Preview Round 17, 2024 : Geelong v Hawthorn, 4:35pm Sat 6th July, GMHBA stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

We're a better team than them now. Take our chances and we win 🤷‍♂️

Meek should crush SDK or Conway to give first use. Day, Newk, Worpel, Nash should own the clearance battle.

Wouldn't shock me if they went Mitchell for Sic. Frost to Cameron then Scrim and Weddle only have to cover Rohan and Neale. All the danger is with their smalls and half forwards. Serong also an obvious option. Biggest danger might even be them exploiting an Amon matchup.

Lewis for Dear is an easy change even if Calsher could get up.

Harry is a perfect sub, keep him there. Comfortable in all thirds of the ground and experienced enough to come in composed. He can even free up Jiath to go back in the hole as interceptor like he did early in his career which might be needed if Sic misses.

So no Sic would suck

But winning without him …?

Sesame Street Fainting GIF

In - Lewis, Breust,
Out - Dear, Sicily

We have been really patient with Lewis, and now time to bring him in happens to coincide with Dear's quietest game where he had zero impact and also copped a really heavy knock (into a 6 day turn around coming back from Perth). Ideal time to make the switch for the team, for Lewis, and also to give Dear a rest after a brilliant start in his first year.

I hope Sicily gets up, but we seem to play the long game with our injuries and while its frustrating short term it means when players come back they are 100%. We haven't had situations like Tom Lynch, or a 1/4 of West Coast's where players have looked underdone. It will hurt, but we will still rock a powerful 23. I would play the back 7 as Frost, Scrimshaw, Weddle, Hardwick, Impey, Amon, Morrison. Without Hawkins Geelong have been going a bit smaller and think we could cover and actually be an OK match up and hurt them on the rebound, and Gunston could also swing back if needed if something happened mid game to one of our 'talls'.

I'd love to have Breust start to play 4 quarters. With how many looks we are giving our forwards, he just gets amongst it and looks so dangerous even when on for a quarter and a half. I'm just not sure how we do it, unless we play Gunston as the sub, which is possible if we do go that short. Lewis, Chol and Meek drifting forward, with Breust, Watson, Moore, CMac, Ginnivan at the feet.. could cause some serious headaches. Then I'd play Watson a bit higher up the ground where he's looked so dangerous, and Breust closer to goal.

If Dear is fit and the plan was originally to give Gunners a rest for this one, I say we do that and bring in Lewis for Gunners.

ins:
Serong, Lewis

outs:
Sicily, Gunston

While the boys are up and firing, I say we throw down the challenge to the squad: win this game without your captain and with your on-field forward coach out of the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few other games between finals contenders this week all around us on the ladder.
Carlton v GWS,
Port v Dogs
Coll v Bombers
Lions v a better looking Crows (and still think the Lions are flaky)

Plus Suns v North @ Marvel...Yet to win outside of home.

What a massive game. Can't wait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back