Review Round 17, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions could be as high as third after the next round if we beat the Eagles and these results happen:

COLL v Geel (an upset on current form)
HAW v Freo in Tassie (not all that unlikely)
MELB v Ess (less likely but surely the Dees have to wake up sooner or later)

Maybe a 5-10% chance of all three happening but not statistically insignificant

not our best effort need to be far more clinical , defense was poor far too loose. forwards wasted way too many opportunities , midfield was fantastic.

need too improve quickly to keep the wave going. got too give it too the cows they stuck at it right too the end

Fwiiw I thought the trip on Daniher was a more dangerous action than the Rankine incident aside from the outcomes.

Incredibly no free kick was paid and fortunately Joe got up intact

But it was a deliberate trippng act when they were both going full pelt and deserves 2-3 weeks

Wouldn't be surprised if it's let go but deserves a week IMO

Lions could be as high as third after the next round if we beat the Eagles and these results happen:

Would need GC to beat Port, too.

Around a 5-6% chance that all 5 results go our way - one can hope!

Should we win, the most likely outcome is a move to 5th - I don’t mind the sound of that (for now).

Might need to change up our backline structure if that's the case. A few top teams play 3 genuine tall forwards
Agree it needs to be looked at. Not sure if there are any good options. Joyce for Lester? Beecken/Brain as a mobile undersized third tall? Not attractive options

I have Lester in front of both.

Agree it needs to be looked at. Not sure if there are any good options. Joyce for Lester? Beecken/Brain as a mobile undersized third tall? Not attractive options

I have Lester in front of both.

Yeah it would have to be Joyce. Or Andrews plays tighter and Lester has to pick up the slack with intercept marking

6 contested marks for Walker. Lester could get the Waterman matchup next week which will be really concerning

Truly awful take. Lester has been one of the more consistent defenders for our team over the last 18 months. Plays a role that often has him giving away height to decent forwards to allow Harris to play his game.

So many times Froggy is the player who makes that vital spoil or intercept mark. Not to mention the overlap or kick back into the corridor. Also needs to be taken into consideration that our game style often allows opposition mids plenty of space on turnover. Hard to defend that at times.

Who do you suggest takes Waterman? Joyce ? How did he go against Melbourne?

Truly awful take. Lester has been one of the more consistent defenders for our team over the last 18 months. Plays a role that often has him giving away height to decent forwards to allow Harris to play his game.

So many times Froggy is the player who makes that vital spoil or intercept mark. Not to mention the overlap or kick back into the corridor. Also needs to be taken into consideration that our game style often allows opposition mids plenty of space on turnover. Hard to defend that at times.

Who do you suggest takes Waterman? Joyce ? How did he go against Melbourne?

He's clearly been an issue recently when he's had to play on someone tall.

Georgiadis got a hold of him, Petty got a hold of him and Walker on the weekend. Earlier in the year Fogarty and Treacy made him look silly at times

He's been valuable as an intercepter and quarter back when allowed to play on the 5th or 6th best forward but when oppositions have 3 strong talls he becomes a weak link defensively

Unfortunately without Doedee and Dizzy we're short on options but might need to make some adjustments for upcoming games including West Coast, Sydney, Gold Coast and the Giants

Thought this was another good outing from the coach's box. Our plans for Hinge, Dawson and Rankine all worked beautifully, despite losing Starce early in the game. If the forward group had functioned well we would've won by 4-5 goals.

Looking at the votes I think there should be more love for Oscar's game. He bullied ROB and had some lovely hit-outs to advantage - something he isn't exactly known for.

Fwiiw I thought the trip on Daniher was a more dangerous action than the Rankine incident aside from the outcomes.

Incredibly no free kick was paid and fortunately Joe got up intact

But it was a deliberate trippng act when they were both going full pelt and deserves 2-3 weeks

I’ve cooled on the bump now and I think I agree with you, in hindsight that was pretty bad from Rankine. A bump is one thing, but that trip was just being a d*ckhead, plain and simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought this was another good outing from the coach's box. Our plans for Hinge, Dawson and Rankine all worked beautifully, despite losing Starce early in the game. If the forward group had functioned well we would've won by 4-5 goals.

