Review Round 17, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Partner is away for work so solo parenting and only got to watch the replay after the toddler went to bed. That was a definite gritty win. Happy just to lock away another win at this point in the year.

Disliked the crows top. Both teams with blue tops is dumb. The AFL is shocking for clash strips

Again I hate how we use the sub. If Morris needs a break then just rest him. Playing a third tall as a sub is tactically a poor decision. No idea why we are so bad at it. Although once Morris was on I love his inside 50 delivery. Smart ball user.

Neale, Dunkley and Oscar were a massive part of that win. Absolutely dominant from the middle. Absolute please again watching Neale play.

Really liked the Ah Chee forward tag. Completely tagged Hinge out of the game and then shut down Dawson after they tried to get him involved. Kicked a nice goal and just an underrated game. So many of the rest of the forward line had a poor game. So many burnt leads and poor decisions

Small forwards once again our big Achilles heel. Losing Starc when he was having a good game is an issue. With Answerth out we don't have any natural replacement. Might take another shuffle
Cal closed down Lever last week as well.

I really like the idea of a forward tag for us especially if Charlie can hit some form and Rayner can charge into stoppages.

Obviously a lot depends on the opposition. Its worked well the last 2 weeks.

i know others would have stronger memories of the fab 4 than me, but neale is surely tracking in the right direction to be in the conversation for the greatest brisbane lion of all time
It will be hard, if not impossible to top Voss for Lachie. Voss’ intangibles and leadership made him a greater player than the stats. Having said that Lachie is pretty damn close IMO.

Well I agree with that .But there didn't seem much in it . Just fluked a bad outcome from something you see many times every week.

Precedent has been set, 3-4 weeks. Starce will miss 2 games most likely, he should be playing before Starce.

Hear me out. Genuine thought.

Joe was on tonight. I actually liked his game and almost gave him votes. I think we saw enlightened Joe.

His issue tonight was (1) struggling to kick the ball good (2) thinking too many moves ahead using enlightened Joe brain. If you put Joe's brain in anyone else's head they'd be bed ridden and unable to move.
The shake and bake he did with a fend off or two was just insane for a 200cm guy to pull off.

THE GOOD

Winning Ugly - better than the alternative. And we did hold them at bay after getting that early lead. Never felt comfortable as a viewer but we always had the response

Neale and Dunkley - great double act in a rich vein of form

Our Player Shutdowns - Dawson did very little. Rankine threatened but didn’t break out. Wilmot and Ah Chee committed

Destiny in our hands - pies game mcg suddenly winnable. Ditto swans gabba. Gotta avoid the wce banana peel. Please don’t sack Simpson!

THE BAD

Hot and Cold - yes we held them at bay but could have put them away. Other sides are indeed spluttering but would like us to be comfortable at the gabba occasionally!

Team Defence - so much space when they came out of defence. We kept going at the ballwinner and leaving a free bloke behind. Under 12s stuff. Defence way too leaky atm

Lester - looked like he got outmarked a lot. Walker plays relatively tall but he is only 1cm taller. Just kept getting out of position. 3 tall set-up has troubled us the past 2 weeks. Now we have darling, allen, waterman!

THE UGLY

Goalkicking - god it was bad. Will cost us soon if we don’t improve, got away with it the last 2 weeks

Overall not too displeased. Crows player attacking footy and kicked well. They seemed motivated.

Just HAVE to win against west coast this week and set ourselves up for a huge clash v sydney. Good old fashioned gabba 1.10pm start!

Oscar Allen has hit form again. Reid been very quiet since suspension. Probably get the media whack this week and be fired up.

McGovern would have to be a major doubt off to hospital after a big hit

???

There's no comparison . One's a negligent accident the other's assault with intent probably chargeable by the police
They’re both chargeable by the police aren’t they? I can’t just shirtfront someone who isn’t expecting it in the street.

Rankine saw Starce after the match but wouldn’t go over and shake his hand.

Even I’m not that much of a coward. Dumb grub.

Was some real old school dirty football. Was getting beaten comfortably by him, got frustrated, so took him out off the ball.

If Parker got 6 weeks Rankine needs that minimum.

I'd always felt like while Dunkley has been a great acquisition for us, he hasn't fully reached his potential as a footballer (had quite a disappointing finals series last year).

His last three weeks however have been close to his best stretch of three games I think he's had for us.

