Review Round 15 vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

We selected our own level. We were pretty much in command much of the time, just couldn't lift to motor clear and get percentage. It was simply our last 2 Etihad games v them minus the 'crumple zone players' ChristopHaha discussed in the preview thread.

So we were lairising? Flirting with form and possibly even a win?

I hated all the talk before the game of it being a % booster.. it always bites us on the a$$.

Happy to get the 4 points, thought Dixon was huge in the second half! making contests and making things happen in the 50..

We make things harder for ourselves with our disposal, its never perfectly executed. We always put the ball a little left or low or with too much loop for the receiver then its a fumble and a scrap forward.

Carlton were so much better at hitting the ground balls too, they were swarming on them had far too much pace at times and carved us up on the rebound. West Coast do the same thing to us. Drives me insane.

Good to win the 4th on the trot, but hardly an inspiring or comprehensive win against a bottom to the table team. We can (and need to) do better in the coming weeks.

So we were lairising? Flirting with form and possibly even a win?
On that game alone flirting with form. I mean the players as a group can't think that, individually they must think they're doing all the right stuff.
But the reason I mention our last 2 games v them in Melbourne games is that somehow, even without atrocious levels of umpire interference, they seem to project a 'durp' field onto us over there.

For those at the game.
I know we missed a few simple ones but why were 17 out of 23 goals scored at the one end of the ground?

Polec gave away two free kicks for high fend offs and has been caught holding the ball trying to fend off over the last few weeks. Not sure when that habit came into his game but it's not working for him. He doesn't have the upper body strength of an SPP to push opponents off him and once he does it the umpire views it as prior opportunity and will always ping him. Should be learning to reflex handball instead.

For those at the game.
I know we missed a few simple ones but why were 17 out of 23 goals scored at the one end of the ground?

Wind? Westhoff had some rank set shots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wind? Westhoff had some rank set shots.
Yeah it was weird.
It would be interesting to see time in opposition half heat maps for the quarters, plus if it was to do with wind, which side of the ground goals were scored or mossed from.

Some new thoughts post sleep.

Excuses or perspective:
Carlton came to play and were fired up. We have had a tough patch of games and would have seen this as an easy game. Multiple Port players came out flat and unready for a fight. Yet we fought through and managed a victory. Sometimes you must win ugly and just find a way.

This game reinforces the importance of Jonas and Hartlett to our backline. They are the tough, uncompromising leaders out there, without them the defence lacked organisation, structure and discipline. We have lost Hartlett, Jonas has been in amazing form but intermittently injured, DBJ was out, Pittard has been in horrible form, Bonner is still young and Trengove hasn’t played much down back. The backline dysfunction was almost to be expected. It’s up to you Pittard - become the general back there and maybe I’ll start thinking you have a future at Port.

The midfield group was soundly beaten. The two way running wasn’t there. We were second to the ball. Our ball use was atrocious at times. Much of this was down to effort. Ebert, Boak and Wines were all poor - tough to change the game when three of your leaders and standard setters are off.

Our forward line was one of the more function areas despite Westhoff, S.Gray, Thomas and Dixon all deciding to miss some very gettable shots. Marshall struggled out there but still managed two good goals. Thomas was tough as coffin nails.

At the end of the day, had we taken our shots early we would have finished that by half time. There are lots of concerns but I think most come down to effort, being mentally ready and rocking up ready to play. The boys have done that for several weeks so I’ll give them a reprieve for now. Fail or keep it close agains the saints and I might reconsider..

Polec wasn't just average. He was garbage. Pound for pound on damage caused, Garlett gave him a bath. He showed no urgency and never so much as broke into a sprint. Was lazy and aloof all day. The type of performance that he puts in occasionally and the type of performance that makes the club flirt with trading him.

Polec wasn't just average. He was garbage. Pound for pound on damage caused, Garlett gave him a bath. He showed no urgency and never so much as broke into a sprint. Was lazy and aloof all day. The type of performance that he puts in occasionally and the type of performance that makes the club flirt with trading him.
He’s lying in bed at night dreaming of those millions in his new contract with Norf.
How can we possibly expect him to be at his best when so sleep deprived?

Dwayne went to new places yesterday
It was sickening.
Every, single Carlton player was a god apparently.
The praise from him and Roos for a team that has scrapped one win in a season's worth of game's made me wanna watch it on mute.

Every time I watch Charlie Curnow I think Jack Watts. Curnow does the things I wish Jack would do. First it was King Kerley then King Carey now King Curnow so the commentary is hardly original. I suspect Curnow will be a very good good player without the over the top hype from Dwayne and co.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 15 vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back