Prediction Round 17, 2024: Changes vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Out: Flynn, Rotham, Witherden, JJ
In: J.Williams, Burgiel, Hall, Dewar

Time to blood some more youth, Rotham and Witherden are delist material, Flynn has a had a poor start and should be dropped regardless as to whether he's injured or not. Swing Maric down back and trial him in Rotham's position, Burgiel to take Witherden's spot. I wouldn't be against dropping Darling either.

I'd like to see Ryan and Brockman get more time in the midfield. I liked what I saw vs Essendon.
Why because both are crap up forward and can't get a kick ??

Ryans defensive efforts are just putrid anywhere he plays forward or in the midfield ...yeah lets put him in the middle and when he doesn't get it lets just see the opposition just walk it out

Brockman is a halforward and can at least get some crumbing ball in the forward line...but F88k it lets just play another tall instead

Red Wing is an awesome concept. Opoonts can't go down the red wing so it works.

The fact they are just transitioning straight up the guts for a billionty shots from dead in front, 30m out, is irrelevant.

Red Wing Forever. Winning Games Never!

I don't ascribe to the whole 'credits' bullshit... it's just another Bigfooty meme. But it does seem that some players are out of favour for whatever reasons. Trew has been our stand-out performer in the WAFL, but struggles to get a game. Meanwhile, Rawlinson and Johnson were effectively gifted games so they could 'get a taste of it'. And I though it was premature gifting Hutchinson a game when he'd basically done nothing other than turn up at the club... particularly when we already had plenty of talls and overall availability was very good. Clearly match committee liked him.

Similarly, not sure why Culley wasn't given more opportunity... except maybe they were concerned about his match fitness? Strikes me that he would have been a pretty good sub option, given that he can play midfield and is tall enough (and has some success) as a forward. Instead, he gets one game, and then gets dropped... while Chesser performed worse.

A lot of selections just make no sense... there's no rhyme or reason to them.

Miguel Sanchez this "red wing", is it exclusively a West Coast thing or does it apply to other teams as well? Heard Simpson talk about it in one of the Schodown videos a few weeks back. Doesn't seem like it applies to other teams because out of about 414 players who played in the last round only 21 players (2 WCE players, I think) had less disposals than Chesser. This is pretty bad particularly when one considers that 18 out of those 414 players started their games as substitutes.

Masten in his last season averaged 16.6 disposals and Brander of all people averaged 15.3 in his last season with us - Chesser is averaging 10.3 disposals in 15 games this year. So Chesser is getting games even when he is performing worse than both Masten and Brander. If the stats don't matter and you are guaranteed games then most players on the list would prefer to play this role. May be there is a chance that one of them could play this role better than Chesser had done it so far. Not the worse thing Chesser too if we tried him in another role. For the record, I have no issues with Chesser getting games if the same applies to our other youngsters as well. Reid and Ginbey pick themselves, JWilliams played only because Allen got injured. Other 3 youngsters who played this went as follows: Rawlinson (sub, 65mins), Johnston (sub, 31 mins) and Dewar (1 full game, 2x sub for 35 mins total). Basically as a rebuilding team, the only youngster we are playing on a constant basis is Chesser who is under performing by most teams standards.

Anyway, given our last 3 years, I don't think we could fare any worse if we get rid of this role altogeth

I watched the Sydney game v freo and they try to make a point of using their wings. Players like Guilden who is one of their best players, delivers the ball I50 all the time from a half forward position. Instead of us who run out of defense and bomb it I50 from 80+ out. When Guilden was getting tagged they used McInerney on the other wing as the distributor I50.

Even when Fyfe started stagging Heeney in the middle they put him on the wing to outrun Fyfe.
I think the idea of a dead wing who just runs hard defensively and is not used going the other way is a waste of a player.
I also think that our defenders are either unable to pinpoint passes to our wings and don't even look for them.

Plenty of wingers still get involved offensively while working hard to get back defensively. McCluggage, Guilden, J Daicos, J Kelly, Duursma, Acres, Dempsey.
Simpson was one of the first to create this dead wing position with Masten but the game continues to change and this role needs a revamp. I'd rather we got caught out the back a few times like what was happening earlier in the season if it provides more offensive run and dangerous wings.

Still going with the following changes:
Jack Williams for Flynn
Maric into the 22 for Darling
Hall into the 22 for Brockman who drops down to sub
Possibly Hedwards for Rotham depending on matchups. Or Hedwards for Gov if he misses with his hand.

One of Burgiel or Johnston to travel, judgment call as to which of them would benefit from the trip or would be better off getting a game of WAFL.

There’s a balance between throwing a bunch of underprepared kids to be crucified and playing a bunch of underperforming experienced players. I don’t think we’ve hit it.

Earlier in the season we were giving games to players like Johnston, Rawlinson and Dewar. Not all at once, but dribbling them through to give them a taste of seniors. Against the Hawks we had one player with less than 20 games experience - Reid.

