Autopsy Round 16, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great win. Membrey, Sinc's & Wilkie were massive, Butler very good. Hill needs to tidy up his disposal but tried his heart out, same with Wood. Seb was good but his high air kicks 50 metres up and 6 metres in distance can drive one insane. Job took a big step in regaining form. Hunter got better as the game progressed, but another injury...geez, poor bugger can't take a trick. Windy & Nas were both very good for different reasons. Guys like JWeb, and even Billings, stood up in the last with some important plays.
DMac would have been huge in a game like that. Hoping he returns with the same fire as before he went out.
We need more drive from the backline. Sinclair is a weapon, but when the opposition shuts him down, then our ball movement is stopped.. Highmore, Wilkie, Webster all capable of offering run.. If Connelly is ready, he’ll be another weapon.

To me, Hill is not a defender.. he can only play wing or half forward.. every time he is under pressure in our backline, he gets in trouble and is prone to mistakes.. he needs more space and be able to use his pace to effect..

Blues fans are feral,
Not Collingwood/west coast bogan toothless dole bludger feral...
White collar pen pushing wogs but they get a couple of beers in them and they bay for blood like a pack of hyenas.
Their own players and coach if things aren’t going well.
Unleashing the fury of a week worth of passive aggressive emails.
They carry on, no doubt some influence on the umpiring.

Yes.
It is a question of degree, and that’s subjective.
I believe their forward line is better because: Mackay, Curnow and now Motlop.
Be like us having both Kings.
Midfield because: Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, then their next level.
We are not there yet, but will get closer once the kids get experience.
Hopefully, you are right and we surpass them.
It was a great game: that third quarter is probably one of the hardest fought I have seen for some time.
Did you really just tell me their forward line is better because Motlop had a good game last night?

Higgins is a much better player and kicked 2 in a poor game. Prior to his second concussion against the Cats this year - he was talked about as a potential all Australian.

A pure subjective conversation is me saying I believe Charlie Curnow to be overrated and telling you why I think so.

But I’ve already stated Carlton have the star power and we have the better side.

Cerra is the equivalent of Hunter Clark right now. Being perfectly honest, if pick 6 (which is what they traded to Freo) was offered today. I’d would seriously consider that offer for him. They tease. They have moments. For the most part it’s meh.

The Carlton midfield is better because they have 2 genuine stars in Cripps and Walsh. We have Steele and he probably sits in between both in quality.

How was that goal umpire?
I think its a behind, can we check it crossed the line?
And replay shows him staring at the ball which is a foot over the line?
What The Wtf GIF by Justin

Don't know how to post the pic but in the AFL app tracker stats for the game and looking at repeat sprints. We had more in the first quarter than carlton had for the whole game. The final tally was 32 to 13 for the game.

That's how you respond to a disappointing game, night and day to last week's 'response'
Yep saw that, we also ran more and further at high speed. Is there something in the heavy training loads? Pretty sure it was the opposite last couple of weeks

How was that goal umpire?
I think its a behind, can we check it crossed the line?
And replay shows him staring at the ball which is a foot over the line?
What The Wtf GIF by Justin
Boundary ump had a clear view - they should have asked him. It was crazy.

I have to ask what did Billings do that seemed vital to you last night?

24 of the most invisible touches I've ever seen. There was a moment in the 2nd he had a clear target in the middle of the ground and you could see him hesitate because he was scared of screwing up so he took yet another safe boring kick to the boundary line.

I want him to be the matchwinner he was meant to be not this shell shocked vanilla nothing. He needs to spend some time with his mate Sincs
Agree.. Billing takes safe option every time.. Can’t win contested ball, missed tackles and almost 0 hurt factor.. Windy in his first season is having far more of an impact with 12 possession than Billings cheap 24 possesions basically just running around as free man to half back..

He needs to be told he is a half forward that needs to make things happen or kick goals himself.. if he can’t do that, he is out of the side.Butler
Same here- a bit like Webster, the kicking style looks nice, but doesn't seem to go to the best options enough
Think we need to look at what are Hill’s kicking options when he gets the ball in the back line.. we don’t have any one leading at him or a big targets moving to space, all he can hit is 50/50s, which makes him hesitate and hold on to the ball longer..

When he is on the wing and in space, streaming to forward line, items easier at least he has big targets to aim at.

Every club has good ordinary players. He is rated by his pick number which isn’t his fault. I still think he will play a vital role when we are actually a good side
I reckon it's more that supporters get frustrated because he has the ability and as a result he gets rated harder that others. In my view he has been pretty good both games. He gets to the right spots to link up and doesn't make any mistakes, which is valuable. He does seem to have a fear of failure tho. It frustrates me that he doesn't take the game on more and be aggressive with his ball use because he has the ability to. If he could nail his shots at goal and be more aggressive with his field kicking he'd be an excellent player and he has the physical skill and footy smarts to do so. I reckon he just has the little guy on the shoulder getting in his ear tho

I liked the way we used King last night, even if it was partially forced on us. He's too versatile and good at ground level to spend most of the game in the goal square competing against two or three opponents. Especially with our usual delivery.

We keep saying one day he'll kick a real bag of goals. I'd rather 2 or 3 each week and have him up the ground clunking his marks and using his all round skill set. Just needs to develop a tank like Rooey.

