Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

We needed a ball winning Finn Maginess type in there on Saturday. He’s the prototype, we’ve invested quite a few years into him now and we need him to come good and become a best 22 lock.

I do wonder I assume it’s a lot to do with the ground and not getting used to it but when the heck was the last time we played Geelong and were never really in the game?
That cake tin shaped ground is a dump. Helps them clog the defense like nothing else, as soon as they took away our ball movement it was like we had no plan B. I think if it was at the G it would of been a bit closer

If we beat Geelong the twice we are in their ladder position and they in ours.

Hawks draw outside this is very similar to the cats, with obviously the same outcomes and after 16 games a decent sample

So while I can see where Sam says we have a way to go to match the top teams, had we won even on game v geelong, we are level with them
Yeah but they beat us by 36 and 51 points - both very comfortable wins - and they’re sitting 5th. Not even top 4.

We haven’t beaten a side in the top 6.

We needed a ball winning Finn Maginess type in there on Saturday. He’s the prototype, we’ve invested quite a few years into him now and we need him to come good and become a best 22 lock.

Finn unfortunately has no left side and not a great ride side by hand or foot and this is what keeps him out of the side.

Every man and his dog knows he can run a marathon in record time but unless you can hit a 🎯 then you are in strife.

Finn unfortunately has no left side and not a great ride side by hand or foot and this is what keeps him out of the side.

Every man and his dog knows he can run a marathon in record time but unless you can hit a 🎯 then you are in strife.
Doesn’t seem to be a place in the side for him then, unfortunately. We need a couple more players with his physicality.

We needed someone to nullify Stewart who was playing midfield and defense. If only we had a tagger who has also filled a similar role in the forward line.........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We weren’t talking about Lewis getting a free kick. It was about Kolo possible being “in trouble” - ie being suspended.

Having said that, this isn’t prohibited contact if the player has made the football their sole objective.

Otherwise guys putting their knees on someone’s shoulder to take a hangar or spoil the football would routinely be giving away free kicks because they’ve contacted the “step ladder” player on/above the shoulders.
That's incorrect. When you go for a spoil for eg and you whack someone's head instead of the ball is that not a free kick? Of course it is so don't apply that it isn't. No different if you go for a mark and get there late and take someone high. It's a free kick. Has nothing to do with going for a speckie as your using your legs. That should never be a free kick unless it's an unrealistic attempt. Can't understand this argument it was a fair and reasonable contest. Nothing against Kolo who is a fair player.

I find it amusing that Finn’s disposal is raised following the weekend when our ‘ball users’ kept fumbling it and giving it back so easily

Sometimes less finesse is required and you need a lot more grunt and body work.
Geelong knew exactly how to play the skinny ground.

Aside from Worpel, we didnt play well. Geelong opted for a hard, physical, accountable game plan, and we were shown up...Stewart was like the grim reaper in the centre. Cameron was a nasty see you next Tuesday. We had no one who could match this uncompromising toughness. Understandable really, given age profile. Other sides will now know the way to unlock us is physical intimidation. Geelong are prob best at employing this tactic. Hopefully the kids learned a valuable lesson...

Aside from Worpel, we didnt play well. Geelong opted for a hard, physical, accountable game plan, and we were shown up...Stewart was like the grim reaper in the centre. Cameron was a nasty see you next Tuesday. We had no one who could match this uncompromising toughness. Understandable really, given age profile. Other sides will now know the way to unlock us is physical intimidation. Geelong are prob best at employing this tactic. Hopefully the kids learned a valuable lesson...
Meek and moore had very good games as well

Can the club start looking into where the umpires live (regionally speaking) and asking for non biased umpires. How is Lewis allowed to be elbowed in the head is making me angrier and angrier.
If you want a good go of it by the umpires, then you follow the wrong club sorry to say.

Meek and moore had very good games as well
I'm holding Meek to a higher standard - we needed him to physically impose himself on SDK. I gave De Koning the points and pretty comfortably. That should have been a duel we win on the day.

He was by no means the only one but that was one physical battle we should have won.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back