Autopsy Round 17, 2022: Hawthorn wins its 1000th game with a win over the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Impey is a better forward than he is as a defender

change my mind

Disagree with that, Impeys best season at AFL was the year he did his ACL which I think was 2019. But we simply have better defenders than him in Scrimshaw, CJ and Dimma so therefore Day and Impey needed to find new roles.

Day should become a solid midfielder and defensive winger but Impey has the capability to become a solid high flanker but needs consistency as Wingard plays that role too along with Butler and Macdonald which means competition for spots.

I’m in Vietnam atm and didn’t watch the game, but I’m surprised the biggest question hasn’t been asked yet…………………

Why the white shorts as the home team?

Naidoc week. Both teams wore indigenous jumpers. Adelaides was designed as a home strip and ours was designed so we wouldn't clash with Brisbane.

Just the way it worked out.

He just continues his early form. A Chris Mew clone. Does not make a mistake. Nice to have a KPD who can close down if he is getting midfield support. Most of it happens in the centre or around the contest. Much better when we are at least breaking square.

Blanck reminds me so much of Simon Prestigiacomo.

A strong, committed and dour defender with elite closing speed you don't normally see with guys that size.

With all the rebounding and intercept defenders we have, he could be an absolute godsend to our list. An incredibly promising first three games.

Last edited:
Disagree with that, Impeys best season at AFL was the year he did his ACL which I think was 2019. But we simply have better defenders than him in Scrimshaw, CJ and Dimma so therefore Day and Impey needed to find new roles.

Day should become a solid midfielder and defensive winger but Impey has the capability to become a solid high flanker but needs consistency as Wingard plays that role too along with Butler and Macdonald which means competition for spots.
Impey can play everywhere which helps, he's a composed good kick, a good leap and mark, has good pace. He is someone you can put anywhere, where it's needed.

Day will become a star level mid, probably wing till then, where he can float fwd and back and use his class and decision making.

Impey can play everywhere which helps, he's a composed good kick, a good leap and mark, has good pace. He is someone you can put anywhere, where it's needed.

Day will become a star level mid, probably wing till then, where he can float fwd and back and use his class and decision making.
Day and Amon on the two wings……yum !!!!

It was nice to see Moore add another string to his bow, he’s just a solid footballer wherever he plays. It gave our centre bounces a different mix and we looked better for it too.

It seems like when teams get on top of us at clearances like they did in the third quarter they setup with extras behind their ruckman which allows them to link up well and get easy clearances, I would like us to go one on one when teams get a run on against us.

Also Lewis’s first half was as dominant a key forward has been for us for many years, it was a pleasure to watch. He looked sore in the second half and our delivery wasn’t near as good but he was still battling it out.

Kosi is struggling with his marking, seems to juggle or drop ones he really should be taking, needs to improve this side of his game but it was nice to see him really try and influence the contest in that last quarter.
Was pivotal in a few of our scores in the last.

Great game of footy, just trying to erase the third from my memory.

That Nash run down tackle on Smith and the desperate Moore smother is why I watch football.
The positive for the third was that we only conceded 2 goals and not 12. I know it's only Adelaide, but to finally manage a momentum swing was a relief for me and my TV remote

Nice to get a win
Mitch, JOM, Moore, Newk all good

Be nice to finish off the season on a high but not too high

CJ needs to work on his disposal - no point going for a run if it results in a turnover and comes back in just as quick

Disappointing third quarter - came out really flat and the energy had completely disappeared and it’s happened a few times this season. The good news is that it was Adelaide and they were able to halt the run on

Anyway, it’s a win and that’s a nice way to end a shit weekend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CJ needs to work on his disposal - no point going for a run if it results in a turnover and comes back in just as quick
He needed to give the hands to Wardy on that one just before the siren, and Wardy told him as much when the siren rang.

Love Moore in the midfield. We may have solved a piece of the puzzle there.

We walk taller with BB there too.

JOM really played like a leader.

Breust was all class.

Jai good early, but faded.

Hardwick just gets it done every week.

Ward looked class.
CJ back in form.
Blanck is a find.
Lewis amazing.

A lot to like.
Most importantly, we responded after being gassed.
May have been conserving a bit in the 3rd. Potentially a new strategy as we're clearly not fit enough to preform for 4 quarters as yet.

Great result. Thought Moore and Newcombe were superb. Amon and the blokes out will make a difference, no more than two quality hard nose Mids. Hope we throw the kitchen sink at Brayshaw, then play him as a clearance mid. Any way I dream.
I hope we don’t do any of that and continue to rebuild through the draft.

Disagree, his best year was 2016, when he was moved to the forward line at Port earning himself 3 Brownlow votes and winning the Gavin Wanganeen Medal as Port Adelaide's best player under 21.

He needed to give the hands to Wardy on that one just before the siren, and Wardy told him as much when the siren rang.
Indeed. Not that he needs to work on his disposal, sometimes he just jets without assessing whether there's actually an option and his only instinct at the end of those runs is just to kick. If he can attack with a bit more thought he will be great.

Good write up in the HUN on why we all love Hardwick so much:

"Hawks people are amazed that Blake Hardwick is never in the discussion for All-Australian selection. They have a point. This year the nugget small defender has kept Toby Greene goalless, Cody Weightman goalless, Izak Rankine to one goal and Bayley Fritsch goalless. All up, and give or take a goal or two, Hardwick, according to Champion Data, has given up only 12 goals to his direct opponents in 16 games this year. That’s sensational defending in a team that has won five games and is ranked 16th for points against."

Experienced heads all played well, resulting in a win - all of Sis, Hardwick, TOM, JOM, Bruest played well. Morisson really belonging, Ward starting to show his composure, and by far Impey’s best game of the year.

Morris probably the one that struggled a little to adjust his disposal to the pace of the game, but good to see him get a good run at it. Some hard attack on the ball.

All around pleasing performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 17, 2022: Hawthorn wins its 1000th game with a win over the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back