Autopsy Round 16, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think enough has been made of Tommy Lowless(Highmore ;) mark. Completely cut off the momentum.

He had a real baptism of fire in his first 10 minutes on the field and seemed to get about 10 touches in that time. He held up well.

Just a few observations from my first game in three years.

Carlton is better than us, better forward line, better mids, backline probably about the same if Weitering had been playing, we had the better ruck.
Yet we won.

Shout out to the coaching.

We would not win that game under Richo.
We would not win that game under Ratten in 2020, nor the first half of 2021.

The fact we won last night is not as important as how we won.
That game was all about tempo, uncontested possession and stoppage.
We were on top when we controlled all three and prevented Carlton playing slingshot football.

Shout out to the players.

NWS and Windhager will be footballers.

Hill played a great game but he has a fragility to him that can be exploited.

Sinclair: enough said.

Enright brought all the defenders into a huddle prior to the game: Leadership.

Where Carlton wasted their opportunities in the third, we wasted ours in the first.
Should have been 7:2 not 3:6.

People criticising Finnis etc for being too woke really need to get a grip.
For Carlton, last night was all about Gender Equality.

And….

I had forgotten just how noisy Saints supporters could be.

Fantastic game to wait three years for.

I’m knocking battle but McKay didn’t score when Howard was on him. Well he got a point when Howard got injured. I really like battle but I don’t like him that deep. Joyce will have to come in next week. And yes some were impossible to stop.

Absolutely Joyce should come in but it was not Battle playing badly, I think they saw it as an opportunity to play through McKay more with a smaller opponent and the Carlton mids delivered it on a platter for him. Losing a player from your back 6 means a reshuffle and it's harder to hold up the shield of a zone defence.

About all Battle could do was block and harass and lock him up in wrestles to stop his leading and every time the camera panned he was there doing just that. At least 2 of McKays shots came from really shitty angles out wide close to the boundary which means he was able to corral him in to where he wasn't as dangerous as well.

I’m having to go to bed from the whiskey. Im so drunk. I just ate cold take away to hide my drunkenness from my wife. I hope I don’t spew in the bedroom.
Don't try and hide, take the full frontal assault approach. You should slap your missus on the arse and loudly declare "Honey, I'm smashed off my dial, the boys just played awesome and it's your lucky night, cos' they got me fired up and I'm looking to get some sugar!".

She'll probably jump into bed and pretend to be asleep straight away to avoid being mauled buy a drunken bum that reeks of grog..........;)
:cool:

Horses for courses, Naughton and Ugle Hagan next week. Not sure Joyce can really play on either. Almost stick with Battle for Naughton and accept that he’ll get done in the air, rely on Wilkie to intercept if battle can stop Naughton’s run.

Edit - we have freo next week, Joyce seems ideal for taberner to me.
Was about to say that’s all fine but we have freo.

Absolutely Joyce should come in but it was not Battle playing badly, I think they saw it as an opportunity to play through McKay more with a smaller opponent and the Carlton mids delivered it on a platter for him. Losing a player from your back 6 means a reshuffle and it's harder to hold up the shield of a zone defence.

About all Battle could do was block and harass and lock him up in wrestles to stop his leading and every time the camera panned he was there doing just that. At least 2 of McKays shots came from really shitty angles out wide close to the boundary which means he was able to corral him in to where he wasn't as dangerous as well.
No battle didn’t play badly. I still think he was beaten but certainly not badly. It was more that Howard did a great job on him.

Bad take. I usually wait til I’m home if I’m at the ground to judge the umpiring cause it really hard at the ground, I also rarely ever say the umpiring impacted the game.

Last night was absolutely deplorable.

Especially seeing as they just weren't consistent. King pushed out and gave away a free for it fine, but then at the other end it wasn't a free any more. Holding the ball before they took the ball. Holding the ball with out prior then with heap of prior not given. I thought it was absolutely terrible.

Against Sydney they scrag, hold, push and block and that's legal. This week the slightest infringement is a free. I don't mind a lop sided count but I mind a lopsided adjudication.

