Opinion Round 16 Changes vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't we beat Hawthorn last year here? Sounds like we haven't beaten them for 10 years. Sure, they have had our measure more than any other side (probable scenario for another 15 teams too, bar Geelong, given Hawthorn's success). People crap on that we beat them last year because they didn't have Roughead playing... well they didn't have him on Sunday and it wasn't an issue for them. Maybe venue, conditions and other factors helped?

You play 23 rounds to get into the best position you can come Sept ... then the finals play out. Who meets who where, injuries, suspensions, form, fitness all play a part then. We may not play Hawthorn at all, we may play them at Subi, Eagles might play them ... Sydney. Who the hell knows? I'm not going to have some wussy, hissy fit saying we are no chance this year and this team will never win a GF (even if it does play out that way). We could possibly beat Hawthorn, Sydney, Eagles in Sept/ Oct if things go our way.

Exactly! I tried to say the same about 11 pages ago!....Sometimes the best way to get back into some good form is to aim to completely demolish a weaker side. Get some momentum back.
I think we tried to do that against Gold Coast and Brisbane. What do we do if we can't demolish Carlton?

What do you think is going to change to make us better this week?

How on earth did Geelong have the wood on the Hawks for so long... Discipline and Execution..

How on earth did Geelong have the wood on the Hawks for so long... Discipline and Execution..

Mostly mental IMO. The amount of times they beat them by under a kick or two demonstrates that, Hawthorn basically shat the bed when the match was there for the taking whilst the Geelong players relished the moment. It's not like Hawthorn were lacking in either discipline or execution either.

When we beat Hawthorn last year, we had arguably a weaker team than the one playing at the moment - no McPharlin, Ballantyne, Walters first game in months, Fyfe was kept quiet. We had Sutty, Crozier, Tabs, Duffield, Duffy, Mzungu, Clarke in the side.

Main differences were Mundy, Barlow, Hill all stood up as did Pav. We had some key defenders in Dawson, Johnno and Silvagni in the side and Hawks weren't quite on their game. Change in form and venue and the results were stark compared to the weekend - we matched them in clearances and tackles, dominated I50's and possession (including contested possessions). We won our fair share (and some) of frees and won the game pretty easily (I think I recall them getting 2 or 3 in junktime)

On the weekend in Tassie we saw the reverse possession wise, free kick wise, I50 wise etc. Our 2014 team didn't have better personnel though, just better form from us and not so much from them.

Mostly mental IMO. The amount of times they beat them by under a kick or two demonstrates that, Hawthorn basically shat the bed when the match was there for the taking whilst the Geelong players relished the moment. It's not like Hawthorn were lacking in either discipline or execution either.

IMO at start of 2013 GF they looked shaky, we missed goals and they got confidence up. Swans nailed them in 12. Since 13 GF they have looked invincible when they put their minds to it, but as Geelong know in 08 when if I recall only lost two games Hawks gotem when it counted. Where in this , got sty focused.

I think we tried to do that against Gold Coast and Brisbane. What do we do if we can't demolish Carlton?

What do you think is going to change to make us better this week?
Firstly...if we cant demolish the Blues, then i think a big ? hangs over our heads in terms of hunger.
The change this week, hopefully will be that hunger, that gets our gut running back and our ability to break thru lines.

Our inability to move the ball from our defensive 50 is partly due to Johnson missing. But it's because we don't have a left foot release in the back line. A left sided handball doesn't count (Dawson). Dropping Stephen Hill to the HBF gives us that left foot release but it also robs us of our best inside 50 kick.

Crozier to a HBF? Something a bit different that gives the team a left footer on a different line.

Our inability to move the ball from our defensive 50 is partly due to Johnson missing. But it's because we don't have a left foot release in the back line. A left sided handball doesn't count (Dawson). Dropping Stephen Hill to the HBF gives us that left foot release but it also robs us of our best inside 50 kick.

Crozier to a HBF? Something a bit different that gives the team a left footer on a different line.

Hilly to the HBF and Croz to run through the middle (his natural position) makes a hell of a lot more sense to me.

That's 40% more chance I'd like
Solution?

ronaldo%20copy%20copy.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back