Review Round 17, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mike Whiting. I was looking for how to contact him, but i don’t do twitter.
Give Mike the benefit of wanting to remain impartial (unlike the TV commentators who are typically highlighting any incident and calling for weeks.
Rewatch the incident - Rankine stops, looks at him, the launches into him. A bit different to Fish’s explanation!

My brain hasn't been on this weekend, of course Fish would have written this - didn't even cross my mind! Absolutely no shade at Fish who I love and who would have been working to a deadline for the article.

???

There's no comparison . One's a negligent accident the other's assault with intent probably chargeable by the police

Rubbish.

My point was, Gaff was trying to shake someone, his arm rode up, and we saw the outcome. I don't think for a minute he meant to whack him in the face, but he had to pay a price for the outcome.

Rankine has initiated the contact, and concussed someone in the process. Don't think you can call it an "accident". He's surely getting a holiday, as a consequence of the outcome.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread...........

Did what we had to do tonight. Still think we're trying to get our offensive/defensive balance right. The overlap run they (and other teams prior) were able to generate was a bit of a worry - this being a consequence of trying to open up going forward IMO. Thought we also did well limiting Dawson and Hinge.

Thought most of our forwards had an "almost night". Besides the obvious (Neale, Dunkley), thought Oscar had a good game overall (some of his tap work was great), Ashcroft got better as the night went on (as others have said), and Andrews was pretty good.

Putting the actual incident to one side, I reckon Starcevich was having a really good game to that point - would have been interesting to see how that would have played out over 4 qtrs.

Hope Rayner can tidy up the fumbles - he's becoming more and more fumbly by the week (knowing how clean he can be at times, too).

Rubbish.

My point was, Gaff was trying to shake someone, his arm rode up, and we saw the outcome. I don't think for a minute he meant to whack him in the face, but he had to pay a price for the outcome.

Rankine has initiated the contact, and concussed someone in the process. Don't think you can call it an "accident". He's surely getting a holiday, as a consequence of the outcome.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread...........

Did what we had to do tonight. Still think we're trying to get our offensive/defensive balance right. The overlap run they (and other teams prior) were able to generate was a bit of a worry - this being a consequence of trying to open up going forward IMO. Thought we also did well limiting Dawson and Hinge.

Thought most of our forwards had an "almost night". Besides the obvious (Neale, Dunkley), thought Oscar had a good game overall (some of his tap work was great), Ashcroft got better as the night went on (as others have said), and Andrews was pretty good.

Putting the actual incident to one side, I reckon Starcevich was having a really good game to that point - would have been interesting to see how that would have played out over 4 qtrs.

Hope Rayner can tidy up the fumbles - he's becoming more and more fumbly by the week (knowing how clean he can be at times, too).
Quite honestly are you watching the same thing ? Gaff whacked him in the face with full force and broke his jaw miles off the ball.

Bit speechless on your take.

Big wrap from Fagan for Wilmots job on Rankine when Rankine went forward so Wilmot to play the more defensive role of Starce? Beecken plays as an attacking back flanker to fill in Darcy's position. Brain wouldn't look out of place either.
I think Beecken and Brain are both up to Senor footy.

Concerning Rankine, he almost certainly wouldn't have intended to cause Starc to be concussed but you can say the same about any illegal bump/action by any other player in any other circumstances that results in that outcome.

It's crystal clear

Intent is irrelevant.

If you chose to bump AND you cause head trauma, you suffer the consequences.

The fact that this was an off the ball incident just makes it worse IMO.

I actually like Rankine but if he gets anything less than 3 weeks for this, then the AFL's "concern" about concussion will look like a sick joke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite honestly are you watching the same thing ? Gaff whacked him in the face with full force and broke his jaw miles off the ball.

Bit speechless on your take.

OK, maybe I'll use a different example (I used Gaff as I'm not sure he meant to whack Brayshaw in the jaw, but it was the outcome).

Try Caminiti on Murphy last year. Caminiti didn't mean to get him in the head, but that was the outcome, and he paid the price. "Shows of strength" happen all the time - this was another where the unintended outcome meant there was a consequence.

Guess the point I'm trying to make is I felt you were downplaying what Rankine did (?). Whether similar occurs during the game or not, he'll surely pay the price for the outcome.