Would there be a better back 6 in the league that are better by foot than our 6 hill, Sinclair, Clark,jweb,battle,wilkey doogs is not bad either but his brain lets him down on occasion

Now the dust has settled, a couple of observations.

Putting Membrey behind the ball as a spare man is a great tactic and worked AGAIN last night in the dying stages. Never overused, Ratten held his nerve and kept Membrey up forward which basically won the game with his four goals. 15 points up with less than 3 minutes on the clock he goes back and takes a telling mark. Able to soak up another 30 seconds, we go down the field and score with 20 seconds left.

Max quiet in the 50, still managed to kick 3, excellent up the ground

Two whipping boys. Butler kicks 2, gives off 2, makes midfield turnovers for goals, attacked the Carlton backs with great defence. His behind rundown at a crucial was inspiring.

Billings. I am as fierce a critic as anybody and basically have given up on him. Was very good last night, if not still underconfident. Disposal good but many very safe give offs. Needs to take the game on more.

We will see how important or not Howard is to our backline in the coming weeks. Thought he blanketed McKay until injured.

NWM. Some criticism during the week with queries why him and not say a Hobbs. Well that is a fair enough question. I am always crying out for mids, however possibly the best game NWM had played and looks a real prospect.

Sincs and Hill a great combo.

Highmore is an AFL quality player.

Good gutsy win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have this instead this year

Who do they pick the entertainment for? Meatloaf and Robbie Williams seems like they believe that the AFL GF demographic is a 69 year old woman who lives in Morwell.

NWM. Some criticism during the week with queries why him and not say a Hobbs. Well that is a fair enough question. I am always crying out for mids, however possibly the best game NWM had played and looks a real prospect.

I like Hobbs a lot too. But players like NWM don’t grow on trees. Risky pick but huge upside. When you know you’re going to get Owens and Windhager at a discount in the same draft, you take NWM every day of the week. And you’re right - he certainly looks the real deal.

Just did the ladder predictor (again🙄) and even being a little ambitious having us win 4 of the last 7, if Collingwood beat Carlton in the final round i have us finishing 9th with 13 wins.

🥺💩🤮

Harsh on billings. Thought he was good and a vital player last night. Sinclair is clearly our best player but I think Marshall is our most important player and paddy not far behind.

It probably is harsh on Billings because he's never really bad. He's a good ordinary player. About 5 or 6 times he seemed to kill our fast movement while he stood and overcooked the next kick though. Membrey does it as well. To me it's probably how both learnt to play under Richo and might be repairable. Membrey has got better recently and Ross was doing it last year but not this season.

Roma's best game this year. Seemed to be moving around the ground a lot better than in previous games. Signs that he is over those niggles that seemed to be restricting him and now we are seeing his true capabilities.

That first half he was ripping marks down like peak Stewie Leowe. He got us out of a few situations that looked like they were about to crack us open, he was playing with real confidence.

Don't know how to post the pic but in the AFL app tracker stats for the game and looking at repeat sprints. We had more in the first quarter than carlton had for the whole game. The final tally was 32 to 13 for the game.

That's how you respond to a disappointing game, night and day to last week's 'response'

I thought he played very well last week as well. Marshall isn’t a forward. He is a follower and that’s how he plays his best footy.

He played well last week but his impact was much higher this week. He's definitely a follower but has that high marking game as well. They were sticking in his mitts like he'd used superglue as grippo last night.

George , Dard Ball Get , gringo2011 , Mowman , triggering bro and my Baghdad brothers Kilroy , Sun Ra and CursingFijian .

Good win lads last night and thanks for raining on the Blues parade. I have now decided to barrack for the Saints as my 2nd team to ensure I will always be frustrated.

Congrats again Sainters:thumbsu:

Rang to piss of my Blues brother this morning and he was arguing with me that the Blues are everyone's second favourite team now. He at least used to have grandness to his delusion. Now he thought the umpires and commentators were on your side because they are everyone's favourite underdogs. I was too hung over to argue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back