Autopsy Round 16, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McKay and Curnow have kicked 45 and 31 goals (76 total). Membrey and King 23 and 38 (61 total). But then on the Coleman list we also have Snags on 21 and Gresh on 16 (37 total). No other Carlton player is on the leaderboard.
Whats Membrey on ?

We need more drive from the backline. Sinclair is a weapon, but when the opposition shuts him down, then our ball movement is stopped.. Highmore, Wilkie, Webster all capable of offering run.. If Connelly is ready, he’ll be another weapon.

To me, Hill is not a defender.. he can only play wing or half forward.. every time he is under pressure in our backline, he gets in trouble and is prone to mistakes.. he needs more space and be able to use his pace to effect..
Yep Hill can get caught out bad defensively. He did play a very good game tho. I'd still prefer him to play hf or wing. He can use his running power more and get back and still be able to give us drive off hbf while generating more i50's. Hill's best asset is his running power and that'd be the best way to use it imo

I have to ask what did Billings do that seemed vital to you last night?

24 of the most invisible touches I've ever seen. There was a moment in the 2nd he had a clear target in the middle of the ground and you could see him hesitate because he was scared of screwing up so he took yet another safe boring kick to the boundary line.

I want him to be the matchwinner he was meant to be not this shell shocked vanilla nothing. He needs to spend some time with his mate Sincs
Watch the game again Billing’s was very good and clean inside. If you have watched and still didn’t rate him, I don’t know what to tell ya…

Last edited:
Did you really just tell me their forward line is better because Motlop had a good game last night?

Higgins is a much better player and kicked 2 in a poor game. Prior to his second concussion against the Cats this year - he was talked about as a potential all Australian.

A pure subjective conversation is me saying I believe Charlie Curnow to be overrated and telling you why I think so.

But I’ve already stated Carlton have the star power and we have the better side.

Cerra is the equivalent of Hunter Clark right now. Being perfectly honest, if pick 6 (which is what they traded to Freo) was offered today. I’d would seriously consider that offer for him. They tease. They have moments. For the most part it’s meh.

The Carlton midfield is better because they have 2 genuine stars in Cripps and Walsh. We have Steele and he probably sits in between both in quality.
No, their forward line is better than ours because Mackay + Curnow > King + Membery. Motlop simply had a great game and adds to their overall quality. Even with Higgins, I just believe that their twin towers are currently better than ours and that improves their entire forward half compared with our own.
The subjectivity reference was that I think they have both the better star power and the better side, you don’t.
They may tease, but what would you call our performance this year: the epitome of consistency? We have moments too. Then dole out complete rubbish.
I needn’t remind you of that!
These things are dynamic and you may prove to be exactly right by the end of the year or, at least, shortly in the future.
Or I might.
But for now, we can disagree and I can still think they’re the better team.

We looked so much more dynamic with King sacrificing leads and spreading the defence wide. He totally opened the way for Membrey, Marshall and Ryder.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
I will add we looked Dynamic because King and Marshall dominated the air around the wing.

Just helped us link up.

The last quarter. I genuinely thought King was huge. Especially early when they threw the kitchen sink at us. King is colossal 2/3/4 times in the wing that gets us going forward. Relieves pressure etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a GOP of course he was good, he's just going to lose his spot if that's all he's got because others will pass him by. He's a bit like James Aish. He's good enough but nothing special and I thought he was pretty good last night. Showed a couple of acts of urgency at least. Ran down to punch a ball through that would have been a goal and a couple of times did sprints.

His one that was frustrating was when we had the ball at CHB late in the game and he was open in heaps of space and he ran away from the spot way beyond where the kicker could reach and meant we had to find a covered player instead. It was a really weird thing to do for such an experienced player.
Were you at the game?

I reckon it's more that supporters get frustrated because he has the ability and as a result he gets rated harder that others. In my view he has been pretty good both games. He gets to the right spots to link up and doesn't make any mistakes, which is valuable. He does seem to have a fear of failure tho. It frustrates me that he doesn't take the game on more and be aggressive with his ball use because he has the ability to. If he could nail his shots at goal and be more aggressive with his field kicking he'd be an excellent player and he has the physical skill and footy smarts to do so. I reckon he just has the little guy on the shoulder getting in his ear tho
No issue with that but I think we need to look at the positive stuff over the negative stuff. We still need players like him and as good as we get I doubt we are replacing someone like him. For the 347th time the pick number clouds his actual ability. I understand why but I think it’s unfair on billings.

It's like he overthinks everything he does

150% correct.

He's a rote* footballer, always has been.

*Rote: the use of memory usually with little intelligence learn by rote. 2 : mechanical or unthinking routine or repetition a joyless sense of order.

Has no footy instincts- it's no surprise he is not doing well under ratten and rath's system where we aren't drilled in any set plays and the players are sent out with permission to be unpredictable and chaotic.

Billings would thrive in a team like geelong etc where it's all about moving the ball around in repeatable ways- ie the opposite of what we are

I reckon it's more that supporters get frustrated because he has the ability and as a result he gets rated harder that others. In my view he has been pretty good both games. He gets to the right spots to link up and doesn't make any mistakes, which is valuable. He does seem to have a fear of failure tho. It frustrates me that he doesn't take the game on more and be aggressive with his ball use because he has the ability to. If he could nail his shots at goal and be more aggressive with his field kicking he'd be an excellent player and he has the physical skill and footy smarts to do so. I reckon he just has the little guy on the shoulder getting in his ear tho
Definitely lacking the courage to bite of risky kicks, and quickly too. Needs to do it without over thinking.
We drafted him at 3 because he was supposed to be an elite kick but i've never seen him be super damaging with it and his goal kicking is atrocious. Seems like the kind of guy who has never spent a lot of time trying to actually improve his skills but just trains and plays well enough to get by. Doesn't have that desire to reach the next level.

For those of us that missed the post match stuff, what exactly was the gist of Luke Hodges comments on our skipper? TIA

Why does he look like he's about to make love with the door?

Worst part of winning on Friday. Brian invades.

I rate Sincs so highly that I was shocked that he had 2 turnovers out of 37 disposals. He's easily our best player these days. I know he won't poll as well as Steele did in the Brownlow but his dynamic movement, speed, 2 way game and clean use put him in the very rarest of players. HBFs don't get a lot of love but he's a proper star quality one.

I like that Hill, even though he made some mistakes taking the game on he took the game on anyway. You'd rather go down in flames than sit in the corner sucking your thumb. He motors around and takes off to break lines. I want more of that even if he gets caught.

Billings is a very low confidence player. He seems to have mental demons holding him back. It's like he overthinks everything he does. When he is forced to play on quickly or snap without time to doubt himself he's good. Otherwise he holds up play like you can see the cogs slowly turning trying to bring him undone.

Best HBF since Hodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back