VFL Round 16: CASEY DEMONS vs ESSENDON Sunday 14 July, 1:05pm, Casey Fields

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall thoughts on the game:

We were better inside for the most part. We were a bit unlucky that a big 3-4 goal wind in the first to their end died about 10 minutes into the second and so they got 30 minutes of it and we got 10. Otherwise an even game after QT and it showed on the scoreboard, we got within a kick a couple of times but they were able to respond.

#5 Elijah Tsatas: Probably had the most touches. Kicking was a bit up and under at times but hands were good generally. Was a bit lethargic at times but still worked his ass off. You can tell he wants to get there.

#8 Ben Hobbs: Was his best game this year IMO. Provided a lot more energy than the last few weeks, got pulled at 3QT so wouldn't surprise me if he was in next game.

#10 Sam Weideman: Hard one to assess. His intercept game was excellent when we forced them down the line but Brown was by far their most dangerous forward.

#12 Will Setterfield: Okay. Just okay. Nothing disastrous, nothing spectacular.

#18 Lewis Hayes: Thought he was very good defensively, but not sure why he didn't move to Brown when it was clear that Weid was our intercept guy.

#24 Nick Bryan: Won most taps but jeez, Fullarton and Verrall were much stronger around the ground. Especially in the last, got outmarked playing for frees twice. Honestly would take a late third for him.

#33 Alwyn Davey jr: Pressure poor. Was dangerous at times but needed to show a lot more intent for me.

#34 Luamon Lual: Kicking was the best I've seen it this year. Got outfoxed by McAdam and Billings a couple of times but overall much better than last week.

#36 Jayden Dacey: First quarter average (but Tomlinson was marking everything so not much chance). Middle part of the game he was good and kicked 3. Last quarter he was gassed.

#38 Archie Roberts: Our best for me. Ran hard and used his left boot aggressively. Don't know what the stats say but he was very good.

#39 Vigo Visentini: Really competed strongly down the line. Kicked 1 but could have had 2 or 3 I reckon.

#40 Tex Wanganeen: He was good without being great. His kicking was nice but Bailey Laurie turned him inside out a couple of times and he was on the pine a lot.

#47 Jye Menzie: I thought he was the most creative of our forwards. Defensive pressure was kinda there but didn't lay a tackle (though a couple of nice smothers)

I think Tomlinson will end up at another club.

We were better inside for the most part. We were a bit unlucky that a big 3-4 goal wind in the first to their end died about 10 minutes into the second and so they got 30 minutes of it and we got 10. Otherwise an even game after QT and it showed on the scoreboard, we got within a kick a couple of times but they were able to respond.

#5 Elijah Tsatas: Probably had the most touches. Kicking was a bit up and under at times but hands were good generally. Was a bit lethargic at times but still worked his ass off. You can tell he wants to get there.

#8 Ben Hobbs: Was his best game this year IMO. Provided a lot more energy than the last few weeks, got pulled at 3QT so wouldn't surprise me if he was in next game.

#10 Sam Weideman: Hard one to assess. His intercept game was excellent when we forced them down the line but Brown was by far their most dangerous forward.

#18 Lewis Hayes: Thought he was very good defensively, but not sure why he didn't move to Brown when it was clear that Weid was our intercept guy.

#24 Nick Bryan: Won most taps but jeez, Fullarton and Verrall were much stronger around the ground. Especially in the last, got outmarked playing for frees twice. Honestly would take a late third for him.

#33 Alwyn Davey jr: Pressure poor. Was dangerous at times but needed to show a lot more intent for me.

#34 Luamon Lual: Kicking was the best I've seen it this year. Got outfoxed by McAdam and Billings a couple of times but overall much better than last week.

#36 Jayden Dacey: First quarter average (but Tomlinson was marking everything so not much chance). Middle part of the game he was good and kicked 3. Last quarter he was gassed.

#38 Archie Roberts: Our best for me. Ran hard and used his left boot aggressively. Don't know what the stats say but he was very good.

#39 Vigo Visentini: Really competed strongly down the line. Kicked 1 but could have had 2 or 3 I reckon.

#40 Tex Wanganeen: He was good without being great. His kicking was nice but Bailey Laurie turned him inside out a couple of times and he was on the pine a lot.

#47 Jye Menzie: I thought he was the most creative of our forwards. Defensive pressure was kinda there but didn't lay a tackle (though a couple of nice smothers)

Was Matthew Jefferson out there today?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elijah Tsatas was the leading ballwinner with 31 disposals as well as a game-high 14 clearances, while Ben Hobbs impressed with 27 touches.

Jayden Davey (11 disposals) and Jye Menzie (12) kicked three goals each.

Will Setterfield was busy with 22 touches, with Lewis Hayes (19) and Archie Roberts (21) similarly active.

Nick Bryan dominated at the bounces, finishing with 53 hitouts and eight disposals.

Former Demon Sam Weideman had 12 touches, Alwyn Davey jnr kicked a goal to go with 15 disposals, and Vigo Visentini also slotting one goal.

Second round draftee Luamon Lual did his bit with 16 touches, with Tex Wanganeen also finding the ball 16 times.

Strange old game. Tsatas and O’Neill with 52 stats combined didn’t have anywhere near the impact of the 12 stat game from Menzie.

Hobbs really good, Roberts solid and Hayes bounced back a bit after a couple of just okay weeks

Is Archie Roberts ready for the step up to the firsts do you think? Not sure who he would replace, but I think there are 2 or 3 from the seniors that could use a run in the seconds.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Round 16: CASEY DEMONS vs ESSENDON Sunday 14 July, 1:05pm, Casey Fields

Remove this Banner Ad

Back