sure we are a hugely better side for the changes but we could not be any worse.

• Rioli is the big in for mine as he has been our most dangerous forward this year.
  • I am OK with Sweet for Soldo as the latter didn't seem right last week, he looked slower than in his previous games.
  • Finlayson is capable of good footy but has not shown it this year hopefully a week in the SANFL will have re focused his attention.
  • Logan Evans looks OK in his highlights reel but then again they all do, hopefully this kid can buck the trend set with our previous MSDs.

We used a top ten pick on Butcher and Moore and that turned out real good.
Ya win some ya lose some.

Not often Ken makes four changes but after the last few weeks someone had to pay. Not sure we are a hugely better side for the changes but we could not be any worse.

• Rioli is the big in for mine as he has been our most dangerous forward this year.
  • I am OK with Sweet for Soldo as the latter didn't seem right last week, he looked slower than in his previous games.
  • Finlayson is capable of good footy but has not shown it this year hopefully a week in the SANFL will have re focused his attention.
  • Logan Evans looks OK in his highlights reel but then again they all do, hopefully this kid can buck the trend set with our previous MSDs.

It's like the last throes of a dying cockroach that's had half a can of mortein sprayed on it. Kenny's desperate. He knows he can't do anything to change how we play, because he's useless, he knows he's a crap motivator so can't get them to work any hardery, he knows everyone is completely burnt out and tired of his rambling BS. At this point all he's got is throwing in mass changes every week and hoping something sticks.

It also helps fit his narrative of "he ain't got da cattle to work with, look how many changes he has to make!"
If you don't know your best 22 by round 14 or whatever we are, then wtf are we doing?

It's also hilarious watching all these changes and Mac and cheese unquestionably holds his spot like he's Kevin Bartlett.

I wasn’t impressed when they selected Narkle last week, he’s just not up to it. But why the hell immediately drop him after one quarter of footy? Ken keeps proving that he’s an A grade imbecile. At least Rain Man could count cards for a profit, while this certified moron offers nothing.
Because they rotate that sub role around. They want players getting full games at SANFL level so the sub is rarely the same person week after week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's also hilarious watching all these changes and Mac and cheese unquestionably holds his spot like he's Kevin Bartlett.

He's 23 now, 24 at the start of next year and taking the spot of a first or second year recruit in a role where port are getting absolutely cooked in, pressure forward. Ball just rebounds out of the forwardline so easily for scores down the other end.

Talk about player development. It's all because of the coaches are not giving the younger players the opportunity to develop at the top level.

Would have liked Narkle to get a full game
Yeah I dint think Narkle has it but there's no point playing him as sub and then dropping him.

If your going to give him a go give him a proper go.

It isn't really giving confidence to the next guy they give a go is it.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We should have just traded for Sweet, and kept Hayes as break glass. That Soldo trade and the loss of a first round pick us going to come back to haunt us.
Yep this which I think is Schulzenfests point we could’ve got what we did without giving up a first rounder

We should have just traded for Sweet, and kept Hayes as break glass. That Soldo trade and the loss of a first round pick us going to come back to haunt us.

But ya see, Kenny had the best list he ever had last year, until he didn't, but then he just needed to fill a few gaps, which he did, but they're not good enough, because reasons.

Luckily we can always just shift the goalposts, so that making finals is the achievement for backslapping. We might be able to manage that. Maybe hand Essendon their first finals win in 20 years.

Rioli is our only gifted small forward we are complete gunge up there when he doesn't play, having said that he has to work stupidly hard and kick goals out of his ass to polish our disastrous forward entries.

Rioli is our only gifted small forward we are complete gunge up there when he doesn't play, having said that he has to work stupidly hard and kick goals out of his ass to polish our disastrous forward entries.

It's the Kenny model. I feel like we work too hard for goals, we have to cause chaos to get them where Rioli fits in.

Would like to see Jez play a utility/swingman role, filling in for talls both forward and back, to keep structure, and playing 2nd ruck.

I think Jez would thrive mixing it up like that.

I think it’d be worth sacrificing one of Mead, Mcentee, DBJ, for that role, with Rozee, Butters, JHF, even Wines or Drew going forward more.
He is the ultimate wingman where lcuky for us
Sure looks like Finlayson sub, just to give a tall sub a third try this season to be really sure it doesn't work.
I would make Boak the sub and play Finlayson on the wing.

Happy to see Rioli back in the team as he was having a great year and his quality has really shown up McEntee and Evans as being footballing frauds at the highest level.

The rest of the ins is deck chairs on the Titanic which is par for the course with Hinkley captaining the ship.

There is no real hope with the team with Hinkley at the helm and I will be eager to see how we play and how the Three Amigos play and if Wines gets to do whatever he wants in the midfield while the actual stars in the midfield get to play in there.

Funny how no such admission is made in any discussion involving McEntee.

Reminds me of how the Hot Toddy fans continually excuse his lack of impact on the basis of poor forward entries but still reserve the right to lampoon Dixon who plays in the same forward line.

For the record, I think both the personnel AND system suck.

I rate SPP too, he was actually defensively very good and the ball comes out of the fwd line much easier without him there.
Rioli is the only guy you can expect to kick multiple goals however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back