Do you think Rankine will get a holiday?

Concerning Rankine, he almost certainly wouldn't have intended to cause Starc to be concussed but you can say the same about any illegal bump/action by any other player in any other circumstances that results in that outcome.

It's crystal clear

Intent is irrelevant.

If you chose to bump AND you cause head trauma, you suffer the consequences.

The fact that this was an off the ball incident just makes it worse IMO.

I actually like Rankine but if he gets anything less than 3 weeks for this, then the AFL's "concern" about concussion will look like a sick joke
I reckon Cripps was worse even though it was in play. Sort of.

But I'd be surprised if Rankine didn't get 2 . He seemed shocked at the way Starc went down and was out of action himself mentally for a while . But seeing he initiated it he's got a big problem with the outcome.

Surely too far back and Cripps/Daicos are Melbourne darlings.
Such is the beauty of the Brownlow - it’s an umpire voted medal, not media. Further, Cripps/Daicos can only get votes in games they play in, so can’t take votes away from Lachie (or any other player) unless we play them.
Lachie has been rarely been outside the top-3 players in Lions games this season (other than our awful losses). He’ll be near the top of the Brownlow voting.

As for being too far back - we’ve won 7 out of the last 9 games, more wins than Collingwood and Bulldogs, and 7 games to go. Plenty of votes available if Lachie keeps playing as he has been, and the Lions keep winning!

Last edited:
OK, maybe I'll use a different example (I used Gaff as I'm not sure he meant to whack Brayshaw in the jaw, but it was the outcome).

Try Caminiti on Murphy last year. Caminiti didn't mean to get him in the head, but that was the outcome, and he paid the price. "Shows of strength" happen all the time - this was another where the unintended outcome meant there was a consequence.

Guess the point I'm trying to make is I felt you were downplaying what Rankine did (?). Whether similar occurs during the game or not, he'll surely pay the price for the outcome.

Do you think Rankine will get a holiday?
I said he'd get a holiday in the first place.

My observation was there wasn't much in it and you see the same thing often in games if you get the benefit of the aerial view. In fact often with a lot more force.

My selfish hope is that he gets out of it because we don't play them again and we want them to beat other teams

I said he'd get a holiday in the first place.

My observation was there wasn't much in it and you see the same thing often in games if you get the benefit of the aerial view. In fact often with a lot more force.

My selfish hope is that he gets out of it because we don't play them again and we want them to beat other teams

OK - gotcha.

I agree that there's been plenty worse, but as soon as there's head contact, all bets are off.

We move on 👍

I reckon Cripps was worse even though it was in play. Sort of.

But I'd be surprised if Rankine didn't get 2 . He seemed shocked at the way Starc went down and was out of action himself mentally for a while . But seeing he initiated it he's got a big problem with the outcome.
Cripps on Cal WAS actually much worse.

There was palpable malicious intent.

Amazing how there were some spinning a totally fallacious line about it being a "marking contest" when it was clearly nothing of the sort,.

It still infuriates me that Cripps "won" the Brownlow that year on the back of a technical legal point.

Thought that last year as well. He's at the same odds as he was going into the night.
Honestly on second thought and looking at the brownlow predictor, which got him spot on last year, I'm going to change my view to he could do it but will need to come in with a sail.

Partner is away for work so solo parenting and only got to watch the replay after the toddler went to bed. That was a definite gritty win. Happy just to lock away another win at this point in the year.

Disliked the crows top. Both teams with blue tops is dumb. The AFL is shocking for clash strips

Again I hate how we use the sub. If Morris needs a break then just rest him. Playing a third tall as a sub is tactically a poor decision. No idea why we are so bad at it. Although once Morris was on I love his inside 50 delivery. Smart ball user.

Neale, Dunkley and Oscar were a massive part of that win. Absolutely dominant from the middle. Absolute please again watching Neale play.

Really liked the Ah Chee forward tag. Completely tagged Hinge out of the game and then shut down Dawson after they tried to get him involved. Kicked a nice goal and just an underrated game. So many of the rest of the forward line had a poor game. So many burnt leads and poor decisions

Small forwards once again our big Achilles heel. Losing Starc when he was having a good game is an issue. With Answerth out we don't have any natural replacement. Might take another shuffle

Back