Opinion Round 16 Changes vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless something changes regarding team selection and playing favourites I see this season heading towards being one of the biggest disappointments ever.
Promising so much and looking like grand final certainties to now playing like we are, is hugely upsetting.
The urgency and teamwork has disappeared.
Form displayed in crawling over the line against middle order teams will not get us into the Grand Final.
I am certainly no expert on football tactics, team structures, game plan or any of the nuances in our game but what I do know, in sport, business or every day life:
You reward good effort and results
If it doesn't work, then doing the same thing over and over again, more likely it still won't work.
If you are given a chance and don't grab it someone else should be given the opportunity.
Don't play favourites.

When will everyone get over playing the rookies even against an apparent lesser team like Carlton. It could have been argued that Brisbane and Gold Coast were lesser teams but we sent our best 22 and only just got over the line. Currently our form doesn't allow us the luxury of debuting a rookie unfortunately and beleive it or not it's likely they won't perform any better at the role de Boer, Suban or perennial whipping boy D Pearce. Their time will come. I'd like to see the history of debutants for teams vying for top 2 over the course of a season.

Nobody knows if they will be better/worse than Suban/DeBoer ... that's the whole point. The incumbents give us basically nothing, we need to explore the possibility that someone else will be a better option. Who is to say that Weller and Blakeley couldn't perform? There's been plenty of rookies who have done about as much as Suban, such as Brayshaw, Duggan, Heeney, DeGoey, Miller, Lonie, Gregson, Daniel, etc.

There are other things to consider. We might be gunning for a flag, but you still have to think about the future. Giving a chance to kids who have performed at WAFL level ... it rewards their effort, gives them a boost, lets them know what an AFL game is like, etc. It's called development. It can also give the team a spark and some enthusiasm. Though we saw Ross obviously doesn't give a shit about that with his dropping of Simpson.

As for Mzungu, I just don't get it. He's not the best player, but he is still better than Sheridan, Suban and DeBoer. I don't give a shit if they supposedly play different roles ... whatever roles these guys have is not exactly important, because they don't impact games positively.

Whats the average age for the team now that Sutcliffe, Taberner, Crozier are in with A.Pearce, Neale, Sheridan??

Interesting that Clancee is out. He was doing really well at the start of the year and I think he was doing pretty good recently also?

Clarke for griff is good. REALLY hope griff can kick a few goals.
Duffield for Suttcliffe is meh, neither has really impressed at afl. Although fully confident Duffield >>> Suttcliffe
Crozier for C.Pearce is weird. C.Pearce been playing well i thought, hoping Croz can fire
Taberner for Muz is ok. Hoping Tabs can stay back in the team.

Clancee is suffering general soreness after the battering he has had over the last few weeks .I think RTB is giving him a rest to get his body right after all we are playing Carlton at home .

When will everyone get over playing the rookies even against an apparent lesser team like Carlton. It could have been argued that Brisbane and Gold Coast were lesser teams but we sent our best 22 and only just got over the line.
That says something doesn't it?

That the best 22 isn't actually at its best?

Stupid changes. No statements made against big names who aren't pulling their weight, and dropping one of the blokes who's actually over achieved this season. This is the reason we're treading water the last 6 weeks or so. Very quickly starting to lose faith in Lyon beyond this year.
Who do you mean here?

Unless something changes regarding team selection and playing favourites I see this season heading towards being one of the biggest disappointments ever.
Promising so much and looking like grand final certainties to now playing like we are, is hugely upsetting.
The urgency and teamwork has disappeared.
Form displayed in crawling over the line against middle order teams will not get us into the Grand Final.
I am certainly no expert on football tactics, team structures, game plan or any of the nuances in our game but what I do know, in sport, business or every day life:
You reward good effort and results
If it doesn't work, then doing the same thing over and over again, more likely it still won't work.
If you are given a chance and don't grab it someone else should be given the opportunity.
Don't play favourites.
2007 takes that title and owns it.. Promised so much after 06 Prelim then failed miserably after we got Tarrant and Solomon..
Got 6-7 games left to click this season. Ballas hasn't go past 1st gear, Stephen Hill has dropped a bit as well as Walters been up and down.

Those not pulling their weight - Mayne, Ballantyne, Suban, De Boer, Sheridan and whichever support ruckman is selected. Clancee has been named for Peel, so not being rested.

good changes, no real statement made though, i presume ross is going to give suban a full game to give him one last chance to prove himself.

