Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Hawks cook the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

yeh I just didn't enjoy it for some reason either we should have destroyed them by double that margin
Just be thankful that we had a day where we weren't at our best, but we still won. I'll take that over our loss to Port Adelaide any day. So long as we can play at somewhere near our best against the top sides.

I haven't posted about him before, but I am loving the energy Ginnivan brings to the team.

Nobody’s missing him.

Brocky, DGB and our first was overs for WCE 1st pick last trade period apparently!
with Brocky, he would have kicked a few yesterday if he was still a hawk. For whatever reason, going back to WA is gonna cost his career.

About the game, geez the mids are really stepping up. Newk, Day, Nash, Worps Meek are looking like Hodge, Lewis, Burg, Mitchell and BigBoy.

It's a great city and looking forward to getting over there for a game. But imagine it's somewhere you'd need to bite your tongue. With that said, I watched the 2015 GF in a pub in Bali (which is essentially part of WA) full of Weagles supporters and they were pretty gracious in defeat.
No it's not. It's an alright town.

No it's not. It's an alright town.
Haha, dunno when you were last there but it's had a few good years with the mining boom with all its shiny new developments: stadium, bridge, Elizabeth Quay, Yagan Sq. Plus prob has the best beaches of any capital city. Fremantle is great too, and Rottnest Island a short boat ride away. I could happily live there.

Nobody’s missing him.

Brocky, DGB and our first was overs for WCE 1st pick last trade period apparently!
Eagles wanted our First, F1, Brocky + a mid, most likely Ward

DGB was supposed to be steak knives in.

Will we do that.

That is Ward, Watson, 2024 first( likely one of Whitlock twins), Brocky for Reid.

Not sure if I will still do it. As we saw Reid is good but he is not that good that he can solely overcome our mid combo.

That was a dominant a first quarter that I've seen for quite sometime.

To be 8 goals up would not have been flattering at all.

We stuck at it, and were never really in doubt throughout the whole game.

I have got to say though - we played some of the most sublime attacking burst's as you'd ever wish for.

The couple that Sicily set up with those kicks............that right there - that's what wins us a flag.

Every other team in the comp are absolutely dreading playing us now.

2 or 3 astute signings (FB & elite mid x 2) and our window could be open for the next 7 or 8 years.

It's a thing of absolute beauty.

Coaches votes:

West Coast v Hawthorn

10 James Worpel (HAW)
8 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
5 Dylan Moore (HAW)
3 James Sicily (HAW)
3 Lloyd Meek (HAW)
1 Jarman Impey (HAW)

Coaches votes:

West Coast v Hawthorn

10 James Worpel (HAW)
8 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
5 Dylan Moore (HAW)
3 James Sicily (HAW)
3 Lloyd Meek (HAW)
1 Jarman Impey (HAW)
Get use to the all-Hawks coaches votes for games moving forward. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a dominant a first quarter that I've seen for quite sometime.

To be 8 goals up would not have been flattering at all.

We stuck at it, and were never really in doubt throughout the whole game.

I have got to say though - we played some of the most sublime attacking burst's as you'd ever wish for.

The couple that Sicily set up with those kicks............that right there - that's what wins us a flag.

Every other team in the comp are absolutely dreading playing us now.

2 or 3 astute signings (FB & elite mid x 2) and our window could be open for the next 7 or 8 years.

It's a thing of absolute beauty.
Thanks HoldingThe Ball I recently tried to make a comeback and ruptured my Achilles, so unfortunately I will have to put a stop your kind idea of astutely signing me. Appreciate the recognition though.😉

Are we at that stage in our development where instead of sheer gratitude at wins, we can start critiquing how we won?

This Is Nice Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga
I have been going to Post this all day. I am very disappointed with those who think a ten goal win, AWAY INTERSTATE, is “pedestrian”. Arrogance personified.

Surprised Worps got the 10 coaches votes. Great game but thought Newk or Moore would have been above him.
11 clearances, 4 of them from the centre were a major reason we dominated territory the whole game

I have been going to Post this all day. I am very disappointed with those who think a ten goal win, AWAY INTERSTATE, is “pedestrian”. Arrogance personified.

I agree, Topiary, I’ve been thinking the same thing.

Early this season we played some of the worst footy I’ve seen this club play. It was totally embarrassing.

Early last year there was a suggestion that Nash had peaked and should be cut. Preseason this year, Frost was apparently a liability and a poster (who I criticised at the time) actually said we couldn’t win a game if he were selected.
Many posters (sadly me included) were concerned that we were looking at 3 bottom 4 seasons.
This year there were serious concerns about our drafting Chol and Ginnivan. And when you’ve got pick 5 in the 2023 draft why go for the short ass Watson when Sanders and Curtin are still available?

Jump ahead mid season 2024 - and the turn around has been nothing short of sensational. Our quick ball movement and the extraordinary enthusiasm and commitment from the players under Sam’s coaching has transformed this footy club in half a season almost behind belief.

If it wasn’t clear before why we sacked Clarkson and actually paid him another $million to ensure we clinched Sam as coach, then now we know.

So in the context of all of the above, we should just be counting our blessings and not be seriously criticising a 10 goal away victory which has brought up our 8th win in the last 9 games - especially when we enjoyed some of the most breathtaking and lightning fast footy we’ve seen from any AFL club this year.

Said no one when we were 0-5 – our worst start since 1970. And here were are in June literally carving up sides. All while some supporters are finding ways to whinging about how we should've won by 100 points today.

They just looked like a top side from start to finish.

Looking forward to carlton and freo games tbh. Another measuring stick

Our ability to defend is exceptional at the moment. If you watch closely it's similar to the 08 cluster but Sam's using rotations in a very nuanced way. I'm sure oppo teams have picked up on it but stopping it is proving to be difficult.
The team has been talking about predictable to each other. If you read between the lines, it's predictability to the game style that's driving us forward
Yep I have been watching this defensive system improve week after week. The win over Gws was the clincher for me. Lids been off since then. As Sam said we look like a tough team out there. Gonna take a team playing really well to defeat us.

Our ability to defend is exceptional at the moment. If you watch closely it's similar to the 08 cluster but Sam's using rotations in a very nuanced way. I'm sure oppo teams have picked up on it but stopping it is proving to be difficult.
The team has been talking about predictable to each other. If you read between the lines, it's predictability to the game style that's driving us forward
Wrote something for HI not long ago which was about the new structure, it’s similar but definitely his own thing. Would also come from his time in the UK with the Spurs. It is quite a new aged way of defending and shaping around contest. It uses things like diamonds and triangles around and behind the ball to create evenness and spread aswell as a squeeze and rotation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back