Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Hawks cook the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to decide between Worpel or Scrimshaw as our most improved.

Both in insane form.

The grappling training is working wonders for Worps. Shrugging off players for fun and nailing every single target within 15-30m.
Just quietly, CJs best game for years. EVERYWHERE in the first half.

It has improved, ever so slightly. Once upon a time, you were verballed even after a loss. Now, through generational change it is far better, although still intwined are some real fk sticks.
It's a great city and looking forward to getting over there for a game. But imagine it's somewhere you'd need to bite your tongue. With that said, I watched the 2015 GF in a pub in Bali (which is essentially part of WA) full of Weagles supporters and they were pretty gracious in defeat.

honestly it's no coincidence our whole season turned around since Dear came in, so if he's fit he needs to stay.
The mad thing about the Dear/Chol combo is that along with the aerial contested game you'd hope they bring they also do the extreme forward pressure thing that you seriously don't expect for guys of their size. When you couple that with what Hardwick also brings its just perfect - Having Lewis done there as well is going to cause massive headaches all three can pinch hit in the ruck as well. Both Dear and Chol can play higher up - Its a bit like having Roughy Gunston and Hale in 2013 - good times

I've never been so unsatisfied watching a 60 point belting. Felt like it should have been 100.

That said, it took them flooding D50 to stop it from being a 90 point belting that should have been 130.
yeh I just didn't enjoy it for some reason either we should have destroyed them by double that margin

It's a great city and looking forward to getting over there for a game. But imagine it's somewhere you'd need to bite your tongue. With that said, I watched the 2015 GF in a pub in Bali (which is essentially part of WA) full of Weagles supporters and they were pretty gracious in defeat.
Hahahaha I may have been at that same sports bar! Seminyak? Tons of eagles supporters. My mate bet against hawthorn and we had his head shaved at a nearby place directly after the game. My Indonesian is pretty fluent so, unbeknownst to him, I asked for a rats tail to be left at the back of his scone. Just poetic.

Hahahaha I may have been at that same sports bar! Seminyak? Tons of eagles supporters. My mate bet against hawthorn and we had his head shaved at a nearby place directly after the game. My Indonesian is pretty fluent so, unbeknownst to him, I asked for a rats tail to be left at the back of his scone. Just poetic.
Ha nah i was in Ubud. Bought a $15 Hawks jumper for the occasion. What a great day it was!

Are we at that stage in our development where instead of sheer gratitude at wins, we can start critiquing how we won?

This Is Nice Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga
I remember previous disappointing 10 goal wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeh I just didn't enjoy it for some reason either we should have destroyed them by double that margin
we overused it in the first half - way too many handballs - at times almost back to the old "handballing around in circles till we lost it'- we were much more direct and efficient and/or used good angles with more and longer kicking in the second half. Hopefully it was just post-bye rustiness.

Knew we should have won this but went in not sure we would. Pretty good problem to have after winning by 10 goals but still thinking we were messy, we’re not a finished product but damn we are fun to watch and seeing the boys so happy is awesome after a few lean years.

McDonald was worrying me but seems he’s either been told to or figured he should pull his head in. Kid has so many gifts but was peacocking a bit earlier in the year, now he’s playing good, strong and classy footy.

I love Ginni, but as above he’s starting to do things that would bother me more if I was an opposition supporter. I’m all for personality and encourage it, just don’t have to be a d!ck. I want him to have all the success and believe he’s going to be an important piece for us, just don’t want the other young ones around him to start picking up on some habits. In saying this, he works his backside off im just not wanting things to go any further.

Sicily is back to being Sicily, hope he’s ok after his shoulder.

Day, Newk, Worpel, Nash and big Meeky dominated and Moore just keeps going.

Marbs is really thriving being the number one (like he did when he kicked all those goals for GC), hoping he and Lewis can work out how to make it work.

Hard to decide between Worpel or Scrimshaw as our most improved.

Both in insane form.

The grappling training is working wonders for Worps. Shrugging off players for fun and nailing every single target within 15-30m.
Just quietly, CJs best game for years. EVERYWHERE in the first half.
Reckon Meek would be in that conversation too

CJ looked like a genuine a grader in the first quarter. His running power is incredible
That and his ability to intercept mark on the wing was crucial to their complete inability to move the ball out of the backline in the 1st half

Interesting how every team we've played for the past however many weeks the story has been about how bad they played, how it was a horrible loss and how that coach is in trouble. The story is just repeating again with West Coast.

So far losing to us has meant alarm bells for the Dogs, St Kilda, Adelaide, Brisbane, West Coast. Maybe it's just that we're better than advertised and are currently the best defensive team in the comp? Maybe?

Not like we're the only club over the past 5 games:

Top 3 for limiting score from Fwd Half, Def Half and Centre Bounce
Top 3 for limiting score from Turnover and Stoppage

The only score source we're not defending at a top 3 level is from kick in and we're 6th - that's probably only because of how inaccurate we are and how many chances they get as a result.

We're also:

Fewest opposition score launches
Fewest opposition I50s
Fewest opposition marks I50
Fewest opposition goals per I50
Fewest opposition GBGs
Fewest opposition goal assists
2nd fewest opposition metres gained
2nd fewest opposition centre clearances
3rd fewest opposition stoppage clearances
3rd fewest opposition score involvements

It's every club that has played us who have the problems, definitely not us causing it.

Ginnivan this week - 21 touches, 4 tackles, 2.1 goals, these kinds of stats from a small forward are in the elite category. It was a mixed bag, but it was mostly good though.

I really like how hard he works back into defence and is seemingly always around the contest. It seems like Mitchell has given him a free reign to push right up the ground to get involved and provide an extra option around the ball at all times.

Honestly I never knew he had it in him to play like that.

Having him, Moore and MacDonald push right up the ground has helped open up our game and our quick ball movement.

Our small forwards and half forwards really give opposition coaches headaches.

Moore (15 games)
18.8 touches
4.7 marks
3.6 tackles
24.6 goals/points
15 goal assists

MacDonald (15 games)
16.2 touches
4.9 marks
2.3 tackles
15.13 goals/points
8 goal assists

Ginnivan (15 games)
16 touches
4.3 marks
2.5 tackles
17.16 goals/points
8 goal assists

Mackenzie (15 games)
14.5 touched
2.3 marks
2.3 tackles
8.5 goals/points
6 goal assists

Watson (8 games)
10.5 touches
3.2 marks
2.1 tackles
6.17 goals/points (plus several OOTF or didn't make the distance)
4 goal assists

Hardwick (15 games)
13.6 touches
4.4 marks
2.3 tackles
13.4 goals/points
7 goal assists

*** obviously Hardwick has spent plenty of time in defence too.

And to think outside of Hardwick they are all young with plenty of improvement and development left.

Last edited:
When was the last time we won 5 in row ?
Rounds 18-23 in 2018 we won 6 in a row. Last time we won 5+ in a row and didn't make the top 4 was in 2010.

Which actually lines up with our 2024 season quite well.

In both seasons we were 1-6 going into round 8. 2010 we won 7 in a row before losing to Geelong🤮. Finishing the season with a 12-9-1 record and finishing 7th. Both seasons we sat 8-7 at the end of round 15.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back