Toast Round 15 = Collingwood 82-80 Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes I don’t know what to make of us.

Like many I was hoping we’d make a big statement today, but winning the way we did is a Collingwood statement.

We’re not playing our best footy, but we’re on top of the ladder and we have the biggest percentage.

I have my doubts, but maybe we’re just gonna do it differently this year.

Like many I was hoping we’d make a big statement today, but winning the way we did is a Collingwood statement.

We’re not playing our best footy, but we’re on top of the ladder and we have the biggest percentage.

I think you just have unrealistic expectations. If we were belting teams you'd be like 'oh I wonder if we can keep it up and do it at the end of the year when it counts, maybe we peaked too early'

Had to watch the replay, cut out with 14 seconds to go in Adelaide’s forward line. Watched the whole thinking we’d lost, had my brother in law calling me, usually just to stick it up me.

We can play so much better that what we produced today, so we take the 4 points, it was Adelaide’s GF.

Arrived back home to see my family and saw the score.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again I friggin Love my Club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Great win. Not perfect by any means, but hard fought in many respects. Adelaide needs to be credited for their second half turnaround and pushing us to the end. I think they're more than capable of playing finals if they maintain that standard of football.

The Daicos boys and Mitchell were the backbone of driving us to victory. Some excellent defensive efforts from Noble, Quaynor and Markov today particularly in the dying stages of the game where Adelaide were pressing us.

Our lacklustre third quarters continue. Part of me wonders whether it's a deliberate strategy to conserve energy for the final term, but by doing this we risk allowing the opposition to comeback at us.

Forward line looked a bit dysfunctional as well. Johnson looks well off the pace, and probably would have been dropped if it weren't for McStay's persistent injury troubles. It's the second consecutive game he's been tactically subbed off. Harrison's efforts are admirable, but Ginnivan is an upgrade to replace him. Elliott was decent on his return. Mihocek's in a mini slump after being on track for a career best season a few weeks back.

Overall, plenty of learnings to take out of this game but things are good. We sit on top and our fighting spirit is as strong as it's ever been.

He's looked serviceable when he's drifted forward while rucking. He'll be a physical presence, with AJ isn't, and he wont break in half, like Freddy will. It's only until McStay is back.
Agree - he has excellent versatility and growing in confidence.
His past is completely irrelevant- he could surprise in yet another role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Believe we are, reckon we'll see it week one in September.

You are obviously of my vintage. I understand all your insecurity. I hope this year is different

Covering the cracks is my major concern.
Lippa was diabolical and slow. Was nowhere near on the same page with the rest of the team.
He’s gets a few weeks because of the time he’s missed….but he ain’t a certainty on todays form.

3rd qtr was mostly lack of defensive effort on our side…..and a bit of luck on theirs.
Sometimes it’s just that simple.

Exhibit A:
Pendles competes on back flank with Sloan, Pendles loses a boot….Sloan gets it again unmanned at fwd flank and hits the target. Pendles doesn’t lose the boot, that play doesn’t happen.

But the lack of desire in the third is a worry.
I’m far from convinced we are the best team in it.

Good win, bank the points….move on.

I'm not sure whether we are going through a flat patch and building for a September surge or if we have been worked out and are simply holding on by our fingernails. DeGoey, Sidey and McStay will make a difference as will the smell of the grass in Spring when the sun comes out, but we have a way to go yet.

We miss Degoey shockingly .The midfield is just so one paced without him.He can’t come back quickly enough as far as I’m concerned.

The forward line is a huge concern as well.Johnson had another poor game today and was subbed out.And there’s no obvious replacement for him,apart from Mcstay who unfortunately appears to be out for another few weeks.

This 100% and we shouldn't underestimate Sidey's absence.

Awful day for our forwards but to be fair, delivery I50 wasn't the best I've seen. That wind wasn't helpful. Tex aside, everyone struggled to read the ball.

The side is banking wins against quality opponents. The Crows played a great game. I thought they were done at 1/2 time but credit to them they pushed the Pies and arguably would have been worthy winners.

Not sure it's realistic to expect that we'll wipe the floor with every side we play, as appealing as that idea might be.

Are we a properly good side? F yes! Even if we view the situation through a negative lens the 2023 AFL ladder currently indicates that we are less sh*t than every other team.

Last edited:
Should've never let them back into it but HOLY HELL. What a win!

And I was wrong wanting to sub Cox off half way through the third.
Doesn’t phase me, it’s good practice. Serious doubt in the oppositions mind when we are down in the last quarter…must make them panic. Will hold us in good stead come finals.

We are not as effective or efficient as we should be.

Covering the cracks is my major concern.
Lippa was diabolical and slow. Was nowhere near on the same page with the rest of the team.
He’s gets a few weeks because of the time he’s missed….but he ain’t a certainty on todays form.

3rd qtr was mostly lack of defensive effort on our side…..and a bit of luck on theirs.
Sometimes it’s just that simple.

Exhibit A:
Pendles competes on back flank with Sloan, Pendles loses a boot….Sloan gets it again unmanned at fwd flank and hits the target. Pendles doesn’t lose the boot, that play doesn’t happen.

But the lack of desire in the third is a worry.
I’m far from convinced we are the best team in it.

Good win, bank the points….move on.
But who is the best? The Lions got flogged by Hawthorn and seemed to escape much criticism. Melbourne are patchy. Every other team has had their bad loss or two or have no consistency. Port look the best but we flogged them by 12 goals on the G.

Port are the form team, but they’ve beat syd by 2, saints by 7, bombers by 5, dees by 4, rich by 10. They’ve had a lot of close games that could have gone either way. It’s a tough comp this season

If history has taught us anything, it’s that teams who win a succession of games by small margins will then spontaneously combust, only to have their ashes scattered to the four winds and then inhaled by unsuspecting beach yoga enthusiasts.

At least, I think that’s what happened to us after 2022, right?

This 100% and we shouldn't underestimate Sidey's absence.

Awful day for our forwards but to be fair, delivery I50 wasn't the best I've seen. That wind wasn't helpful. Tex aside, everyone struggled to read the ball.

The side is banking wins against quality opponents. The Crows played a great game. I thought they were done at 1/2 time but credit to them they pushed the Pies and arguably would have been worthy winners.

Not sure it's realistic to expect that we'll wipe the floor with every side we play, as appealing as that idea might be.

Are we a properly good side? F yes! Even if we view the situation through a negative lens the 2023 AFL ladder currently indicates that we are less sh*t than every other side.
Nick Daicos aside, Sidey and DeGoey have been our best two players all year. That's a big hole and their return will make a big difference. Lipinski is still finding his feet and Howe will only get better. We have been up for a while now. You have to have a flat spot and we are in one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 15 = Collingwood 82-80 Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back