Looking at the votes I think there should be more love for Oscar's game. He bullied ROB and had some lovely hit-outs to advantage - something he isn't exactly known for.

I think the loss of Starce was underplayed. Rankine wasn't getting near the ball while Starce was out there, at least not in any meaningful way + it took away Motty from our defensive half counter attack options as he was running with Rankine. TBH I think we win by 5-8 goals if Starce hadn't been injured.

Port also need to lose don’t they? Versing Gold Coast at Carrara.

I think the loss of Starce was underplayed. Rankine wasn't getting near the ball while Starce was out there, at least not in any meaningful way + it took away Motty from our defensive half counter attack options as he was running with Rankine. TBH I think we win by 5-8 goals if Starce hadn't been injured.
No doubt having Starce out there would've made life easier, but the game showed we put time into thinking about how to stop Rankine, and then the extra layer of game management when we adapted with Darcy. It could've been pure coincidence watching on TV but I noticed Fletcher go to Rankine a few times when he was further up the ground too.

No doubt having Starce out there would've made life easier, but the game showed we put time into thinking about how to stop Rankine, and then the extra layer of game management when we adapted with Darcy. It could've been pure coincidence watching on TV but I noticed Fletcher go to Rankine a few times when he was further up the ground too.

100% agree, was a good coaching performance. My point was only that it was a shame we didn't get to see it fully played out with a fit Starce.

Three things that need changing:
giving away Jack Crisp as steak knives;
letting Ben Keays go just because;
13 people on this forum giving Ryan Lester a vote for Sunday's game - must be Crows supporters. I tried the "change vote" button, but it wouldn't let me fix up the votes of the deranged. Seriously, nearly cost us the game; unelectable.

Starcevic effectively misses two games because of Rankine. Whilst further disadvantaging Lions on the night.

So baseline should be two weeks (that’s what Starce is missing), plus one or two for the action.

Hope to see Rankine cop 4 personally, but would be happy with 3.

On the game itself, we were incredibly patchy and wasteful. Play like that against a good team and we will get demolished.
I’d like to see him miss none so Adelaide are a chance of beating our 2-13th rivals in the next couple weeks

Would need GC to beat Port, too.

Around a 5-6% chance that all 5 results go our way - one can hope!

Should we win, the most likely outcome is a move to 5th - I don’t mind the sound of that (for now).
Sportsbet will give you odds of 24.24 on the multi for all 5 games to go our way, which is an implied probability of 4.13%.
First time I've looked at Sportsbet. I was just curious on what the probability is of this happening, and I'm not Rain Man. 5-6% is a great estimate... and probably close to the actual probability once sportsbet margin is factored in.

I just attempted the ladder predictor. Absolutely the hardest season I'm seen to try and predict what's going to happen. We could win every game, but more likely we'll drop 1-2. I was looking for a couple of games for Carlton to drop so we can sneak into 2nd, but I think it's unlikely. Maybe Bulldogs respond this week, but after that we're probably looking to Collingwood, Hawthorn, or even St. Kilda. At the sharp end of the underdog become less likely.
So hard to judge which variant of each team is going to turn up each week, and then the impact of an injury to a key player (ie. Weitering).

Last edited:

Interesting that Dew was in the coaching box during the game. The first time I think.

Loved your comment on Oscar. Really lifted after quarter time and dominated for the rest of the game.

Lester 1.92 . Fogarty 1.92 and Walker 1.94
Tbh Tex looks half the size again of Lester.

It's in the legs, arms and upper body

Fogarty's a strong unit as well. Similar body type to say a Dunstall

I stood behind Dunstall in the tote queue at the races once and I was just as tall but seriously he was twice as wide across the shoulders . A scary build.

Back