With Clancee being injured \concussed RTB and the selectors had no choice but to include Suban in the team .
De-boer won't have a tagging roll with Gibbs out so the only reason he stays in the team is insurance for Suban .
Mzungu is out because Sutcliffe had a very good game for Peel and earn't his way back into the team .
TBH Mzungu should have retained his position and De boer should have been dropped .
If I was going to reward effort and work rate as well as quality Blakely should have been in this team .
Anyone thinking that Hannath should be playing in the league team any time soon hasn't been watching him in any of the Peel games .
I'm very happy that Griffin is back in the team . When he did his ACL I thought that would be his last game for us but he has worked his guts out and its testament to his desire and strength of character .
The clincher for him was the 3 goals from contested marks for Peel as well as his ruck work .

Go this feeling Lyon will make a late change and Weller or Blakely will debut at a forward flank.
Yeah I've got a feeling one of the emergencies will be a late inclusion for a debut too, maybe Tabs out due to the weather being shitty again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I am going to be alone on this view.... Freo should of been rotating kids in the Forward flank since round 1. We could of played guys like Weller, Blakely, even Grey as mentioned. There would of been 2 huge positives out of this. One positive was we would of tried youth. The other was we could of, not saying it would of been certain, got a goal scoring mid kicking 10-15 goals in 4-6 games. Hell I have a 3rd one: If they buther their kicks in the forward 50, its better than stuffing it up in the back 50 metre arc. I rather see Grey get 10-15 disposals in the forward flank than Suban getting 10-15 disposals in the middle.
Not on your own Freomaniac, I think many of us agree. Unfortunately, Ross doesn't! :)

2007 takes that title and owns it.. Promised so much after 06 Prelim then failed miserably after we got Tarrant and Solomon..
Got 6-7 games left to click this season. Ballas hasn't go past 1st gear, Stephen Hill has dropped a bit as well as Walters been up and down.
Up to now yes.
But could you imagine IF our current form continues and we miss out on top 2 then go out in straight sets and the Eagles somehow make the Grand Final then I think that would be worse.
I have faith that this will not happen but we really need to find some form selection wise and on the field.

Blakely won't debut this season.

He shot himself in the foot a few weeks ago when he stated he didn't think he was ready for AFL and had a lot to learn.

An ultra conservative coach isn't going to take a punt on a youngster who freely admits he's not ready.

He would have been instructed to say that by the club.

Players don't get to decide what they say to the media, look at what happened to McPharlin.

The big out that should happen for me is Sumich as our forward coach .
Pavlich needs to be reminded by RTB that the reason we were scoring better in the first 8 games was because he was playing closer to the goals and not to go hunting the ball on the wings and center bounce downs .
When he goes up the ground the opposition keeps an extra man back which means Ballas and Walters have to compete with tall defenders as well as their immediate opponent .

.Clancee has been named for Peel, so not being rested.

Ok, now I'm pretty ****ing annoyed. How the hell does Suban keeping getting a free pass? Clancee has a couple of quieter games and is immediately out the door, Mzungu twice booted after one game and Nic Suban, who Ross himself concedes isn't worthy of starting in the 21 shown by his frequent sub selection, has now played 14 consecutive games. Two, by my count, have been what you could call "good" games and they were in the first couple of months.

300zeyx.gif

Ok, now I'm pretty ******* annoyed. How the hell does Suban keeping getting a free pass? Clancee has a couple of quieter games and is immediately out the door, Mzungu twice booted after one game and Nic Suban, who Ross himself concedes isn't worthy of starting in the 21 shown by his frequent sub selection, has now played 14 consecutive games. Two, by my count, have been what you could call "good" games and they were in the first couple of months.

300zeyx.gif

Suban actually last played in the WAFL in round 16, 2012. So it's a lot more than 7 consecutive games he's played. He hasn't been dropped for nearly 3 years. He has only missed games through injury or suspension.

Suban actually last played in the WAFL in round 16, 2012. So it's a lot more than 7 consecutive games he's played. He hasn't been dropped for nearly 3 years. He has only missed games through injury or suspension.

I'm gonna need a bigger gif.

That's a pretty flipping scary / depressing thought given how ****ing bog average he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back