I reckon it's more that supporters get frustrated because he has the ability and as a result he gets rated harder that others. In my view he has been pretty good both games. He gets to the right spots to link up and doesn't make any mistakes, which is valuable. He does seem to have a fear of failure tho. It frustrates me that he doesn't take the game on more and be aggressive with his ball use because he has the ability to. If he could nail his shots at goal and be more aggressive with his field kicking he'd be an excellent player and he has the physical skill and footy smarts to do so. I reckon he just has the little guy on the shoulder getting in his ear tho
To be fair to Billings.. 7 years of Richo will do that to you. When none of your team mates can hit a slightly difficult target, and everyone is constantly under pressure, fumbling and fatigued. The only thing you can do is play safe.

He was suppose to be our Toby Green, Papley, Robbie Grey.. now he has less impact than Winghager. a first year player, despite having 24 possessions, but also 5 turnovers. quite high for someone who plays as a free man running back to the defence as a spare man.

I thought he was our best player last week and again was serviceable but made a few mistakes last night with his high kicking. I thought Crouch was more disappointing last night. Seemed to go missing for patches.
I've got a feeling that the Ross haters on here from last year are biding their time waiting for him to drop off. I think after Sinclair he's been our second best player this year. And I've never been a fanboy.

From the Carlton autopsy thread ~30 min ago... "We are on the right track, so much to look forward to. Our future is much brighter than St Kildas."

Lol, okay chief

It's going to be interesting to watch, their best player list is better our spread of talent runs deeper. As Stavro said, We are more like the 2010 Collingwood side compared to us who had the better top end. Also could argue Geelong 2009 ran deeper but our top end was better. GAJ and co were good players then but that was really the start of their rise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need more drive from the backline. Sinclair is a weapon, but when the opposition shuts him down, then our ball movement is stopped.. Highmore, Wilkie, Webster all capable of offering run.. If Connelly is ready, he’ll be another weapon.

To me, Hill is not a defender.. he can only play wing or half forward.. every time he is under pressure in our backline, he gets in trouble and is prone to mistakes.. he needs more space and be able to use his pace to effect..
Agree with the Hill comment. I think he's a lot more comfortable offensively, and has added a string to his bow by playing in defense, but isn't reliable in the role. The amount of kicks that went straight to a Carlton player was hard to watch. They weren't high pressure kicks either, just poor execution. He provides good run and drive, a half forward slot is far more his jam. He's a bloke that plays well when enjoying his footy, loves a goal too.

Not disagreeing they got plenty, but they could have got more.
Watch Battle on Mackay for example.
He’s undersized and doing everything in his power to stop Harry.
If King had to put up with that, we’d be screaming.
Webb and Wilkie were also manhandling their opponents.

To counter your example, Butler looked to be in control from where I was sitting (soft free yes, but could still argue it was there), whereas play on was called when Motlop got legged.
King did cop that all game and Ro and Paddy in the ruck and nothing. Not paid.

I did, and I disagree.
We were lucky there weren’t more awarded to Carlton, especially from our defence.
Lol, mate, I have no idea what you were watching, not only did all the saints supporters say it was cooked, every nuetral said the same thing but by all means, you do you

Not disagreeing they got plenty, but they could have got more.
Watch Battle on Mackay for example.
He’s undersized and doing everything in his power to stop Harry.
If King had to put up with that, we’d be screaming.
Webb and Wilkie were also manhandling their opponents.

To counter your example, Butler looked to be in control from where I was sitting (soft free yes, but could still argue it was there), whereas play on was called when Motlop got legged.
Ohhhhh you’re trolling. Cool man, carry on.

To be fair to Billings.. 7 years of Richo will do that to you. When none of your team mates can hit a slightly difficult target, and everyone is constantly under pressure, fumbling and fatigued. The only thing you can do is play safe.

He was suppose to be our Toby Green, Papley, Robbie Grey.. now he has less impact than Winghager. a first year player, despite having 24 possessions, but also 5 turnovers. quite high for someone who plays as a free man running back to the defence as a spare man.
He was good last night. To be better than that he has to take the game on more. Agree totally he takes the safe option and agree that playing in a poor team has probably taken its toll.
Given up on him being a top player, but he is AFL quality. However unless he gets back to his best younger players will overtake him. I mean a winger delisted from North is as if not more damaging.

Yes.
It is a question of degree, and that’s subjective.
I believe their forward line is better because: Mackay, Curnow and now Motlop.
Be like us having both Kings.
Midfield because: Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, then their next level.
We are not there yet, but will get closer once the kids get experience.
Hopefully, you are right and we surpass them.
It was a great game: that third quarter is probably one of the hardest fought I have seen for some time.

McKay and Curnow have kicked 45 and 31 goals (76 total). Membrey and King 23 and 38 (61 total). But then on the Coleman list we also have Snags on 21 and Gresh on 16 (37 total). No other Carlton player is on the leaderboard.

The game when Carlisle had the run in with Murphy was the best.
Love it when they go home with their bandwagon empty

Careful, you'll have to apologise publically when Murph finishes sobbing uncontrollably about bring this up.

Boundary ump had a clear view - they should have asked him. It was crazy.

Still attest, they called for a review, he's literally touching the goddamn post, bring up that line and confirm it.

They didn't, much like sirengate, they half arsed it and guessed to be all 'yeah I think it's behind, looks it, she'll be right" and next week they'll have reviewed and be all "yeah , we were right, aren't we great guessers!" all just because they half arsed a goal line review.

Don't call for the tech if you're not going to use it properly and waste time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back