I think the reason there wasn’t say a Johnston, Dewar, Hall, Hutchinson in the side this week was because the club embarrassingly looked at the side we had on paper against the Hawks and were pretty damn happy with themselves.

‘We’re back!’

Which I kind of fell for as a supporter pre game too. Now looking at it, besides the players listed there was little signs otherwise we might be a sniff against a brilliantly coached, confident young Hawks outfit who are well drilled and know how it all fits - and most importantly how to play as a team

I agree his numbers and continuing to get games is somewhat perplexing. But part of me just wants to pump games into him as I reckon the alternative is either Gaff or Sheed and I really don't want that.

I will also add that I do see players continually burn him, either by hands or foot. There was one instance last game when when Duggan was charging out of the backline and Chesser was on the empty wing and immediately started sprinting past his opponent for the long ball over the top and Duggan looked at him and immediately went to the opposite wing that was basically 15 vs 15 players. It's happened multiple times this year in one way or another.
Sadly I think him being ignored may be due to a lack of trust in kicking it to him. He's taken a couple of defensive marks in the goal square, so it seems the opposition are more likely to kick it to him. He's averaging 2.2 marks per game this year, a wingman should be getting more than that.

I sit right near the fence, dead centre on the outer wing, where he seems to be permanently positioned, so I get a very good view. My issue is that he seems to float up and back and only gets involved when the ball just happens to come his way. I almost never see him demand the ball or show any true desperation to get involved. He must know better than anyone he isn't performing, so I can't work out what he's thinking. Is he operating under instructions or does he not know what he should be doing? If either of those are correct then what is the coaching staff doing?

That’s the exact same criticism that’s been leveled at other players who’ve been in the sacrificial “red wing” role. E.g. Masten, then Brander. Runs around filling space, doesn’t get enough touches etc etc.

If Chesser’s continuing to get picked in that role, maybe that shows he’s actually doing what’s being asked of him by the coaches.

Which is why I said a better topic of discussion might be (a) whether it’s an appropriate role for Chesser or (b) whether it’s a role we should still have.
Masten got plenty of the ball, unfortunately he was a turnover king. Chesser is Brander Mk II. Can run, jump, mark, kick, etc, just doesn't seem to be able to play footy all that well. I'd be staggered if he was being instructed to keep out of the play as much as possible and only get involved when the ball somehow came into his vicinity. If that's true then we have the worst coaching panel of all time.

Lets play all our young guys for the rest of the season so this season is not a total disaster.
Dewar Barrass Baker
Hall mcgovern Hough
Brockman Kelly Rawlinson
Reid Williams Hutchinson
Ryan Allen Waternam
Follwers Livingstone Yeo Reid
Bench Culley Chesser Edwards Maric

Delistings 2024 JD, Witho, Sheed, Gaff, Rothman if we have to pay out contracts for all these players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else get the feeling the JD makes it to 300 at the end of the year and then retire? That is how it is going to work out if he plays every game yeah?

We can dispense with the Darling out shit then thank heavens…
That's what he should be told.
We'll get you to 300 this year and you retire or you play WAFL and you'll get a few token games to get you to 300 next year.

Does anyone else get the feeling the JD makes it to 300 at the end of the year and then retire? That is how it is going to work out if he plays every game yeah?

We can dispense with the Darling out shit then thank heavens…
About a month ago I heard him on radio saying he was keen to go on next year.

I think he's now at the stage where he gets "managed" for occasional away games.

About a month ago I heard him on radio saying he was keen to go on next year.

I think he's now at the stage where he gets "managed" for occasional away games.

Was that the interview with hase and marto? Where he said he thinks he’s has 2 or 3 years left in him, it was hilarious when the interview concluded hase said he’s kidding himself if he thinks that he has that long left😂

Suma saying waterman is out this week , apparently the cut on the back of his leg is worse then first thought.

AvgJJf.gif

I think the reason there wasn’t say a Johnston, Dewar, Hall, Hutchinson in the side this week was because the club embarrassingly looked at the side we had on paper against the Hawks and were pretty damn happy with themselves.

‘We’re back!’

Which I kind of fell for as a supporter pre game too. Now looking at it, besides the players listed there was little signs otherwise we might be a sniff against a brilliantly coached, confident young Hawks outfit who are well drilled and know how it all fits - and most importantly how to play as a team
The Hawks want to win. I don’t know whether we do really or whether anyone really knows what we’re doing.

Besides the above uncertainty our prime movers were there in name but not so much body or mind.
Yeo has just lost his father, Kelly has come back from a month off and may not be 100% fit, Harley had come from a month off and wasn’t quite as sharp as he could be. Our skills generally were off and this was exposed by Hawthorn.

Apart from the above we had no game plan to counter Hawthorn and they were far too good, disciplined and played as a unit where every player knew and played their role. They played like a serious football team, we were just out there having a go and got spanked

Remove this Banner Ad

Back