Toast Round 15 = Collingwood 82-80 Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

From a coaching perspective, I like that Fly will be able to dissect what the opposition do when they have good periods against us. We wouldn’t get this opportunity if we were flogging everyone. I think Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide in particular all took away our handball chains so hopefully we can Learn from this.

Not many Premiership-worthy teams allow an opposition team to outscore them by seven goals to nil in a quarter.

We are a long way off where we need to get to but for now at least we’re falling over the line, rather than coming up short.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
In 2010 we almost lost to Melbourne, twice, when they were an absolute basket case.
We had one terrible quarter, people need to calm down.

Wow,another heart stopper.It’s agony watching some of these games but worth it in the end when we win.

This current Collingwood side is such a schizophrenic side to watch.They can go from playing sublime football to being absolute rubbish in the blink of an eye.I don’t know what happens to them,but it seems to happen almost every week,and it’s usually the third quarter where they switch off for sone reason.I’d love to know what happens at half time,because the team always seems come out as fiat as a tack after the break.

We miss Degoey shockingly .The midfield is just so one paced without him.He can’t come back quickly enough as far as I’m concerned.

The forward line is a huge concern as well.Johnson had another poor game today and was subbed out.And there’s no obvious replacement for him,apart from Mcstay who unfortunately appears to be out for another few weeks.
Krueger is an obvious replacement for AJ. I like AJ, but he's terribly out of form.

From a coaching perspective, I like that Fly will be able to dissect what the opposition do when they have good periods against us. We wouldn’t get this opportunity if we were flogging everyone. I think Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide in particular all took away our handball chains so hopefully we can Learn from this.
Yep. This is the good part of not going perfectly. When all is well it's hard to improve during the year. We clearly have things to work on and the loss to Melbourne helps with reiterating that. If we don't go all the way this year it won't be due to peaking too early (we haven't peaked) and not adjusting, it will simply be not being good enough on whichever day we lose.

Twice now we’ve got away with one against Adelaide

Going in without Frampton was a really really poor decision that almost cost us the game.

Would have been nice if we could have won more of those centre clearances in the third to stem the flow. Because we kicked 4 goals from 4 centre clearances in the last.
Frampton wouldn’t have made a blind bit of difference against that Adelaide ball movement. It’s not like they were banging it in long and taking contested marks, they were hitting up their forward 50 targets with low bullets on the chest.

Wow,another heart stopper.It’s agony watching some of these games but worth it in the end when we win.

This current Collingwood side is such a schizophrenic side to watch.They can go from playing sublime football to being absolute rubbish in the blink of an eye.I don’t know what happens to them,but it seems to happen almost every week,and it’s usually the third quarter where they switch off for sone reason.I’d love to know what happens at half time,because the team always seems come out as fiat as a tack after the break.

We miss Degoey shockingly .The midfield is just so one paced without him.He can’t come back quickly enough as far as I’m concerned.

The forward line is a huge concern as well.Johnson had another poor game today and was subbed out.And there’s no obvious replacement for him,apart from Mcstay who unfortunately appears to be out for another few weeks.
Johnson actually featured in some plays in the first quarter but did himself no favours by not sticking marks or collecting the ground ball. He has lots of talent but I really wonder if he has or will ever have the temperament to play AFL football. I reckon he will hold his spot until McStay returns then maybe given a chance to show what he can do with a strong tall player in the CHF position. I'd have suggested Kreuger as a replacement but he didn't seem to impress this week at VFL level.

What's better than beating Adelaide by 1 and 2 points? Beating Carlton by 4 and 1 point:)

Relieved we got over the line. That 3rd quarter was awful, but the coaches get to have a look at what to work on. Premierships are not won in June, so not playing our best but still winning has set us up for a top 4 finish whilst exposing deficiencies that need to be corrected.

They beat us at the stoppages and then choked up the middle of the ground once we got the footy. As soon as we won clearances they weren’t able to set their flood and our ball movement was better. The good thing is we have heaps of time, plus a couple of handy ins, to rectify this.

Usual nervousness when we were up at half time. Doubts fulfilled giving up that lead by three quarter time. Usual jubilation and plain relief when getting up in the last.
Daicos x 2, Adams, Cox, Cameron, Pendles all good. John F Noble, Markov, WHE, Coxy, Pendles crucial in the last. Elliott hitting the scoreboard and Howe returning was nice. Elliotts contest in Crow’s forward 50 on the last kick by O’Brien deserves a special mention.
Go Pies!!!

I'd play Frampton forward ahead of both of them - hell mark it or bring it to the ground, compete, chase, tackle and can ruck inside 50.
This is the same Frampton who couldn’t make it as a forward in the first 7 years of his career and is only on an AFL list today because of his move to defence?

No thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They beat us at the stoppages and then choked up the middle of the ground once we got the footy. As soon as we won clearances they weren’t able to set their flood and our ball movement was better. The good thing is we have heaps of time, plus a couple of handy ins, to rectify this.
Agree with this. The De Goey out is key to that. Last year we would have been more likely to lose these type of games. Having Mitchell gives us more leeway.

Even with our best team we do have some concerns with our defence when teams get on top in contested ball and move the ball easily, because we only have one key defender. Sam Reid and Buddy got hold of us in the Prelim and we saw the Crows do it again today. Maynard and Murphy playing tall only works when we are competitive in the middle.

This is the same Frampton who couldn’t make it as a forward in the first 7 years of his career and is only on an AFL list today because of his move to defence?

No thanks.
He's looked serviceable when he's drifted forward while rucking. He'll be a physical presence, with AJ isn't, and he wont break in half, like Freddy will. It's only until McStay is back.

I see where Adelaide went wrong, too many downhill skiers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230625_171628_AFL.jpg
    Screenshot_20230625_171628_AFL.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20230625_171631_AFL.jpg
    Screenshot_20230625_171631_AFL.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I just got home from the game, and will watch Fly's presser later, but what did he say happened in that insipid 3rd quarter?
From where l was sitting, it looked like the players were comfortable with their first half and forgot how to tackle, pressure, chase, and win a possession.
Currently we're playing about 50% of good footy, but 50% is ordinary at the moment.
The good thing is that despite our form dropping away in the last 6 weeks, we have only lost the one game.
DeGoey, Sidebottom and even McStay are going to be big ins over the next few weeks. I would also bring back Frampton as that big body down back.
Thank god for the Daicos boys, and for Coxy in that last quarter. Thought Howey's return was fantastic, and he really stood up, Quaynor, Maynard, Mitchell, Pendles all good today.
We should have never been in that position after our first half, and to have a 40 point turnaround in that 3rd quarter, is something we can't afford to do, if we want to be there the last Saturday in September.....Go Pies!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 15 = Collingwood 82-80 Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back