Preview Round 17, 2024 : Geelong v Hawthorn, 4:35pm Sat 6th July, GMHBA stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawks may still get bad days like a young team tends to, but on Sunday their demeanour looked like a team which won’t be overawed. They just looked the goods

They weren’t getting the score befitting their first half, but they just kept plugging away. In fact their first halves have most likely produced a 20 point lead never much more than that

Last edited:
Hawks may still get bad days like a young team tends to, but on Sunday their demeanour looked like a team which won’t be overawed. They just looked the goods

They weren’t getting the score befitting their first half, but they just kept plugging away. In fact their first halves have most likely produced a 20 is point lead
They were rusty early from the bye.

Get those looks early v the Cats, and we'll put em to the sword.

If Sic doesn't get up the selectors will need to decide between bringing in a defender (eg Serong/DGB) or put Will behind the ball and bring in another mid.

Will be interesting to see which way they go.
Day won't go back

Either

Sic plays
Sic for Serong
Sic for Mitchell and play smaller

If Sic doesn't get up the selectors will need to decide between bringing in a defender (eg Serong/DGB) or put Will behind the ball and bring in another mid.

We aren't taking away one of our biggest strengths by moving Day out of the middle to cover an area we still have decent depth in with Scrimshaw, Weddle and Frost

The only thing that worries me about this game is that clubs generally have difficulty backing up cruisey wins when their next game is against a much tougher opponent. We need to be on, West Coast were not good preparation.

I'd imagine Lewis and Breust will play. If anything they'll send Morrison back to help deal with their small fleet.

Who are our matchups for their forwards? They have four dangerous smalls and a medium forward who kicked a few against us last time.

Stengle - Hardwick (Mitchell?)
Miers - Impey
Close - Amon
Dempsey - Weddle
Henry - Scrimshaw
Cameron - Frost

I know Weddle did a good job on Cameron last time, but if he's playing closer to goal then I think Frost should start on him.

Who are our matchups for their forwards? They have four dangerous smalls and a medium forward who kicked a few against us last time.

Stengle - Hardwick (Mitchell?)
Miers - Impey
Close - Amon
Dempsey - Weddle
Henry - Scrimshaw
Cameron - Frost

I know Weddle did a good job on Cameron last time, but if he's playing closer to goal then I think Frost should start on him.
Pretty much that with Neale playing too who is a big tall, Frost to him with Scrimshaw > Henry and Weddle > Cameron. Weddle/Scrimshaw takes the upfield tall, Frost deep.

Impey Amon on Miers/Close, Hardwick to Stengle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're all braver than me, being so confident.

We're coming off a bye and a soft kill against a VFL standard side.

Geelong are coming off playing the second best team in the comp then a battle in the wet at the MCG where they brushed aside their opponent with ease in the second half.

Need to set the tone early and not be caught napping. Feel as though we can't play catch up down there against a more experienced side, despite the fact we theoretically should be faster for longer with our young team.

I wonder what they will do with Stewart do we play the man or the position, as he and Tuohy just swapped and Stewart just played the same way but from midfield as his starting position they said on the tv.

Will Nash play Stewart if he goes back

The only thing that worries me about this game is that clubs generally have difficulty backing up cruisey wins when their next game is against a much tougher opponent. We need to be on, West Coast were not good preparation.
Said this during the game on Sunday.

The worst prep for a GF is a prelim smashing

The last time we had what I'd consider a cruisey win was against West Coast last year and then backed it up the following week with a win against St Kilda, who were 5th and we were 16th.

I'm backing the preparation that Sam will be doing beforehand.

If Sicily misses, Breust is the ideal replacement. Experience for experience, with a reshuffle of the backline.
Breust to revert back to his sub role/forwardline mentor.
His ability to provide in-game feedback to some of the younger players is invaluable. He genuinely seems to thrive in that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back