Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Hawks cook the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I always watch the opposition coach’s post match reports. I think they tell more truth about our team… even more so than own coach.

Simmo was 100% clear… the Hawks dominated in all parts of the game with Yeo allowed grace and McGovern and Barrass being their only winners. Simmo said, the Hawks outworked his team. This is what we all thought our team was about in the first 5 weeks of the year… and now it is happening.

The idea of the Hawks being predictable for their teammates shone in this game. How can one team combine in the stoppages like the Hawks did without each player knowing the others intent. It was near double stoppage wins for the Hawks. That is ridiculous.

Until Sunday I did not understand how the pies won a flag with such a weak squad. Now I know. The Hawks are building that same style of knowledge but with a much better squad.

There will be hic-ups… but I am loving what is happening. I hope the Hawks make the finals but I do not expect it.

Watching these boys become a solid group that could win a premiership… now that is joyful to watch.

Last edited:
Ahh I love Dwayne. Listen to him sometimes during the week when I can. He loves the hawks, has a weirdly interesting wealth of knowledge and is a man of the people who will give anyone the time of day. He throws out some great lines during play...what was it today about a plural of groups. I can't remember...anyone?
It was murmuration, which from memory is when huge flocks of starlings fly around swirling patterns. I thought it was odd at the time. In fact, it's still odd.

Losing Brocky has been a blessing in disguise - 7 touches yesterday and he still hasn't kicked a goal yet this season.
That is just mean… the ball rarely got near Brocky’s part of the field…. and Oscar Allen, who we all know to be good, barely touched the ball.
It was sad to see Brocky leave the Hawks… calling it a blessing is a partisan comment I do not like.

Do I see a shade of “unjustifiable pleasure at someone else’s misfortune”: new word: Schadenjoy. Meaning: Sharden = harm or damage… and Joy. grumbleguts … Our other newly created words did not quite work but this one … wow… should exist! Thoughts?

Last edited:

It was murmuration, which from memory is when huge flocks of starlings fly around swirling patterns. I thought it was odd at the time. In fact, it's still odd.
But it is still correct. A murmuration IS a flock of Birds that move in unison… like the Hawks were doing against the Eagles.

It may be an odd word for the general public (including me as I had to look it up) but it is correct.

Last edited:
But it is still correct. A murmuration IS a flock of Birds that move in unison… like the Hawks were doing against the Eagles.

It may be an odd for the general public (including me as I had to look it up) but it is correct.
An absolutely correct way to describe our midfield and funny how the other commentators had no idea what he meant 😂. The way our midfield is playing atm is truly a thing of beauty. Perhaps using a description like the “hive mind” may have been more understandable for the modern audience

An absolutely correct way to describe our midfield and funny how the other commentators had no idea what he meant 😂. The way our midfield is playing atm is truly a thing of beauty. Perhaps using a description like the “hive mind” may have been more understandable for the modern audience

It was great to watch

Talking Hawks 6 points recap

Dwayne has enabled a lot of people to add a new word to their vocabulary at the very least. Murmuration was the appropriate description of how the Hawks were able to move the ball seemingly knowing where there team mates would be like birds moving in unison.

Rounds 18-23 in 2018 we won 6 in a row. Last time we won 5+ in a row and didn't make the top 4 was in 2010.

Which actually lines up with our 2024 season quite well.

In both seasons we were 1-6 going into round 8. 2010 we won 7 in a row before losing to Geelong🤮. Finishing the season with a 12-9-1 record and finishing 7th. Both seasons we sat 8-7 at the end of round 15.
If we were playing at the G I’ll be 95% confident we’d win.
Don’t know why we’re playing them on their ground 🤔

The idea of the Hawks being predictable for their teammates shone in this game. How can one team combine in the stoppages like the Hawks did without each player knowing the others intent. It was near double stoppage wins for the Hawks. That is ridiculous.
This predictability was what really worried me in the first 7 weeks. The players looked confused about who was in and who was out of each contest. At the time I thought it was dire and wouldn't be turned around quickly. How wrong I was!

That is just mean… the ball rarely got near Brocky’s part of the field…. and Oscar Allen, who we all know to be good, barely touched the ball.
It was sad to see Brocky leave the Hawks… calling it a blessing is a partisan comment I do not like.

Do I see a shade of “unjustifiable pleasure at someone else’s misfortune”: new word: Schadenjoy. Meaning: Sharden = harm or damage… and Joy. grumbleguts … Our other newly created words did not quite work but this one … wow… should exist! Thoughts?
Schadenfreude has the same sentiment doesn't it? I do agree with the sentiment regarding Brockman and judging his performance on output is wrong without considering the opportunities.

Wrote something for HI not long ago which was about the new structure, it’s similar but definitely his own thing. Would also come from his time in the UK with the Spurs. It is quite a new aged way of defending and shaping around contest. It uses things like diamonds and triangles around and behind the ball to create evenness and spread as well as a squeeze and rotation.

The same Spurs which haven't won the Premier League since the 1960's?

I hope Mitch's visit was a very short one!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back