Preview Round 16: Essendon v Geelong - MCG - Country Game Apparently - Saturday 29th June - 7:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Hind might have been squeezed to keep Caddy in with Jones rotating through the wing. Caddy's first game under lights at G may have been a deciding factor. Shouldn't have been though. Trust match committee.

Don't really like it but Scott been good so far, so benefit of the doubt.

I see Jones on the wing more and if no injuries goldy swapped out early in the 4th for a small sub. I really think jones/Cox are being developed into tall utility, can play wing, key back or fwd If injuries happen.

I really dislike two rucks and Wright. So I think if we are playing two rucks Wright and Jones need to fire. Maybe wrights last chance, no ruck time and fwd line, so no excuses. I can cop playing two rucks but then we need to drop Wright if he struggles. Can't have 3 200cm blokes not taking marks.

Caddy can replace Jones, Wright, Langford and just a bit unlucky that we have a full selection of rucks and fwds to choose from.

Think we win but be if we do lose and either of the ruckman, Wright or Jones have a bad game then it failed, Scott made a bad call and caddy has to come in.

Only knock on Scott is he is a lot harder on young players then experienced players.

Might just be he prefers a slow, less talented structure player over a highly talented, x factor who is still learning the finer details of afl.

I personally think the good teams still find ways to sprinkle the rough diamonds in there for the intangibles of youth and excitement they bring. Only real knock so far is scott just doesn't find ways to get more games into youth.

Yes. We know.
Who do you think would leave this year. Byran, Hayes.

Tsatas, roberts, caddy probably understand not guaranteed games in a top four side for where they are.

Need to win 2 of next 3 and list is pretty healthy. If we drop off a lot then Scott wasted opportunities to get games into some but if we stay performing then understandable.

Should have been more a development year but results keep proving me wrong so understand if as long we are up there that Scott keeps his win now focus at selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shouldn’t influence the result IMO. Geelong’s midfield is complete trash even with Dangerfield in it.

What’ll make us lose the game is if we keep kicking it to Stewart and keep kicking behinds like we did vs Carlton.
Feel like the geelong boys have the mental edge over us, and they always rise when they play essendon knowing they have got our guys mentally. Look for guys like Atkins Duncan etc to play season best games

No, we're not.
Nah, doesn't matter if we're a young squad, he'll find a way to point out that we aren't, even though we are.

Feel like the geelong boys have the mental edge over us, and they always rise when they play essendon knowing they have got our guys mentally. Look for guys like Atkins Duncan etc to play season best games
That's true which is why I think winning this is almost the most important win of the home and away season and this new era. Geelong rose as a powerhouse team just as we crashed as a powerhouse team. For the past 20 years, they've been consistently a top team while we've been consistently a mediocre team. We've beaten them only three times during those 20 years, with most of the losses being thrashings. This'll quite literally be the first time we're heading into a game against them as favourites since our last finals win so winning this would be huge.

It's almost like an official beginning of a new era and the end of their era of dominance. Like we can finally put that behind us. But we have to win first.
A loss will solidify our doubts about our prospects.

Last edited:
That's true which is why I think winning this is almost the most important win of the home and away season and this new era. Geelong rose as a powerhouse team just as we crashed as a powerhouse team. For the past 20 years, they've been consistently a top team while we've been consistently a bad team. We've beaten the only three times during those 20 years, with most of the losses being thrashings. This'll quite literally be the first time we're heading into a game against them as favourites since our last finals win so winning this would be huge.

It's almost like an official beginning of a new era and the end of their era of dominance. Like we can finally put that behind us. But we have to win first.

Funny that the one time we have someone to play on Hawkins he's out. I'd actually prefer he played, his form was killing them

My take is this; we've exceeded even our own expectations this year. We have a strong handful of young players who could have come through this year, but the reality is that we've kept winning. If you have a winning side there's not much need to chop and change every week. Brad has done a fantastic job so far to bring out the best in many of our players, not including those we recruited; Durham, Caldwell, Merrett, Martin, Langford (though out if form currently) and Jones; and we're so close to playing finals now as well. So I see why he is set on his best 22.

There are some of us though who see that the job isn't anywhere near complete, and that the youngsters should also be part of that future. We are a developing side and shouldn't allow our ladder position to blind us from that reality. Who've we beaten? GWS at home. WB at home. That's it.

I think Brad's a 'seize the moment' guy. He sees our ladder position and believes that the best footy of his best 22 is competitive enough, and probably that those young players will get their chance. He's trying to raise the competitive standard of the whole list and I can't fault him for that. The young players need to believe they will, eventually, have what it takes to break into this side, whether this year or in the future, and that finals success is imminent; and then want to stay and be a part of that. If they don't believe in that vision they're better off going elsewhere. We'll both be better for it.

I believe we're a developing side and, especially earlier in the season, want to see the younger guys get more of a run - I want to develop them now, but I also believe in the coach. I don't see how anyone can't at the moment. Fair dinkum. He's the coach of the year at the moment, hands down.

Funny that the one time we have someone to play on Hawkins he's out. I'd actually prefer he played, his form was killing them
It would have been great to blanket Hawkins with McKay but the memory of Hawkins destroying us is too fresh. What i'm hoping to see however is Caldwell and/or Durham completely blanketing Dangerfield.

That's true which is why I think winning this is almost the most important win of the home and away season and this new era. Geelong rose as a powerhouse team just as we crashed as a powerhouse team. For the past 20 years, they've been consistently a top team while we've been consistently a mediocre team. We've beaten them only three times during those 20 years, with most of the losses being thrashings. This'll quite literally be the first time we're heading into a game against them as favourites since our last finals win so winning this would be huge.

I don't mind the mental demons. I think we're at a point where we can be confident playing against Team X could bring out our best edge.

It would have been great to blanket Hawkins with McKay but the memory of Hawkins destroying us is too fresh. What i'm hoping to see however is Caldwell and/or Durham completely blanketing Dangerfield.

Problem we seem to continually have is Oppo players exiting the front of the stoppage, last week Liam Ryan of all people took his turn, and it's dangers forte. I think when merret is on a hard tag and stringer is attacking the stoppage we lack the anchor in there while Caldwell has his hands full negating

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

GEELONG OUTS: Hawkins, Smith, Bruhn, Stanley, O. Henry, Mullin
GEELONG INS: Humphries, Tuohy, Dempsey, Neale, Clark, Knevitt

ESSENDON OUTS: Parish, Bryan, Zerk-Thatcher, Hobbs, Snelling, Menzie, Weideman
ESSENDON INS: Jones, Duursma, McKay, Goldstein, Draper, Gresham, Cox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back