Genuinely I think Berry moving into the middle more has balanced our midfield, allowing Dunkley to focus on his own game rather than shutting down the opposition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mike Whiting. I was looking for how to contact him, but i don’t do twitter.
Give Mike the benefit of wanting to remain impartial (unlike the TV commentators who are typically highlighting any incident and calling for weeks.
Rewatch the incident - Rankine stops, looks at him, the launches into him. A bit different to Fish’s explanation!
Fish is just categorically wrong in this and hasn’t watched the incident closely. And secondly, how could you honestly defend that little turd Rankine for his sniping dog act. Disappointing by Fish being an apologist for him.

Fish is just categorically wrong in this and hasn’t watched the incident closely. And secondly, how could you honestly defend that little turd Rankine for his sniping dog act. Disappointing by Fish being an apologist for him.
Disappointed for Starc that he doesn’t get to play back in WA and see family thanks to that sniper Rankine. Enjoy your holiday dikhead.

I’d go Prior to take Starc’s spot in what will be Berry’s 150th game.

It will be hard, if not impossible to top Voss for Lachie. Voss’ intangibles and leadership made him a greater player than the stats. Having said that Lachie is pretty damn close IMO.

Ignore his achievements with the lions, Michael Voss almost single handedly dragged the BEARS to a flag in 1996 if he didn’t get injured. That alone would have made him outright the greatest player of all time, alas now he just has to settle for being “one of” the greatest.

Starce's form was shakey at best against the Deez too, let him go away & harden up for the finals series. Don't mean to be a bit harsh but both Cameron's & Hippy have dug deep n look like they've not only trained hard but also done some proper soul searching over the past month.

Morris should be a lock for a confidence boost next Sunday (Prime Time).

Need to get back to kicking 100+ again. We seem to have dropped off slightly last week n this week - need a good tune up from our forwards before we face Swans.

Lester was giving away a lot of height at times during the game. Figure match ups got messy after we lost starc. That led to him losing some one on ones, but he shouldn't be judged on those contests.

Might need to change up our backline structure if that's the case. A few top teams play 3 genuine tall forwards

Voss, Akermanis, Black and Lappin were elite and Lachie is up with them. I am not sure that Voss can be topped though.
Leadership - I agree with you the difference was that Vossy could physically carry the team on his back, he would do the right thing at the right time to lift the whole team. He was a man for moments, the first to get up out of the trench and yell, "follow me".

Crows on social blaming the umpires... they have got a dream run from the AFL this year in terms of a blockbuster draw plus a free extra home game from GR and they are still in 15th.

Partner is away for work so solo parenting and only got to watch the replay after the toddler went to bed. That was a definite gritty win. Happy just to lock away another win at this point in the year.

Disliked the crows top. Both teams with blue tops is dumb. The AFL is shocking for clash strips

Again I hate how we use the sub. If Morris needs a break then just rest him. Playing a third tall as a sub is tactically a poor decision. No idea why we are so bad at it. Although once Morris was on I love his inside 50 delivery. Smart ball user.

Neale, Dunkley and Oscar were a massive part of that win. Absolutely dominant from the middle. Absolute please again watching Neale play.

Really liked the Ah Chee forward tag. Completely tagged Hinge out of the game and then shut down Dawson after they tried to get him involved. Kicked a nice goal and just an underrated game. So many of the rest of the forward line had a poor game. So many burnt leads and poor decisions

Small forwards once again our big Achilles heel. Losing Starc when he was having a good game is an issue. With Answerth out we don't have any natural replacement. Might take another shuffle
So many burnt leads , that's the nail on the head .
Hippy burnning two players inside fifty only to kick it front of goal and it was a shit kick is prime example.
This part of our game does my head in , and it's all over the park. Maybe too often players are just dumping the footy on the boot to give us territory , but we all know how that goes against better sides.

Good win cause we won , not convicing and could of gone the other way with a few calls going against us.
I did think the Crows played a good game and controlled the corridor in front of Zorko , and did that well.
So walked away from the footy thinking we did ok to beat them , so credit due to the boys.

i know others would have stronger memories of the fab 4 than me, but neale is surely tracking in the right direction to be in the conversation for the greatest brisbane lion of all time
His greatest strength is his desire and work ethic to keep improving. Unbelievable one touch player. We are incredibly fortunate to have him

Back